“Effortless. Peaceful. Relaxing. Content.”
Review of The Sweet Retreat

and 1 more site!
The Sweet Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Lower Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I just returned home from Bequia after spending 4 nights at the Bequia Sweet Retreat for our honeymoon. First we were speechless. Then WOW, was the first word that came to mind when thinking of the Sweet Retreat. And then a flood of other positive adjectives came to the surface.

THE VIEWS: WHOA – you see the ships coming in and out, sun glistening on the water and hear the slight waves of the ocean.

AT NIGHT: You will hear the tree frogs and crickets – which we found most peaceful. There are neighboring stray dogs that you will hear sometimes – but that is no fault of anyone but nature. They are on all of the islands and you will hear them no matter what. Unless you are like my wife and me, and enjoy ourselves so much through the day that you are so tired you sleep through everything.

FLEXIBILITY - Robert and Shelby are both extremely considerate of all their guests needs at all times, even offering us to use the upstairs room to pack and shower on our last day since we left in the afternoon. Given that this is the beginning of their high season, we couldn't have been more thankful for their accomodation.

Shelby and Robert are the most gracious hosts one could ask for, above and beyond any expectations we had (and we both have been in the hospitality industry for 13+ years). And man, Shelby can COOK! The dinners are worth every penny – we would pay more. I don’t know of any place in the US where you can get a gourmet 3 course meal for what they charge. And the flavors and choices are out of the world. Also, waking up to Shelby’s made-fresh daily muffins EVERY morning is something you do not want to miss. The chocolate chip … no, apple… no, white chocolate & almond was a few of the best muffins in the world. Fresh cut fruit to also start off the day is a huge plus! There was even a cake served for dinner that my wife LOVED so much that she jokingly said she could eat it for breakfast. Shelby remembered and Robert brought out a piece the next morning. Now that is a personal touch. Yes, she ate it during breakfast…because it WAS that wonderful. Also, Robert was so attentive to all of the guests and ensured that we all had our preferred beverages at all times and would consistently ask if there was anything else we needed. Such attention to detail was greatly appreciated.

The room was very clean and Felisia was always so friendly when coming by or when she saw
you on the deck. She also personally makes the bread that is served during dinner – which was so YUMMY.

Shelby and Robert were very helpful and patient explaining the island and locals to us. They arranged transport to the hotel, even when our plane was diverted and we had no way to communicate to them that we were arriving by ferry instead. They arranged a tour of the island and transport back to the airport without any hesitation and we had no worries. Anything we needed or questioned, they had the answer. They lent us an electrical adapter/converter so that we could charge our laptop and phone and also allowed us access to their wireless internet, which was unexpected, as most places charge to utilize their internet.

We went snorkeling (the gear was included in the rate) and Robert gave us a wonderful run-down on everything. It was my wife’s first time snorkeling and given that one of the best spots to go is only seconds from the front door, we could not ask for more.

For the price – OUT OF THIS WORLD – is all we could say.

Room Tip: The Brown and Green rooms are both excellent for one or two people, with awesome views of the harbor...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neil T

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at the Sweet Retreat last month with my boyfriend for a week and I have to say that it exceeded all of our expectations. The island and the hotel itself are somewhere that we will most certainly consider visiting again.
The main highlights of this trip had to be the attentiveness of Robert and Shelby and the wonderful views out over Lower Bay beach (and of course the fantastic breakfasts). Robert and Shelby run this small boutique hotel with a great enthusiasm and it really pays off in their service. They both garner a wealth of knowledge about the island and surrounding areas and were constantly on hand to help.
The location is fantastic, with the beach only a 30 second walk away. The days can be easily passed down here with a (surprisingly strong) rum cocktail and the cool breeze. Despite the rooms not having air-conditioning this didn't affect our sleeping with the temperate climate and strong ceiling fans keeping us cool during the evening.
The great value evening meals at the Sweet Retreat are certainly the best we experienced whilst in Bequia, hence why we had dinner here every night except one!
Overall, we had a wonderful stay in Bequia and only wish that we had an extra week to relax in Lower Bay. I would definitely recommend this island for couples.

Room Tip: We stayed in Yellow Room 1, which has a large bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sophie A
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We recently did a 3 island trip in-which everything was wonderful except for The Sweet Retreat. First the positive. The Sweet Retreat is located on the Lower Bay which is a wonderful quiet beach with beautiful water and sand. The location of the B&B was great. However the rooms and the service were quite awful. When booking I mentioned that I was concerned about the lack of air conditioning. I was told that there were constant ocean breezes and that there was no need to worry. However, every single night was incredibly hot. There were no breezes whatsoever and even if there were, you would have to leave your doors open which would subject you to a very large amount of mosquitoes. The mosquito net helped but we found that it was far too small for the bed and would eventually come open during the night. Every morning we awoke to the buzzing of mosquitoes all around us and neither of us slept at all due to the heat and the constant barking of dogs.

The worst part of our stay was the service. Shelby was a ghost the entire trip, we only saw her once as she was walking up the stairs. Robert seemed to take care of all of the guests by himself which he struggled with when the guests were all present at the same time for breakfast. There is a bell in the main room that you can ring to get Robert's attention if you need anything. Supposedly you can ring it anytime during the day (except for a two hour window in the evening), however we always felt that we were being a bother if we actually used it. When we did finally use it, we asked Robert to call The Friendship Rose to organize a Tobago Cays trip. We waited for about an hour and rang the bell again and he told us that he had called and that we absolutely must go down there to book it because they have several options. So we got a taxi ($16USD round trip) to the city center and found that the ship was undergoing repairs and had absolutely zero options for us. We asked if they had gotten a call and they said they had not. What a waste of money and precious time! So we went back to the hotel and rang the bell again to ask Robert to call another place. Immediately after ringing the bell, we hear Robert yell "Oh [--]" and he came storming out. He said "What can I do for you THIS time?" After asking him to call another tour guide for us he said "Yes of course" and immediately slammed the door RIGHT in our faces. Needless to say we never heard back from him and never rang the bell ever again.

