“Amazing View Out the Window”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandpoint North
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ponderay
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night this past weekend and had a GREAT experience. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable and the VIEW out the window was spectacular.....pasture land with creek and mountains in the background. The hotel staff was MORE than eager to help and very, very friendly. We didn't eat the continental breakfast, but took a peek and it looked very appetizing. There is also an indoor pool, which people seemed to be enjoying. We will SURELY GO BACK next September when we take in the Idaho Draft Horse Competition, which is just up the road.

Room Tip: rooms at the back have a great view......
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cathygSpokane_Wa

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Other reviewers have made negative comments about the WiFi. Interestingly, my husband and I had entirely different experiences. We each have laptops and I had not one single complaint about the Wifi. He, on the other hand, became so frustrated that he finally just gave up spending any time with it. I cannot explain it, but that was our experience.
Our room was on the second floor on the back side and had a lovely, pastoral view. We left our window open to enjoy the fresh air but be advised there are many trains in the area and if the sound of their horns disturbs your sleep, you might want to keep the window closed.
Beds were comfy and HIExpress has the very best shower heads. The breakfast was very good, in my opinion. Eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy were the hot entrees. I consider it a win if a protein other than boiled eggs is offered. Coffee is plentiful and very hot.
I found nothing to complain about and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side for a lovely, peaceful view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PinkSoxusa
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel was very nice. I stayed here on business so I didn't pay the bill and don't know what it costs. The breakfast was good and the rooms clean. My room was pretty big. It was not close to Sandpoint and it is pretty hard to get there and back unless you have a car of your own. I never found the shuttle that goes back and forth to Sandpoint and taxi service was unreliable.

The bed was very nice. The hotel has WiFi, you just need to get a code from them. My room had a view of the parking lot, not so scenic but I wasn't in my room much. The hotel has a small pool area with a hot tub. It was nice when I was there alone but it echoes a lot when there are children present. Overall an nice hotel.

I didn't eat at the adjacent restaurant, Lou's, but some in my business group did and liked it. Others said it was just ok. It is very close. There are also some stores close by, I think I recall a Walmart but I didn't go over to them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Terri R
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The good: clean, comfortable, fair price. Good view if you stay on the back side facing Schweitzer ski resort. Ample Parking, local restaraunt in parking lot.

It is not in Sandpoint, it is about 3 miles away, across the lake. The location is ok but not within walkig distance of Sandpoint.

The odd: air conditioner is tied into an energy management system (don't bother asking the staff, they would have no idead that is hooked up this way.) The temperature in the room was "ok" but you can set it cooler than it is preprogrammed. The temperature setting on controller is not what controlls how cold it gets in the room, you can make it warmer but not cooler. I like a constant fan for air flow and white noise, this was also controlled by the energy management system. This air conditioning system is a real nuisance.

The bad: WiFi - yeah, they can technically say they have WiFi. Like most hotels they call it "free" so that they don't have to guarantee it to work. The WiFi in our room connected but the speeds were like a dial up modem from 1994. It was unusable for even the most basic HTML versions of Yahoo or Gmail. If you plan to stay here for work, check the WiFi in your room before you unload.

I give them an "average" because WiFi in todays world should be as standard as running water. Like many hotels that want you to reuse your linens, this hotel wants to control your air conditioning. Maintain profits while reducing value. (I am in favor of business's making a profit). Pretty soon they will have all of the "Good Value" things whittled down to minimal and they won't be any different than the HJ accross the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back for a better view. Assume there is no internet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandpoint North, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Mark G,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is great to know that you found our rooms to be comfortable and you found our parking options to be adequate. I apologize if the Wifi connection was a disappointment. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon to show you our improvements.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Hotel is nicely located with rooms on the back side overlooking a stream, horse pastures, and mountains. Rooms are clean and spacious, breakfast has great selections and is well kept. Sports bar next door has good food, and a great selection of beers. Great access, good parking, I have stayed here numerous times now, and will be back many more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside, they are quieter, and have fantastic views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MrEquipment
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is nice and clean. The beds were comfortable. Not many channels on the TV. Hot tub wasn't hot and didn't have any strong jets. The hot tub is important to me so we moved after one night. It's also a bit far away from sandpoint.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank DonnaAndRC
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandpoint North, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear DonnaAndRC,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you found our hotel nice and clean as well as the beds comfortable. We apologize for the disappointment the hot tub and television channels had caused you. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This property is located on the north side of Ponderay/Sand Point. The property itself backs up to a very peaceful view of trees, stream, horses and mountains. You can enjoy this from the patio on the back that spans the width of the hotel.

The property is in good condition. The rooms were clean, large and comfortable. The breakfast area was run quite well. I did not catch the name tag of the girl that was running it in the morning, but she did an outstanding job of keeping everything stocked and clean.

We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back for a view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponderay
Best Western Edgewater Resort
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 6 in Sandpoint
Pend Oreille Shores Resort

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandpoint North? Share your experiences!