“Tastes like drinking dirt...absolutely disgusting... ” 1 of 5 bubbles

Sawtooth Winery
Ranked #4 of 23 things to do in Nampa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Tastes like drinking dirt...absolutely disgusting... ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

This place has shockingly bad wine... I knew when it was all twist offs....that it couldn't be too good ..but ..my fiance had been shown this place as her first wine experience. ..being all she knew... she took me here suggesting it was good.... so ...not wanting to hurt feelings...I went at the tasting with heart....trying to like it.... the only way...this wine could be okay...im assuming... is if its all you ever knew.... I cannot imagine anyone with a decent palate being able to stomach a glass of this wood and dirt flavored juice....it was like drinking a bad cigar..... I dumped every glass... I couldn't even finish the tasting size glasses.... the winery itself looks run down and dirty...... I was shocked that my fiance would even frequent the place... (MY FIANCE DID ADMIT TO ME AHE GETS A HEADACHE EVERY TIME AHE DRINKS THE LIQUID THEY CALL WINE)..... .and have since opened her eyes to some drinkable wine...thank god for my taste buds... .. and as I expected.... she had been brought there by someone for her first and only wine experience.....so it was an easy sell to get her on some better stuff.... save your money... youd be better off with a box wine at home....

2 Thank Tiny1096
Skrzypeks, Public Relations Manager at Sawtooth Winery, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Hi, Tiny-
Sorry to hear Sawtooth wines didn't agree with your palate. Likes are very subjective, and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to taste through.

It sounds like your travel companion's palate was more in line with national reviewers such as Paul Gregutt (Wine Enthusiast), Patrick Comiskey (Wine & Spirits) and Dave McIntyre (Washington Post) who gave "outstanding" recommendations on some the very vintages you found disagreeable.

Stelvin/screwcap can be off-putting to some, but as more research is published on preserving wine integrity (and avoiding TCA) this is a practice we're embracing - not just us, some of the best-known wineries in the world. We use both cork and screwcap. Our best priced tier is screwcap--incuding the (Wine Enthusiast-reviewed) 90-point Riesling.

Although the tasting room is fittingly "country", we assure you we take pride in not only meeting but exceeding cleanliness standards set by state code. This predicates everything we do.

It is our hope we have a chance to serve you again, and thank you and your companion for making the trip!

Boise, Idaho
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A relaxing wine tasting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently took out of town guests to Sawtooth for some wine tasting. I had last been out to the vineyard in December of 2010. I felt that we were able to taste the wines while relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere and the beauty of the area. We sat at tables in the wine tasting room and enjoyed the selections of some white wines which was our preference. We were happy with our experience and took home some of the wines that we had sampled. It was a lot of fun as we were able to sip our way through some very wonderful wines. I will not wait for so long to visit again. The tasting fee was waived if wine was purchased.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank codysmomnow
Nampa, Idaho
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“One of the best in the Snake River Wine region”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Like most wineries in the region it's out in the farmland a bit. We stock them at home as part of our regular wine choices and get out to the winery every month or so. The view in early spring/late fall - with a little snow on the resting vines - is fantastic. The wine itself is top quality.

Visited July 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Wine & Chocolate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We went to the wine and chocolate tasting at Sawtooth and it was wonderful! Prices were pretty reasonable, staff was very friendly, and the wine was good too! Don't trust Google maps to find the place unless you want a tour of the nearby dairy! Also, there is a dessert wine bar upstairs with a little gift shop.

1 Thank Erika A
Ellicott City, MD
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Nice way to spend the day in Boise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The drive to Sawtooth is not too long from Boise. Great variety of wines. The sample choices were very inexpensive. Kelly was very helpful when picking our wines. They also have free shipping for the month of December. Great picture opportunity from their deck.

Been to Sawtooth Winery? Share your experiences!