Salmon River Motel(Riggins)(Great Value!)
$62
$140
The Rustic Inn(McCall)(Great Value!)
$119
$183
$161
HIExpress.com
$196
$174
$135
All reviewsjet boattri tippiece of heavensteelhead fishingbuckdaxbackcountryriveraccommodationsbighornlodgeelk
Reviewed December 5, 2017

From the moment we boarded the boat heading to Mackay Bar, until we said goodbye, this trip was one of the best mini-vacations we all have ever had! Buck and Joni, as well as their entire staff and Dax, were always giving their guests full attention, touring by boat the unbelievable historical areas, viewing wildlife and fishing along the way while on the river. There was horseback riding, hiking, or just plain lounging and relaxing. The food was incredible! - The meals were incredibly gourmet, and portions were always more than one could eat! The cabins were very clean, well cared for and very comfortable. We also found some great hats, shirts and outerwear to remember the Mackay Bar experience. If you are looking for a place to unplug/unwind and the ability to get some adventure, this is it! We stayed only two nights, but we are planning on returning soon, for an additional night or two..... better make your reservations now cuz we are coming back!

To Dax, Joni & Buck, we will see soon. It is great to see your family carry on the heritage of the Salmon River Drainage. Thank you for ya'll's awesomeness. James & Michele

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mejrs208
Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

Buck, Joni, Aubrey, Mike, Aunt Sue, Dax, Tank and Hank! You guys were amazing! Outstanding, clean, comfortable quarters and boats. Food was better than A+. Didn’t have to worry about anything during our stay. The views, landscape, mountains, river, wildlife and adventure were second to none. I give them my highest recommendation!

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank willow6868
Reviewed April 22, 2017

Joni and Buck are excellent hosts to their ranch. Suzie, Jason and Aubry and Ky were absolute pleasures and not a task they could not accomplish readily and cheerfully. The Jetboat ride is exciting with the realization of mother natures forces of water, absolutely spell binding. Buck Captins the Jetboat and wild water with the skill and judgement of a well seasoned Seaman. His "eagle eye" was quick to point out the natural inhabitants to the nearby mountains: Bighorn sheep with their tribe, grazing Elk with their herds, foraging Black Bear, Ospry diving for fish, Eagles with food for their nests --- it was like living the pages from a National Geographic Magazine. The cabins were comfortable and warm to the cool mornings. The thoughtfulness to the décor, storage, facilities of the cabin were great. The soft clean sheets were a welcome retreat at night, I slept like a baby. The western cabin-ness reminded me of my childhood vacations in the 1950's and 60's and was a welcome reminder of days gone by. The property was absolutely beautiful with all trees and flowers in full bloom, absolutely picturesque. I must mention Dax, six year old son of Buck and Joni. He is a living example for all those that believe the mountains, rivers, animals also have something to teach and guide individuals thru their life. Dax's life will be anything but conventional. He is a joy to be around as he learns the ways of his parents and sometines just right down entertaining. Jason and his crew put togeather wonderful meals, loved each one. The food was fresh, tasted like you would want it to taste and always had enough for seconds. Eating at the large table in the Lodge was totally enjoyable and gave me many memorable conversations to take with me for years to come. I would not change a thing about this vacation. It met all my expectations and more. It is worth your time and energy to visit this "piece of heaven" known as Mackey Bar Ranch.

Room Tip: Talk to Joni and Buck for the assortment of rooms, from a single room to a house is available.
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank Valarie P
MackayBarOutfitters, Owner at Mackay Bar Outfitters & Guest Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2017

Thanks Valarie for your review! We absolutely loved having you guys all up there over Easter. So many Family memories!
Hope you come back to see us soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2017 via mobile

This place is great. Buck & Joni will make your trip is perfect. 3 great meals every day, terrific fishing, hot showers, warm beds and no cell phones. Be sure to sit in the front seat on the boat to get the best view. This is paradise.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank Lee393

Thanks Lee! You guys are the best too . . Buck needs all the "teasing" you guys dish out! It is good for him . . see you at the Ranch this Fall!

Reviewed April 12, 2017

Our family just got back from our family business corporate retreat in Mackay Bar with four children under 6 (including 4 month old twins), and eight adults. Most of the party rode in on the jet boat, and one person flew in on an airplane. The grass runway landing was better than 99% of commercial airliner landings I've had. Buck would say it’s because of his superior runway upkeep.

We stayed in the Mackay Bar Vacation Rental, Cougar and the Elkhorn cabins. I cannot say enough great things about our accommodations. The cabins were newly remodeled and immaculate.

The meals were excellent. The best French toast ever. The Tri-tip with Twice Baked Potatoes was my second favorite. Buck and Joni and staff were kind enough to hold the twins while their parents ate (you cannot imagine how nice that is).

I have personally been to many of Idaho's Backcountry ranches and this is one of my favorites. I love that you can jet boat, ATV, or fly into this very remote location. Our group has already discussed plans to return in the fall.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled on business
3  Thank Cassie C

Thanks Cassie for your review! Buck and I had a lot of fun at the Ranch with you and your family . . so nice to spend time with all of you guys! Looking forward to an "annual" Trip!
We will be waving as you guys fly over the Ranch!
Talk soon,