If it wasn't for the extremely rude service, the bugs, and the heat, it would be a decent place to stay. However, I would never recommend staying there and would avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid the Green Room. The communal balcony overlooks it and the other guests can see right into you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank EatEverything
thebeachBequia, Owner at The Sweet Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Review Reader,
This is the second review that the reviewer has posted, Tripadvisor removed the first one. We think that that is significant. Tripadvisor, is a useful tools for travellers to share their experiences of establishements in an objective/subjective manner. Our first 26 reviews collected over a 2 year period, is a reflection of their experiences. However It also gives an author the opportunity to post regardless of motive, agenda, accuracy, fairness, honesty or appropriatness. We brought the first review to the attention of Triipadvisor and as we mentioned Tripadvisor removed the reviewers original review.
Our payment policy at The Sweet Retreat is that we ask for a deposit on booking and the balance and any extras upon departure. We do not ask for sureties or credit card imprints, prefering to trust. So we woud like to ask the following questions; If it was so awful
Why did you not complain at the time - you did not.
Why did you not check out and stay somewhere else. - you did not
Why did you did you stay for the full length you had booked for, eat, drank and generally enjoyed the facilities and amenities - which you did, only to sneak out in the dawn hours without settling your bill? Incidentally we notice that the reviewer only gave a 2 for cleanliness, every other review gives 5 or 4.
On a lighter note if anyone knows of a ghost that can cook, bake 20+ sweet and savoury muffins a day, delicious meals as outlined in previous reviews please ask it to contact us! We would encourage you to look past this and read the other reviews which we feel is a fair reflection.
Shelby & Robert

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed in early April as part of a 6 island hopping holiday from St Lucia down to Grenada. Sweet Retreat was great for us and Robert and Shelby who took over, extended and run this 'boutique' hotel do a terrific job. The food is excellent, we especially enjoyed sitting out on the terrace relaxing with a rum cocktail and spectacular views and descussing with Robert which special dish to try for dinner. They were always helpful and really want your stay to be the best. Visiting Bequia there are 2 main choices—to stay in town and travel out, or to stay out/probably near a beach and travel in. For us staying at Long Bay was a good choice as we enjoyed the walks into town or over the hill and down to Friendship Bay, but in the height summer you might need transport. Rooms are well equipped but on the smaller, basic side. There is a hill to climb up to reach the hotel and rooms can be hot with some mosquitos. Also try the Reef bar and restaurant on the beach, the model boat builders in town are really worth a visit and a trip on Friendship Rose schooner is a real treat. Bequia is a delight, local people were lovely, it would be easy to spend weeks here—I'm sure we will come back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dansview
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I must admit that when I first arrived at The Sweet Retreat I had some reservations, particularily when I saw the steep driveway and all the steps. By the next day I was a pro - please keep in mind that I am a 61-year old woman who hasn't exercised in ages - so - if I can do it then so can you. LOL
The views, not only from the main terrace/lounge areas but also from our rooms, were phenominal! It is absoultely impossible to describe the beauty and the peace it seems to bring to you as you gaze out over the water, the moored boats and the homes on the island. It was just as amazing at night as it was during the day.
The B&B is owned by Robert & Shelby who are there when you need them and give you all the privacy you could possibly want. They serve up fresh coconut water (my 1st try), which I am now hooked on, fresh fruit & several baked goods for breakfast that are delicious. I must admit I'm hooked on Shelby's banana bread! Then, they also allow you to reserve dinner, listing their daily specials on a board. Everything was so fresh & delicious!
Oh, did I forget to tell you that the beach is right across the street from the bottom of their driveway? This is Lower Bay Beach. FANTASTIC!
Staying at The Sweet Retreat was a wonderful experience that I would gladly do again & again.
The only "heads up" I would give you is that there is no air conditioning, which also had me very worried when I first arrived. Believe me, the breezes are so wonderful, not to mention the fans within your unit. I did not suffer in any way! :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marion C
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My Boyfriend and I stayed at the Sweet Retreat for two nights as break from sailing our very small yacht in the Caribbean. The hotel has a beautiful position overlooking the main harbour in Bequia and is very close to the beach and some lovely bars/restaurants.
The rooms are very clean and the beds are huge and very comfortable.
Shelby and Robert (owners) looked after us very well and cooked amazing (and very good value) dinners, and provided tasty breakfasts of freshly cooked muffins (Shelby will bake around 4000 this season), fresh fruit salad and fresh coffee.
A great base from which to explore Bequia.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunkissedHampshire
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My wife and I scheduled a 3 night visit to Bequia on the way to a longer visit on Mustique, largely because of the wonderful reviews about the Sweet Retreat on Trip Advisor. We're adventuresome in our travels (I'm in my early seventies), as long we are in beautiful, natural surroundings, that are clean, quiet, comfortable and private. Sweet Retreat was just perfect! Owners, Robert and Shelby, are delightful & informative hosts who we would look forward to being friends with in any environment. Their on-site breakfasts and dinners were so fresh, organic and tasteful that there really is not much need to go eat elsewhere. All in all, we had a wonderful stay at the Sweet Retreat.

(P.S. Ask Shelby about "Molly," who has a stand in town where she sells necklaces, bracelets and jewelry that is exquisite and not at all expensive).)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
#2 of 16 in St. Vincent
Firefly Bequia Plantation Hotel

Been to The Sweet Retreat? Share your experiences!