“I'm hating my stay”

Red Lion Hotel Pocatello
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Pocatello
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I've been in my cold room for three hours and have experienced the following:

1. The front desk representative failed to smile and welcome me to the Red Lion Inn when I arrived.

2. The hotel could use a new coat of paint around the trim and a cleaning of the vents.

3. The room is comfortable and good sized but very cold.

4. I haven't seen a tv as old as the one in my room at another hotel since 2009.

5. The hallway and the pool area are very cold. Perhaps a draft from the hallway is keeping my room cold.

6. I mentioned to the front desk that the room was cold and when I requested another room, they sent a maintenance person to check the heater/air conditioner. The maintenance man said the heater was emitting 117 degree heat. I arrived in the room at 5:00; my request for a room change came at 6:00. It's now 8:15 and the room is still cold. As mentioned earlier, the cold could be from a draft in the hallway.

In the past month I've stayed at the Pocatello Comfort Inn, the Ameritel, and the Red Lion. All are within a half mile of each other and each has similar rates. The Ameritel is definitely the best of the three: great pool, rooms, and breakfast. I rate the Comfort Inn and the Red Lion both far behind.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jadesroom
DavMalon, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Pocatello, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

I would like to thank you for your review! All feedback, good or bad, assists us in making our guests stay more comfortable. I would like to truly apologize for the lack of response to the temperature of your room. This is definitely not the type of stay we want our guests to have! We value you as our guest, and look forward to having you with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Pocatello

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The front desk staff was extremely helpful and very friendly; and the hotel was conveniently located (right off interstate 15 and next door to a gas station with a small convenience store). The hotel, however is dated, especially the rooms. The beds have full quilted bedspreads and the T.V. is what my teens call a "dinosaur" (not a flat screen). The room we stayed in had a musty/air freshener type smell.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel was given a 3 star rating. Most 2.5 Star hotels out shine this hotel. Hotel is dated, but the pool area looked wonderful. Room was dated, smaller bed than expected, TV is tube type and remote did not work. Pillow were very small and not adequate even though there was 4 of them. Breakfast is minimal, but due to my room choice, I had to pay for it, which I expected to, due to the price I received for the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
DavMalon, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Pocatello, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

I would like to thank you for your review! All feedback, good or bad, assists us in making our guests stay more comfortable. This is not the type of stay we want our guests to have! We value you as our guest, and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed our visit. We don't stay at Red Lions very often and the only reason we chose this one is they offer 15% off if you join their rewards program (which is free) and that made their rate the cheapest among their competitors.

After driving a big UHaul all day we were thrilled when we found out there is a restaurant (more of a lounge but with a good menu) on site. It was so nice to be able
to have a cocktail and a good meal without having to drive that truck anywhere else for the night. Service was a bit slow but friendly enough.

The hotel was very quiet. Almost in a creepy way but that's just me. I think I only say 2 other guests the entire time we were there and they seem to run on a skeleton crew.

All in all I would definitely stay here again and recommend this place for those looking to stay a night or two in Pocatello.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank JeannieSattler
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We like to stay at the Red Lion in as it accepts pets and the standard rarely varies. My only complaint was the bath tub still had some hair on the side of the tub. The beds are getting a little old but still comfortable. It was one of the cleanest hotels we have stayed. The water would have been nice at check in but maybe next time. Also, I have updated our address several times but it seems to keep reverting to our address of over 3 years ago.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2014

First, the good parts - our king-bed room was spacious and nicely furnished, with both an armoire TV/dresser combination, a counter-height cabinet with refrigerator and microwave inside, a desk with plenty of light and power, and a chair/ottoman combo. I loved having plenty of room both near the entrance of the room and throughout. The property has that old traditional Red Lion flavor I used to love, but haven't partaken of for many years. And unlike so many newer properties, it still has plenty of nice heavy covers on the bed!

The property itself is in a good location, with easy access from the freeway and a main road leading back into town, plenty of services nearby.

Downside? The beds are no longer evenly firm, although still comfortable. The pillows were lumpy. The internet was a joke - .3 to 1.0 mpbs was the best we could do. They offered a direct-wired option, but no cable to go with it. The TV was functional and cable stations sufficient, but the TV was outdated compared to the flat-panels in most properties today.

We were not able to experience the pool area due to an accident that day requiring shock treatment. I was glad they took the situation seriously, even though I missed trying it out. The area appeared to be set up nicely, with both a kiddie pool and a large pool and hot tub. We did not try the food as we were visiting family nearby.

The housekeeping unit is located on the southeast side, first floor. They left their carts out in the hallway for quite some time, which leaves one with an odd feeling when coming in from the back entrance. Still, for the amount of time we spent there, we didi not notice extra noise coming from that area.

Would we try this one again? Quite likely. Mostly because of the size of the room. In spite of the downsides, it was a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: This two-story property does not have an elevator. Make sure you ask for a first floor room if you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Breakfast was horrible, costly for bad food. Breakfast staff growled at us on entry but never checked on us after the growl. Pool- so cold babies lips turned purple within minutes. Old pills on floor. TV all static. Internet-turtle slow. Not a 3 star! Needs re-evaluated.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
DavMalon, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Pocatello, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

I would like to thank you for your review! All feedback, good or bad, assists us in making our guests stay more comfortable. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you encountered. This is definitely not the type of stay we want our guests to have! We value you as our guest, and look forward to having you with us again soon.