“We affectionately call this the Garlic Palace” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of White House Grill

White House Grill
Ranked #1 of 90 Restaurants in Post Falls
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Spokane, Washington
“We affectionately call this the Garlic Palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Don't bother if you don't appreciate garlic, otherwise... enjoy!

Staff is friendly, food is great! Only bad thing is that they are so popular that it is hard to get into sometimes.

Visited November 2013

• Arabic first
New Jersey
“Soooo much Garlic!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

You really have to love garlic here! The spring bowl was really very good. spicy but tasty and filling. The souvlaki was just good. So funny they have mouthwash in the bathrooms! Very crowded for a Saturday lunch

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Spokane, Washington
“Fried Fetta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Order the fried fetta appetizer. It is fantastic all by itself with a glass of wine. I have never had a bad meal here but I have had my eardrums blown out on Belly Dancing night. I don't go as much as I did when they had their West Wing location but when my wife and I are out and about we will stop in. The house wine is very good but the old Timberock version was excellent. This place is a gem offering a much needed cultural infusion to the Gem state. Raci the owner is a great guy and his radio commercials are hilarious! People keep talking about garlic....

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Roger W
Irvine, California
“Good food, but garlic in (almost) everything!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

First, we had no trouble being served, well and promptly, with water glasses filled often. Even though they don't normally split plates, the waitress cut our lamb sandwich special in half, and brought two plates.

I like Greek food very much, and have been to some very good Greek restaurants. I thought the pita bread was especially good here, just like my favorite place in Bakersfield California. Puffy, soft and warm! The only problem was, it was garlic pita. Don't get me wrong. I love garlic. I cook with garlic. However, I think they should have a choice of garlic and plain pita, just as most Indian restaurants have choices of naan. I don't want everything except my water to be loaded with garlic! Then, the garlic flavored dish is no longer special. Some dishes should feature garlic, because it makes them unique and especially tasty. Others should not, and for others, maybe there should be a choice (pita would be a good place for this).

I also thought the hummus and eggplant spread was especially tasty. I like garlic hummus very much, and on plain pita, I would have been able to appreciate this excellent hummus even more.

My nephew and I split one of the specials of the day, a lamb sandwich. I really love lamb, and this was a sort of lamb sausage, and cooked exactly right -- medium rare. The sandwich was on a very nice pita, and was stuffed with wonderful traditional Greek dressing and other goodies. It came with (at the wait person's suggestion two half-size sides, pasta salad and fries. I thought the pasta salad was mediocre, and I loved the fries, but they would be too salty for many people. I eat too much salt, so they pleased me. They were also nice and crisp, not limp.

My sister got a huge plate with curried chicken kabobs, very nice looking rice which she seemed to enjoy, and green beans, cooked just right -- with a garlic sauce. However, I thought it was appropriate on the beans, a great touch, and since I didn't eat any of the rice or chicken, I don't know if they were loaded with garlic, which might spoiled the effect of the beans. As it was, I really liked the beans! My nephew also got a large Greek salad that looked very tasty, very fresh, and was sprinkled with feta.

Later, we spoke with an acquaintance who knows many of the best restaurants around the greater Spokane area. She said she ate there once, but was turned off by having to eat garlic in everything. I know this restaurant take special pride in its use of garlic, but I think they could keep it as a claim to fame and marketing tool, and still offer some choices without garlic. I believe it might actually increase their business, since the food is well prepared and tasty.

The outside facade is getting pretty worn looking and could use some spiffing up, but it is the middle of winter. Perhaps they do things like that in the spring. Inside, it was a typical old-fashioned Greek restaurant with pictures of various people and scenes. For some reason, they have decided to hang all of these pictures at an angle. I'm not sure what they think that adds, but it is evidently part of the history of the place. I'm told it's always been that way. It is rather charming in an eccentric way.

I'd certainly return, but might try to find out if I could vary my choices between garlic infused and no garlic dishes.

• Visited February 2014
Spokane
“Great food and Great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

We live in North Spokane so it's a bit of a drive for us so we go to the White House Grill only for specials occassions. I have to admit some of the past TA reviews made me nervous about the lack of customer service. We went to dinner on January 3rd (Friday) at 6:30pm and were not disappointed!

They do not take reservations but we were seated within 10 minutes! We didn't even finish a half of glass of wine or beer before we had a table. We shared the French Onion Soup ($3.95) and it was piping hot and delicious! We both had the Mix Grill (Sea bass, garlic shrimp, and lamb - instead of the normal curry chicken) on a bed of garlic white rice and side of garlic green beans ($21.95 per entree). Sea bass was melt in your mouth delicious and of course the garlic is fabulously robust! Our waitress, Kathy, was excellent...attentive and friendly! The chef even walked around the restaurant and talked with each table.

We were so happy we made the trip and had a fabulous meal at the White House Grill!!

Our only wish - more parking spaces because they are so popular there is never any parking. :o)

• Visited January 2014