“A special place for a special night”
Review of Chef In The Forest - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chef In The Forest
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This little charming place a few miles outside of town is EXCELLENT. Quiet, easy to talk to your companion, great food.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We went to Chef in the Forest for the first time last Sunday to celebrate my son's birthday. It was a nice up to Hauser Lake, and really made it feel like we were getting away from it all. The building itself is a bit non-descript, with a somewhat coffee shop type interior – I was kind of hoping for something a bit more cozy or with character. My son ordered the duck, that had a berry sauce, and it was REALLY good. My husband was very pleased with his pork chop special. The pork chops were thick, and had a nice sauce. I ordered the Steak Oscar, which was disappointing as the crab was flavorless pieces – like from a can – rather than an actual piece of crab. The bernaise sauce was a bit weak.
The soup of the day was French Onion, which was a nice surprise. We enjoyed the tray of pate and horseradish cream spread that came with the tasty bread before dinner. This will definitely be our “go to” place when we are craving duck. For $26 it was fairly priced, and that included soup or salad.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Great place for a special dinner. Nice drive. Good food.

Reviewed October 30, 2010

We absolutely love the rack of lamb, the pepper steak, the german sauerbraten and especially the appetizer of mixed cheese and pate. The service is impeccable and the atmosphere so superior to all the other restaurants in Coeur d'Alene or Post Falls. The standalone building is a chalet in the woods complete with crackling fireplace and a view across the lawn to Hauser Lake. Our only recommendation for improvement would be with the desserts. They are very bland (especially the almost tasteless milk chocolate mousse) although they look enticing. Lemon or coconut layer cakes, rockyroad and peppermint chip icecream as well as perhaps a sweet ricotta cheese pastry would be welcome additions or replacements.

1  Thank Samantha W
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I heard that at one time this was supposed to be fabulous but read reviews that it was not the same quality. We decided to try it anyway. My entree of shrimp flambe was terrible and the vegetables were not fresh or cooked well. I could have gotten this at a chain for a lot lower price. My husband enjoyed his meal but did not rave about it.
Since living here I have found the restaurant Scratch downtown on Sherman to be outstanding. It is not cheap but it is a trea.