“Superior setting”

Best Western Lodge At River's Edge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Orofino
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I’m riding a motorcycle through the Lolo Pass and looking at my map to see where I might spend the night. Nothing appealing appears until Orofino where the exterior and setting of a hotel just seem perfect. I stop to check availability and price, and shortly afterward find myself in a very nicely appointed, river view, king bedroom with balcony at a very decent rate. I go in search of a nice bottle of vino; the helpful and friendly hotel staff is able to supply a tasty Idaho white for a modest price from their in-house cooler. Next door is a pleasant restaurant where I dine on the terrace overlooking the river, and chat with a local forestry expert about drought, fires, pine beetles, and the need to preserve the beauty of the locale.

The next morning I head off on my voyage, refreshed and ready for whatever the road brings.

What a lovely place to spend a night or two.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank SilverL
There are newer reviews for Best Western Lodge At River's Edge

Reviewed August 29, 2007

The Best Western in Orofino is a really nice place to stay. We had considered staying at a resort in this area but it was much too expensive. Then we found out about this hotel and got everything we would have had at the resort at a huge savings!

The hotel's location could not be better -- located along the extremely beautiful Clearwater River with a view of the mountains and towering cedar trees. We splurged on a riverfront view room with a balcony and it was absolutely worth it.

The rooms are very nice, clean, and comfortable. There does seem to be a problem with the air conditioning, but the room had ceiling fans so it wasn't much of an issue for us. We found the front desk staff to be very friendly and they seemed to genuinely care that we had a nice stay.

The buffet breakfast is probably the best of its kind that I've encountered. Fluffy scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, sweet rolls, fruit, plenty of everything, and a nice spacious area to eat with plenty of tables. There's a nice patio outside overlooking the river where you can eat or relax anytime, and they even had fires going in the cool evenings.

Excellent pool and hot tub area too. I was very impressed with the facilities and hospitality at the Orofino Best Western and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2007

I generally have had good experiences with Best Westerns, but this one went above and beyond all expectations. I'm not sure when it was built, but it feels very new. The room was very comfortable with a nice, contemporary decor. The rest of the hotel was very suited to the local landscape, and the view from the main lobby/breakfast room of the river and hills was very nice. The internet was a little slow, but that's a minor complaint. My only regret was that I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank doobious
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We stayed here for one night on the tail end of a family vacation in June 2006. This hotel is nice. It is new and in perfect condition. The surrounding scenery is pleasing. The hotel sits at the confluence of the Clearwater and Dworshack River. Sitting on the patio on the warm clear summer evening we were there was very enjoyable. The rooms were pleasant and the ones the river side have small balconies that overlook the river, which is a nice touch. Our room was spotless and quiet. A group of electrical lineman was at the hotel. They were finishing up a project and had a big patio party the night we were there. We never heard them once we retired to our room. We used the indoor pool and spa but found it a bit stuffy. It is probably really nice during the winter months but during the summer it would be nicer if it were outside. We found the management polite and accommodating. Initially we had a room that did not face the river. When we arrived and saw the view, the management gave us a complimentary upgrade to a river view room. The complimentary breakfast was good but nothing special. I would definitely stay here again if in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bill_from_Washington
Reviewed February 27, 2007

If you are considering this property for a big party or event, I'd encourage you to reconsider.
The surrounding landscape is beautiful, but the communication and customer service from the staff was some of the worst I've ever experienced.

My wife and I reserved rooms here last summer (June 2006) for our wedding guests. 5-6 months ahead of time we initiated contact with the management. They had change of management at least once during that time, but they did not inform us until we contacted them and found that our records were misplaced and/or misunderstood. My wife and I had multiple conversations with various people on their management team to clarify and confirm the arrangements. It seemed that each conversation led to another aspect that had been confused by another employee.
We started keeping records of each conversation we had with this hotel. In multiple conversations in the 2-3 weeks leading up to the wedding, the staff assured us that everything was arranged and ready according to our requests.
However, my wife and I had to leave our wedding reception, because our guests were telling us that they were being denied rooms, even though 3 days earlier, we had confirmed these guests' reservations with the hotel. My wife called the owner, because no one on the management team was taking any responsibility for the mistakes.
We never received any follow-up explanation, clarification, or apology.
We were blessed that the rest of our wedding was lovely, but this experience left such a bad taste that I have delayed any review of the situation until now.
Unfortunately, I think there is little motivation for them to make systemic changes, because they know they are one of the few lodgings available in the area.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank keski
Lodge9999, Owner at Best Western Lodge At River's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Our property was built and newly opened in April 2005. All staff were new, all procedures untried. We did a lot right, and we made some mistakes. Since April 2005, we have made many changes. Our personnel are now seasoned, trained, professional employees, led by a seasoned, trained professional manager. We have won many awards from Best Western for customer service, cleanliness and design. In 2009 we won all three top awards given by Best Western in their annual Best of the Best competition, and were the first hotel to ever have done so. We have consistently placed in the top 10% of all 2400 North American Best Western facilities. We are inspected by Best Western twice a year and have had perfect scores four out of the last four inspections. Our head Housekeeper, Lori Sutton, was named Herioc Housekeeper of the Year in 2009 at the Best Western annual Convention. Best Western Lodge at River's Edge made the cover and the lead aricle in the Best Wetern Way magazine. We continue to gather awards for exemplary customer service and cleanliness.
We are not perfect, and we certainly did not start out perfectly. We apologize to anyone who was frustrated or inconvenienced by our inexperience. Please try us again, and we guarantee you'll find a great hotel, with a terrific night's sleep, a great free breakfast, in a wonderful location, served by the best staff anywhere!! {All our beds are queens and kings and have always been.}
Paul & Lee Pippenger,
Owners

Reviewed January 20, 2007

A recent stay at this facility ended with a very poor experience. Long story short, my family was accused of stealing towels from this facility. My credit card was charged in excess with no valid explanation. While trying to discuss the matter with management; it was his word against ours and he won. We are locals that support local businesses. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they pay cash and personally take your towels to the front desk when you check out. I was so upset from this experience, I contacted the Better Business Bureau and the Best Western Corporate Office, to no avail. The facility is absolutely stunning: beautiful view, spacious rooms and impecable pool/spa area. However, being accused of theivery has changed our perspective of this hotel and it's management. I would use extreme caution should you stay here.

Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank FamilyFunx2
Reviewed October 31, 2006

What a beautiful property! No, we are not salmon fisherman or even hunters of deer. But we loved sitting on our balcony or in our hot-tub watching the fly-fisherman try to catch the elusive and wonderful steelhead trout!
We did splurge and rent one of their suites that have just about everything you would need....Jacuzzi shower with more nozzles than I could count on one hand, separate hot tub in room with stunning view of the river, flat screen tv in both living area (bedroom is not separated from the sitting room) and bathroom. Full refridgerator and microwave which was nice to store and heat up our leftovers from The Edge restaurant which is right next door to the hotel.
Very friendly staff, hot breakfast with hovering "little old lady" (if you have experienced it, you know what I mean), Lobby sells beer and wine.
Do be aware that the restaurant next door is not open on Sundays.
We visited in the height of the fall foliage. OK, it is not New Hampshire, but it is still beautiful!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheNunamakers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orofino
Helgeson Place Hotel Suites
#1 of 1 in Ahsahka
Clearwater 12 Motel
Clearwater 12 Motel
#1 of 2 in Kamiah

Been to Best Western Lodge At River's Edge? Share your experiences!