“Squeaky Floors!”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Pocatello
Manitoba
“Squeaky Floors!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We checked into room 126 which was located on the main floor. Thank goodness we weren't on the second floor, because the floors in our room made so much noise when we walked on them we would have kept someone awake all night if we had been above someone elses room.
Bed was ok, but just ok. No hairdryer which proved to be inconvenient since it was winter. Wouldn't be compelled to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Currently staying here because my little brother is competing in the Simplot Games and I hate it! Everything appears to be cheap and broken. First night, our headboard that was nailed into the wall (which makes absolutely no sense) came straight out of the wall. Next, the tissue holder that is also built into the wall (they have an obsession with this apparently) also came straight out of the wall. Then the next morning house cleaning did not clean our room. On top of that, we woke up the first morning to lukewarm water and the second morning to absolutely no hot water. I called downstairs and was told everyone is taking showers at once so I have to wait a while. Their water heater was working at full capacity. That's the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. This is a tiny hotel. Im a frequent travelor. I've stayed in hotels with thousands of rooms and could take showers for hours without fear of running out of hot water. Thankfully this is our last night in this place and there is no reason in life that I should ever return to Pocatello. But I wouldn't recommend the Rodeway Inn University even if I was given a free stay.

• Stayed February 2013

Travelers are raving about these Pocatello hotels

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here twice (Sat, Aug 18 and Sat, Aug 25) during a recent trip through to Vegas. It was extremely average. We have stayed here before, once in '08 and twice in '10. It has seriously gone downhill. I understand you get what you pay for but this was awful. The first time it was okay, rooms average and out dated, but everything worked. The second time, Check in was easy and the staff are friendly, they even gave us a heads up that the University was starting that week so there were a lot of students staying there until they found a permanent place, so it might be noisy. No big deal, we weren't worried about that, but the room was awful. It smelled like a granny's old air freshener when we first got in, and it didn't go away. I then went to wash my hands after using the washroom and the faucet leaked all over the back of the sink. There were also stains and chips in the wash basin. The shower head in the bathroom was hanging on for dear life and the bathroom fan sounded like it was going to fall out of the ceiling. The bed was brutal. Hard mattress and two measly little pillows. I used a teddy bear I got on my trip instead because he was fluffier than the pillow. The air conditioner was so noisy, it sounded like a helicopter taking off. Worst sleep ever and we had just spent a week in the noisiest city in America (Vegas) There was also a big hole in the grungy carpet and I felt so weird about going barefoot I wore flip flops the entire time.
I doubt we will stay ever again. After driving 9 hours to get there, all we wanted was a cheap, clean and quiet place to rest for the other 9 hour drive the next day. We definitely didn't get that. I will glady pay double or triple that of what we paid to get a clean, comfy hotel the next time. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here unless you A. Have too; or B. like wearing flip flops and ear plugs to bed.
Nice staff though. Very friendly and helpful!!

• Stayed August 2012
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This place is just a very standard old style hotel (a small two story building and a parking lot) located directly across the street from the university. It was still undergoing some remodeling when we stayed here. New paint, carpeting in the corridors and wallpaper were evident. But this hotel has a long way to go before it would be what I would consider to be just an average hotel. It still had an old look and 'scent' about it. The corridors, especially on the second floor were stifilingly hot and humid, unbearably so. Fortunately the AC in the room did its job. The rooms themselves had old worn out carpeting and old torn blankets, but the bathrooms were nicely redone with new granite counters and new tile floors.

I hope that when they continue to remodel that they remove those doors that join two rooms. The noise that penetrates these cardboard thin doors makes what could be a reasonably comfortable stay into one of discomfort. (In our case a small child cried for hours, his or her bed having been place in front of the door, keeping us awake. The combined noise from our AC and TV did not drown him or her out.) Why these doors remain in place at all I do not understand, especially in such a small nonresort nonconvention facility.

Because this is such an inexpensive hotel it was sold out when we stayed. The front parking lot was barely adequate to hold all the vehicles. Additional parking in the rear of the hotel was adjacent to an alley. I would be concerned with parking next here as the neighborhood where the hotel is located is a bit run down.

I would also like to mention that part of their remodeling has yet to include access for physically challenged individuals. No elevators or ramps anywhere. Secondly, if you are looking for a quiet place to stay, remember to take in consideration that a university is across the street. This creates an enviroment wherein young persons and their "personalities' saturate the local area. Our receptionist was a nice and friendly young lady. Everything else about the hotel was about average, room amenities, continental breakfast, etc.

My impression is that even after all the remodeling is completed this hotel will never be more than an average and cheap place to stay.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel overlooks the parking lot and the one way street in front of the university...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I had a work function in Pocatello, and wanted to stay somewhere close to the Portneuf Brewery and campus. This hotel fit the bill. It was right across the street from the University, and from what I saw it is a pretty nice campus. Portneuf Brewery was a short walk away, through a somewhat seedy part of town. I felt a little unsure about walking alone late at night, but I think the run down appearance is due to the students living in this neighborhood rather than a criminal element. The hotel itself is undergoing some minor renovations: new carpet, paint, etc. It needs it. It is a bit musty in the halls, but nothing repulsive. My room was on the second floor, I took the stairs but I think there is an elevator somewhere. The room was clean, maybe a little smaller than I expected, but plenty of room for me. Everything was old, but worked...except for the remote. The bathroom was very clean, which is usually one of my biggest concerns. They serve cookies and lemonaide at 8pm, which I thought was a nice touch. Breakfast is also included. It was a little lackluster, cereal, mini bagels, juice. I've had better. All in all, it's a good deal if you are passing through Pocatello and want to see the old town, the brewery, or be near the University.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank trish_dadish
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We decided to stay here it was a little cheaper than motel 6. When you first walk in the Door there is a smell. But the check in was smooth fast. Staff was friendly and informed us of hot cookies at night. went up to the room on the second floor with a queen bed and non-smoking room. It was nice and the bed was comfortable the furniture was a little old but the room was clean. And the breakfast was the typical waffles and ceral the coffee was real good. It was worth the cost. I will stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nampa
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Absolutely the worst hotel I've ever stayed in!! First of all we asked for non-smoking but the room smelled like it had been smoked in. In fact the whole hotel smelled like smoke. They put us in room 216 which was decent aside from smelling like smoke. We had gone to eat and came back around 10 that evening. Well little did we know they had put us right above housekeeping. I don't know what they were doing down there but the noise was so loud the whole night that we got maybe 2 hours of sleep. We didn't realize until the next morning that it was housekeeping making all the noise or we would have gone down knocked on the door and said something. We mentioned it to the lady at the front desk the next morining but she didn't seem to concerned about it. Thank God we were checking out, couldn't and wouldn't have stayed there another night. I don't care how cheap it was I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from housekeeping.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family