“The fried rice is a local favorite”
Review of Fongs

Fongs
Ranked #34 of 75 Restaurants in Rexburg
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Rigby, Id
“The fried rice is a local favorite”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My daughter swears by this place. She went to school at the local college and loves it. I gave it a excellent rating for her. She loves the place I think it is fine. a good value. its so hard for these type of establishments to stand out

Visited June 2012

Spokane, Washington
“Really good!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We really enjoyed the food. The best BBQ pork we've had. We decided to split an order and get an extra egg roll. Big mistake, we couldn't even finish the one meal let alone the extra egg roll which was huge. We were traveling through and couldn't take to go bags. Perhaps a little too much oil for my liking, I should have asked for low oil, but still delicious. The staff was very friendly and good.

Visited February 2013
Rexburg, Idaho
“only get the sweet and sour chicken”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

the only thing that i like to get here is the sweet and sour chicken, everything is gross. Ive tried a couple of their dishes though, the sweet and sour is the only way to go wrong. do not get the chow mein, at all, its not traditionally what you would get, it's some wierd worm like slimyness.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank tpittman8
Rexburg, Idaho
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's not Chinese... it's Fong's”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Went here with a party from the university; service was fair enough, but really the food was really quite painful. They say food is always better when its free--well, I wasn't paying, and it still didn;t taste good. The fried rice looked like it came from Sam's Club microwave bags, and the sauces on the food was the cheapy syrupy stuff from industrial cans. I didn't quite throw up, but the MSG content did give me quite the headache and an upset stomach. Not worth the price at all, and the "Chinese" food at the university crossroads is better than this.

• Visited October 2011
Snagglescat
“Three strikes, you're out Fongs”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have tried on 3 separate occasions to like Fongs, and it's just impossible (If there was a way to give them a 0 rating, I would).

In general:

The decor is non-existent and that really hurts the atmosphere of the place. Even the Mexican place down the street had the "ghetto Mexican restaurant" feel to it.

I have a very discerning palate and can usually pick out the ingredients in a dish; I can't at Fongs (and just so you know, that's a bad sign). They have 2 sauces as far as I can tell: brown and red/pink sauce. I find myself wondering if they get it from a can b/c it tastes similar to other sauces I've tried at other generic Chinese places. The food is loaded with MSG, which I'm extremely allergic to, and the chow mien scares me. It looks like green sauce mixed with noodles and whatever the chef could clean out of the sink drain.

For each visit:
1) I came in and had sweet-and-sour chicken and it was exactly what I expected for a generic Chinese restaurant. The sauce had no flavor except that usual sweet taste to it. There was a lot and I didn't finish it. It had MSG in it so I was sick for the rest of the day.
2) I ordered take-out and asked over the phone what items were MSG-free. The lady said (in a heavy accent) "MSG yes." I had to carefully clarify that I *didn't* want MSG. Finally, she suggested the Beef & Broccoli, claiming that it had none of the toxic (to me) ingredient. The beef was okay, the broccoli was under-cooked, and the entire dish was smothered in brown sauce. This meal had a surprise at the end for me: another allergic reaction to MSG identical to the first one.
3) For my final visit, I got the orange chicken. It didn't taste like oranges, and I don't know if there was chicken in that dish b/c there was so much breading on the meat that I couldn't tell if I was eating pink-sauce-covered bread or chicken. And once again, I had an allergic reaction to the MSG, even though I had specifically asked them not to put any in it.

I'm guessing that the sauces are the culprit; they're the only thing that's been a consistent factor in each of my meals. I'm really skeptical that the restaurant makes the sauces from scratch b/c it they did, I don't believe I would have had my allergic reactions.

As for freshness, I was shocked and discomforted when a server told me that the chow mien had been made that morning and was served as it was ordered. I came in for an evening meal which means that stuff had been simmering for maybe 8 hours!

Sorry Fongs, I won't be back. I'm tired of having headaches, stomach aches, nausea, and vomiting every time I want some Chinese food.

• Visited May 2011