All reviews horseback riding top notch jet boating the entire staff steelhead fishing an adventure excellent hosts spent days very special place viewing wildlife boat ride once in a lifetime friends and family salmon the river hunting trip food was amazing
Reviewed February 26, 2019

I was extremely impressed with everything that Mackay Bar had to offer. Leading up to the hunt their communication was exceptional. They answered all my questions thoroughly and in a timely manner over the course of a one year period. They provided good references with past hunters as well. Once the hunt was here there was significant weather challenges that Mackay Bar handled excellently in order to get us to their lodge. Once we were there the accommodations were excellent. Our cook Shanna made outstanding food everyday, the best I have had by a mile on any trip I have been on. The country was extremely remote, rugged and beautiful making for gorgeous scenery. The guides Buck and Harry worked their tail off to make our trip as successful as possible. Overall I would definitely recommend an adventure with Buck and Joni and the Mackay Bar team. Thank you for a great experience!

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2019

We had a great time at Mackay Bar. From the time we got there we felt at home. Stayed in nice rooms, had great food, good company. The lodge always had a fire going and was cozy. I highly recommend staying here for hunting, fishing, or even just a getaway to a remote spot in the mountains. Views are incredible!

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2018

I have spent the last month trying to decide the proper review of my experience with Buck and Joni at Mackay Bar. I decided that a simple listing of good/bad observations as a means to justify the average rating.

Based of the number of excellent rating and their content being more towards the "guest ranch" aspect of this place my buddy and I decided to bring our wives along while we sampled the "outfitter" part of the business. Our experience with the facilities and people was very similar to those found in other ratings here. Buck and Joni are very nice people who have a great setup for those looking to have some luxuries in the wilderness. The wives were able to relax in a nice cabin and food was fixed in-house day/night for all. The accommodations plus beautiful scenery along with an adventurous boat ride in to the ranch all produced as advertised. This is a great "guest ranch" facility.

However, my close friend had not spent our money for R&R, we had come to hunt late season trophy mule deer with the potential option of a bull elk if presented. The "outfitter" side of Mackay Bar was a disappointment. A buck was never seen during daylight hours on this hunt. A very heavy amount of public traffic in our unit forced our great guide Jake to take us into very rough country to find deer that simply were not there. Now we found more sheep than I could count (if you draw this tag call Buck!) Elk were plentiful but the bigger bulls were long gone at this time. We spent 4 days going vertical in some of the roughest country I have seen to date and did not turn up a buck of any caliber. As Buck and I discussed after the hunt, this was never a guaranteed hunt, no hunt ever is, however when you spend 7k dollars on a hunt you should be comfortable in the idea that you will at least get an opportunity at an animal. Otherwise to me, where lies the value in the outfitter service? I could have done the exact same hunt in this unit DIY, not found any deer, and paid for a couple boat trips to get there. I have no doubt there are trophy animals in this area, but it is public ground that is hunted hard from my observations. This in turn, forces the outfitters to go into places where the deer just were not. These areas were not scouted prior to arrival so lots of time was spent trying to locate what part of the mountains the deer had moved into. Horses were not available to access any of the more distant hunting areas which limited our access. My honest assessment of the "outfitter" part of my trip was that this trophy mule deer hunt was an afterthought and much different from the awesome elk camp type hunts they provide earlier in the year. I believe Buck and Joni to be great people but for the price tag this hunt does not deliver. We never put a shell in the chamber on this hunt. Mackay Bar is a great guest ranch and would recommend to anyone, however the hunting (Late Season-Mule Deer) was very disappointing and lacked the fine tuning of a once-in a-lifetime trophy hunt. To not have at least an opportunity at a buck of any size on a hunt of this billing was disappointing, but to not even see one...... hard to imagine. I have never had this experience on any other guided hunts so I felt it necessary in the end to share. Best of luck to Buck and Joni.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
BuckJoni D, Owner at Mackay Bar Outfitters & Guest Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2019

Hi Cody,
Thank you for your heartfelt review and we're sorry for your disappointing experience. As you noted, our past reviews are exceptional and we strive to maintain outstanding service in all aspects of our business. We've taken your concerns to heart and will commit to improve in the areas that are within our control. Though we have spoken since the hunt, we are open to further discussion regarding this matter. Please feel free to contact us at 208-965-8355 at your earliest convenience.
Buck Dewey
Owner and Outfitter

Reviewed October 31, 2018

Buck and Joni were born to do exactly what they're doing by running Mackay Bar Outfitters. They're attentive and driven to make your trip more than you came hoping for and they make you feel like and old friend. Great food, incredible boats and guides and the best spot for a lodge on the river. We had a group of 24 and every single one of us had a blast.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
MackayBarOutfitters, Owner at Mackay Bar Outfitters & Guest Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2018

Thanks for the review!! Its groups like your guy's that we live for! Hope to see you next year!
Joni

Reviewed October 29, 2018 via mobile

First time here, definitely not the last! Buck and Jonie were awesome, and super friendly people. The cooks made some incredible food, and the guides were great! I'd recommend Mackay Bar Outfitters to anyone looking for an awesome getaway.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thanks! We Buck and I enjoyed having you guys here and can't wait for next year! Thanks for making our job so easy!!
Joni