“Ruined our Honeymoon!”

Black Swan Inn Luxurious Theme Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Pocatello B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2012

DON'T stay here. Waste of money. We thought it would be really cool as part of our honeymoon to have a one night stay in the Tropical Forest room. It was really ghetto. We walked in and everything seemed really fun and unique, but then we smelled the humid mold smell. The blinds in the room were broken so there was a gaping hole in our blinds we couldn't cover with anything. The phone was broken so we couldn't call down to the front desk; the spa only had jets that worked for one person at a time and the spa leaked everywhere. Even the microwave that we were supposed to use to warm up our 'breakfast basket' was broken. Only a couple of the buttons worked! Not to mention the walls are so thin you can hear EVERYTHING going on in both of the rooms on either side of you. And when we were checking out, nobody showed up at the front desk that day (nobody came in to work?), so we had to call the emergency management number in order to tell them we were checking out. Seriously? NOT worth the hundreds of dollars they charge per night at this place.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there IS a good room here.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Thomas789
blackswaninn1, Owner at Black Swan Inn Luxurious Theme Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

(I was in the process of writing my response and must have hit something that sent it before I was done and so I am resending a new response)

I am the owner of the Black Swan Inn. First of all I regret that this couple had a bad experience and that they think we ruined their honeymoon. As you can see from our other reviews on Trip advisor, we work hard and want everyone who stays to have a wonderful experience. As we checked out their complaints, they were partially correct on a couple of items. One of the blind slats was broken on the end, about 6 inches and three of the numbers on the microwave didn't work. I wasn't aware of the microwave problem until they told us. The jets on the tub worked fine. One button turns on the jets, but each jet is individually controlled. The phone had some static, but it did work when I tried it. The rooms are actually pretty sound tight. There was a guest that night who had their music turned up very loud. We did have a complaint from another guest and we called them and asked them to turn it down. The night they checked in, water started leaking quite badly through the ceiling in the room below their room. We called up to the room and they said that they had filled the tub to the top and when they got in, water overflowed. They made it sound like it wasn't a big deal and blamed the water leaking from going through some tile that was missing some grout. It was a big deal! We had to get a shop vac and suck up the water out of the carpet in the room below. We had to compensate the couple who had the room rented for that night and we had to close the room down for repair. The sheetrock was saturated and the paint had peeled off the ceiling. At check in, the guests signed a paper saying that they would pay for any damage done to the room. I assumed that they felt bad and so I wasn't going to charge them anything. The next day after they had left, I filled the tub to the top to make sure that there were no leaks. There wasn't and everything worked fine. The other thing is that they had reserved the room for both Saturday and Sunday night. They called Sunday morning and wanted to cancel for Sunday night. Even though they were in violation of our cancellation policy, we told them we would refund their card for Sunday night. They had mentioned that no one was in the office Sunday morning. When they checked in on Saturday, we informed them that our office is closed on Sunday but we have managers that live on site and there is a cell phone number they can call at any time if there is a problem. There are a few other things I could mention, but I think this response will give a good idea of what happened. I have to admit I am surprised, hurt, and disappointed that they wrote such a negative review about us. Sincerely, Larry Fisher

There are newer reviews for Black Swan Inn Luxurious Theme Suites

Reviewed February 27, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the black swan inn to celebrate our engagement and had a wonderful time. We will definately be staying again but trying a different room for a new adventure.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed October 29, 2011

My husband and I have stayed in several different rooms over the years of our marriage, we go for each anniversary to the Black Swan Inn. The staff is always friendly and helpful, and the rooms are beautifully decorated with interesting details. We always chose the Perkins breakfast and go for a late brunch and just have a few items of food we bring on our own to enjoy at night and in the early morning. We love that there is a mini fridge, microwave and dishes to use. This particular room is the most spacious one we have been in. It is gorgeous and as we walked in the soft music, dimly light ambiance and water fountain created a very inviting setting for our romantic evening - kid free! This particular room also has a sauna :)

Room Tip: If you live close enough there is an open house to view all the rooms. I recently did this when I ha...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alison A
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the Black Swan Inn as a treat to cap off a family RV vacation. We stayed in the Arabian Nights suite and were just so impressed with the attention to detail in the room. The bath faucet was a magic lamp, the coat rack was a sword, the table base was a camel and the canopy over the round king bed had stars that blinked randomly to look semi-real! The rooms have oversized jacuzzi tubs, so we took advantage of their spa kit which had very yummy smelling bath salts and body balms. They have a small library of DVDs you can pick from (for free) to take movies back to your room. And the entertainment system (yes, not just a TV on the wall!) had great sound. Although we don't plan to be in Idaho again soon, this is a place we would enthusiastically recommend to anyone going to Pocatello or any destination nearby (like Salt Lake City).

Room Tip: There are upstairs and downstairs suites, but it's all stairs. If stairs will be an issue, ask...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank soitz
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Room was intriguing, but pricey. Friendly and helpful front desk clerk. Breakfast basket choices were like winning a $10 shopping spree at 7-11 or Circle K; i.e. not for the gourmet. Creative room design; enjoyed the round bed, big screen TV and Jacuzzi tub.

This facility is more of a "boutique hotel" than a "bed and breakfast". Minimal interaction with facility staff, and no interaction with other guests (often the most interesting part of a B&B stay).

If we were in Pocatello again; probably would not stay here. $200 a night is a lot to spend, even for a nice room, but with a cheap breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I were touring the area and this was our second to last night. He had no clue about the reservation. When we first entered the room he was at first stunned and then got a big grin on his face.

We loved our experience there. The tub was a perfect size for us and I had brought some bubble bath. The bed was comfortable though I would suggest they bag the satin sheets. We had to remake the bed twice during the night.

The breakfast choices were lovely.

The tree shower concept was good, but the two shower heads didn't really work together and the shower curtin needs to be washed.

Overall, we loved our experience and if we are ever in Pocatello again (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN) we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Wonderful for a romantic evening!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet suite, and I was amazed by the creativity and craftsmanship. A cobblestone path leads you from the door past a suit of armor and then divides to take you to the main room or the "throne room," which was a very funny and very clever touch. The heart-shaped tub beneath a lattice of grapevines was filled by a water-spouting gargoyle. Castle turrets containing either a shower or a staircase leading to the bed and balcony above stand on either side of the tub. The huge flat screen TV sits on a drawbridge high on the wall across from the bed, but still visible from the tub. There are murals and mirrors and electric candle lights that dim, and I could go on and on. Stop reading this and book your suite now, I tell you!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple