Open today: 6:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
adventure of our lifetime

My family and I had an adventure of our lifetime with Idaho River Journeys! We disconnected from... read more

Reviewed October 7, 2018
ChristinaK1741
via mobile
Amazing fishing, rafting and crew!

The crew was wonderful and very attentive, not only with fishing but with their meal and camp... read more

Reviewed October 1, 2018
Bekah K

All reviews wine tasting fly fishing dutch oven lasagna middle fork every meal white water hot springs many years cakes natural beauty great company oar boat first class cowboy coffee making sure trout
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just got back from a rafting trip on the Main Salmon River. Did it a little different though and stayed in a lodge each night. Four nights, four lodges. Each one was unique and special in it's own way. It was absolutely a great trip. The guides were all charming and excellent boatmen (and boatwomen). This was my first rafting trip but definitely won't be my last. I highly recommend Idaho River Journeys if you're looking for a fun time in the beautiful Idaho wilderness.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just finished a " lodge trip" on the Main Salmon in Idaho--4 nights, 4 lodges, it was the best! IRJ guides are great, fun rapids, rustic and wonderful accommodations. A perfect trip for anyone, but especially for those who want to run rapids but don't want to sleep on the ground...the canyon is full of old homesteads and fascinating history, as well as rugged and beautiful country.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

For a 23-year-old I've had a fair share of outdoor adventures, but floating the Middle Fork was an incredible and unique experience. Though it was my first river rafting trip, it was soon apparent after talking with returning guests, experienced rafters, fishing guides, and our own guides, that this river with this outfitter is the cream of the crock. I found this easy to accept as truth. The Middle Fork of the Salmon runs strait through the second largest wildness area in the continental US (after death valley) and is endlessly scenic. Were there nothing else to do (very much not the case) I would have had an amazing week just enjoying the mountains, pines, and waterfalls. And the stars. Like you wouldn't believe. I slept outside more than in the tent!

Over the course of the week I tried to take in the experience in many ways. I had a great day floating, nice and easy, on an oar boat with my brother and mother while a guide navigated the roaring rapids with ease. I spent most of my time in paddle boats (usually 6 guests and 1 guide), which is a considerably more involved way get down the river. The paddlers all work together to ride through the white water, and in the calmer areas, exchange stories, jokes, riddles, etc. On my more adventurous days I would hop into an inflatable kayak for a wild ride. This is how one gets up close and personal to the raw power of the river. It takes some guts, guidance, and a rush of adrenaline to make it through some of the monster rapids. Or you do your best and still get thrown into the torrents and froth. All part of the adventure! There really is something for everyone.

Also for everyone: the food. Ahhhh the food. I would have been thrilled with trail mix and PB&J's. So, of course, I didn't mind Ahi tuna steak, gourmet salad, carrot cake, etc. Absolutely delicious. Every meal. I would also like to note that although I cannot eat dairy, every meal, despite my protests, there was a fantastic non-dairy option for me. Same went for the pescetarians, and, I imagine, any dietary needs. The guides were happy to accommodate, and were all very good cooks.

Which brings me to the guides. The GUIDES! Ahhhh the guides. If it's possible to pick one thing, the guides were my favorite part of the trip. They are all such kind, interesting, down to earth, intelligent, and talented people. I know it was only six days, and that we were just one trip of one summer, but they really are like friends, or family. I know many of the guests shared this opinion. They always helped make the time on the river fun, and I especially loved sitting around camp in the evening sharing a beer, playing cards, or guitar, or just telling stories. They work incredibly hard from sun up (or before) to sun down (or after), and are, nonetheless, always of a pleasant disposition.

Should I ever get the chance, I would ride the Middle Fork again with IRJ in an instant. Incredible, incredible experience.

1  Thank Kevin F
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I just returned from my third time on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho and have to recommed this trip to everyone! Idaho River Journeys (IRJ) is the best outfitter on the river for those who love adventure, exquisite beauty, great food, accomodations and meeting new friends.

Time on the river alone is worth the trip. It is 100 miles of unspoiled wilderness. It is one of the most beautiful places on this earth. We witnessed nature at its best, with stunning, warm and sunny weather every day. Bring your sunscreen!

Bob and Mary, who own IRJ, are warm and wecoming, and treat everyone like family. They hire the best guides in the business. Every one of them is a gem!! They greeted me with hugs and questions about my family, and were genuinely excited that I was back. I was thrilled to be able to introduce my two sons (26 & 23) to my "river family"!

The guides work very hard to help everyone have a wonderful time. The camping is first class. The tents are set up for you at every camp site, there are comfortable chairs to rest on, sleeping pads for a good night's rest, and the cooler is never empty. The guides spend time getting to know people and facilitate camp games, hikes, and fishing lessons.

The food is to die for. Mary's recipes are amazing!! They will specialize the food for any diet or allergy. My son is allergic to dairy and they always had something tasty for him to eat. All of the food is made from scratch and most recipes are cooked in a Dutch Oven...egg bake, corn bread, lasagna, pork roast, chocolate cake, apple crumble...something new and amazing every day! Every one of the guides is a great cook! We also had Ahi Tuna and beef steak cooked to perfection over the fire. I especially loved the "cowboy coffee"!

Not only do the guides work hard from dawn to dark, they are always laughing and friendly. They are very knowledgeable about the river and start every day with a talk about the area and the amazing people who lived there or passed through. They are eager to share this wilderness that they truly love with all their guests. They know places on the river to see Indian dwellings and artwork, waterfalls and great hiking. Each campsite offers something unique.

If you want the trip of a lifetime this is the outfitter for you! I've now had three of the best weeks of my life on the best river in the world with some of my favorite people! Thank you Bob, Mary, Jo, Rachael, Scooter, Skip, Anya, Erin and Nate for another incredible week.

This trip would be appropriate for families with teens and older kids, friends, couples or solo travelers.

1  Thank travelingbird333
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Last week I had the time of my life on the Middle Fork with Idaho River Journeys so I felt compelled to write this review. I'm 25 and run a small non-profit in Phoenix, where I enjoy getting out and exploring the outdoors. My mom has been talking about this river for the last four years - she's been twice before with IRJ. I've seen the pictures and heard the stories but it still didn't prepare me for how much I enjoyed this trip. For me, getting away on 100 miles of wild river sounded like a lot of fun. But being able to do it with my family and all the cool folks you meet made it even better. The IRJ guides are excellent stewards of the land and take a serious interest in you and what activities you want to do; whether it's rafting, kayaking, hiking, playing guitar, or simply relaxing with a beverage. They are also very knowledgeable about the wildlife and history of the Middle Fork and make sure to point out a lot of interesting spots along the way. Not to mention they also cook some seriously delicious meals. I mean, how often do you get to eat gourmet lasagna made in a dutch oven? Or filet minion while sitting in a national forest? These guys and gals have it figured out... and they even put up your tents! The last day was probably my favorite in terms of the whitewater. I spent the whole morning in a "ducky" - a small inflatable kayak - doing some serious rapids (only got flipped once!) and while that definitely got my heart racing, some of the less adventurous guests were able to easily get by on boats steered by our guides. Overall, I highly recommend getting out on the river with IRJ. They are a hard-working, fun, and family-oriented bunch that will show you a great time.

2  Thank Bret F