“The best Chinese buffet in Nampa”

Jade Garden Restaurant
Ranked #106 of 197 Restaurants in Nampa
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
nampa
“The best Chinese buffet in Nampa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

We've moved here for a couple of weeks and have looked for good Chinese food.Last night, my family & I dined in this all U can eat restaurant,they have a large selection of my favorite dishes - Mandarin chicken, spring roll, pep beef, crab rangoon & much more. The food is very tasteful & our sever is super nice. I can't wait to go back!

Caldwell
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Waste Your Time & Money On This Restaurant!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

This place was a total dump, and a waste of money. I don't understand why lots of people on here think it's so amazing. The cashier could not tell the difference between almonds, cashews, and peanuts -- we have a peanut allergy in the family, so we must ask if the restaurant uses any, wherever we go -- and the food was absolutely horrible! Horrible!

The chicken was stringy, chewy, and fatty -- very unpleasant in the mouth. The rice was dried up and crunchy, so it stuck together in a round ball, when I put it on my plate. The sauces & seasonings were all wrong, and none of it tasted very good. The things that I enjoyed most were the General's Chicken, that I found at the buffet line, and the glass of water that I ordered.

We had to specifically ask for straws -- they gave us none to begin with. And when we were first seated, they only gave us two flimsy napkins -- one for each my mother and I. They were small and cheap, and we dirtied them quickly, so we had to ask for more, and they gave us two more -- the bare minimum. If you're looking for cheap quality and a quick meal, that won't last more than a few hours in your stomach, this is definitely the place for you to go!

So, all of that being said, we made an early exit with our plates still piled high of half-eaten food. We went right to the bathroom, before paying, so that we could vomit and/or crap ourselves, because to be honest, we both felt very sick. No joke!

It was when we were in the bathroom that my blood sugar started dropping, & getting low -- I am a type one diabetic -- so we needed to leave, soon. We headed back to the cashier, and while my mom fished around in her purse for her wallet, I slumped myself against a chair and waited for the nausea to die down. It was then, unfortunately, that my mother realized her wallet was nowhere to be seen -- it wasn't in her purse, and it most definitely wasn't back on the table.

She assumed that she'd lost it, or someone had stolen it. She quickly explained the situation about my blood sugar dropping, and her missing wallet, to the person behind the counter, and the angry manager who was just conveniently standing there, waiting for the money. He instantly got angry, and his temper flared as he raised his voice at my mom, demanding her to pay that instant -- he was treating us as if we were criminals! He must not have seen me almost unconscious in the corner.

My mother repeatedly explained that she currently did not have the money with her, and that I was becoming ill. That's when she whipped out her business card -- which had her phone number, email address, and home address, in case the manager needed to contact her for any reason -- and offered to come back and pay the bill the next day. He still refused the offer, and that's when my mom boldly said that if this upset him so much, he could call the cops.

He gladly accepted the challenge and followed my mom as she dragged me out of the restaurant and towards our car. He gladly wrote down our license plate, and then we sped off, towards home. Almost the second after we stepped inside the door, the police department called, stating that the owner of Jade Garden really had called and reported the situation to them, and that he would press charges if we didn't keep our promise and come back the next day to pay the bill.

So after we were both feeling better, we called the last place we had been, besides the restaurant -- which was the Idaho Athletic Club in Nampa -- and it turned out that they actually had found my mom's wallet in one of the lockers. So we drove over, picked it up, and then headed back to Jade Garden, where we payed our bill for our previous meal. There was a different cashier behind the counter this time, so they didn't seem as angry as the whole staff had been the previous night. The manager of the restaurant nowhere to be seen -- no doubt embarrassed by his hastiness to report this "incident" to the cops.

So, that's our story of how things went down at Jade Garden. I do not recommend this place to anybody -- unless you like really unappealing, chewy food and an odd atmosphere. It's overpriced and I've seen better management at the local McDonald's. Just don't go, and waste your money and time.

1 Thank Katie N
Boise, Idaho, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Save yourself, go across street to Chung Hing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

This was the absolute worst experience I've ever had, and I've eaten in some pretty dumpy Asian restaurants I don't honestly know if the food was worse than the managerial ethos and atmosphere but both suck pretty bad. Had to ask for straws, when I asked for napkins they brought out only two cheap flimsy ones. Owner is nickel and diming, and he's not a nice man. I imagine his employees are even unhappier than they look. Both my daughter and I were sick before we left the restaurant. Big drama ensued when I couldn't find my wallet after my daughter's blood sugar plunged. Owner yelled and called cops on me. I see absolutely no redeeming value in the establishment, the owner or the 'service' provided for your hard-earned money. Pathetic.

1 Thank Enoebel
Belturbet, Ireland
“great choices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

We live in Ireland and travel back to Nampa to see the kids and grandkids once a year. We make it a point to eat here as we don't get this great food in Ireland. We go in with us and 3 kids/spouses and then 7 grandkids. They are always accomidating to our large bunch and the grandkids love to pick and choose what they want from their buffett. We have been here for lunch and dinner, you usually have more choices for dinner on buffett. Would def. recomend you eat here.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank smithhouse_ireland
Nampa, Idaho
“I really hate buffets in general. This is the only asian buffet I'll eat at.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

I'm a pretty regular customer at Jade Garden. Though one is always welcome to order from the menu, their most popular item is by far their buffet. The thing I like the most about it is the fact that you can select from many of their unique dishes served at the buffet, and you can compliment them with a fresh stir fry made Mongolian BBQ style right in front of your eyes. You don't have a huge selection of items like Mongolian BBQ, and the chef makes the sauce fresh, but it's always fresh, hot and very tasty. I really like the food and my family frequently dines there.

2 Thank nogrey