“Home away from home”
Review of Hostel Boise

Hostel Boise
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and myself moved to Boise area. We stayed in this hostel while waiting for our house to close. We spent about 2 weeks in this lovely hostel. It was our first experience in a hostel and we were very apprehensive about the idea of a hostel. BUT, we should've not! Elsa, the owner, and Carl, the manager and ground keeper, were awesome and very welcoming. The hostel is very homey and cozy. It has women's, men's and private room, full kitchen with dishes, microwave, stove and oven, fridge, dining table and such. It has very spacious living room with piano, 2 full bathrooms. We enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend this hostel to everyone! Elsa gave us an amazing deal! Oh, and it has free wi fi!!! Location is also very convenient, near shopping and i84. Great experience and great price!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed November 21, 2012

A a solo, over 60 female traveler, safety & comfort are my primary concerns in selecting a place to rest along the way. This is my first 'Hostel': and this name 'Hostel' does not describe this wonderful & well cared for establishment. As an experienced traveler, this was more like an 'B&B'! My original stay was for a couple of days but I extended my stay for a week. Why? Peaceful! Quiet! Comfortable! Value! It is out in the country, " The Country Place", which expains why I took so many photos. (my photos are from my cell phone) Parking available - After checking in, I took the 'Private' room with the Women's dorm across the hall and we shared a very clean bathroom. The Men's dorm and bathroom was located at the opposite end. The size of the living area, approx. 2000 sq ft., could be larger. I will say the layout was very spacious. The living room, just like home, cozy, comfortable & lots of books had this large window which looked into these gardens! This establishment is reflects all the work, care, love & giving of the Owner & the Manager. The Owner, she, is reflected in every aspect - from the tastefully decorated home inside to the well cared for gardens, flowers, & trees. These lovely, peaceful, gardens, flowing trees, colorful flowers,(even in November-flowers) ponds, walk ways reflect the love and care that created them. Yes, she even has provided a 'camp fire' area along with a warning sign "ghost stories, optional". During my stay several travelers passed through which made it 'like home': share a meal & good conversations. For most of my stay, I had the whole place to myself. Safety, was not a concern- security codes to get in, phone directly to Owner & manager and to add I believe they made rounds. Very secure & safe place. In closing, this establishment is so noted in my journal as 'the best kept secret in Boise, Idaho'. I look forward to the time I may return and schedule a longer stay. Highly recommend! Oh, I would like to share my story of the piano! (Photo attached) After asking if I may play the piano & receiving the go ahead, I begin to review several of the beginners books. I felt like a school girl learning to play all over again. (My keyboards have taken a toll) But take a moment & learn a song, read a book, take a walk and these memories, too, will be ever lasting. a Note: You may wish to purchase your favorite foods to prepare your meals. However the Owner did furnish us with FRESH EGGS,(home grown) Potatoes (home grown) coffee & teas. She must be some kind of 'super hero'. Why? You will be know the answer once you stay here. "The Country Place", Boise Hostel, is Family Owner, well cared for and has been given so much love that the flowers bloom in the Fall, the Trees Sing & all this Peaceful, Comfortable, Country Place can be yours. Value, Exceptional! Thank you for reading my review. Happy Holidays to All!

Room Tip: For the Women - dorm set up - very nice bunk beds. The Private Room is set up bunk beds but the low...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lizlang00
Reviewed August 28, 2012

It is out in the middle of nowhere but it is quite an oasis if you have a way to get there. The garden and outside areas are nice and the inside is pretty comfy. This is the first hostel I've stayed at that had a pumpkin patch! I had most of the house to myself and if you get there soon, the PBR I left in the fridge could be yours!

I stayed there because of the super-secure parking and reasonable rates. Keep in mind, hotels close by offer $30 a night by why not save 10 bucks and possibly meet some new people?

Overall: clean and cozy. A great place to hide away for a few days.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dave E
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times while visiting the Boise area and it's always been a pleasant experience. Nice homey living room and kitchen areas and a good selection of books. The owners are the ones staffing the desk, so you know it's a family-owned kind of place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed at this hostel as an overnight stop from Alberta to California. I was there during the off season on a weekday and had the entire place to myself.
As other reviewers have noted, you basically require a vehicle to stay at this hostel as it is a bit of a drive from town. That being said, it is worth the short drive to Boise or Nampa.
The hostel has great owners, very friendly and accommodating.
There is a full kitchen you can use, as well as a nice big living room, a porch, and a back yard area which looked very inviting, however I didn't have time to check it out.
All linens and a towel is provided, which was a huge bonus as I had forgot my towel and didn't have to buy one.
The beds are pretty comfy, the linens were clean and in good condition, I think my bed sheets were probably quite new.
The bathroom (an ensuite in the male dorm) was very clean.
Overall I would highly recommend this hostel, for only $21 a night it is a great deal as long as you have the transportation to get there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I were spending a week in Boise to check the city out; we are thinking of moving there from Georgia someday. We opted to stay at Hostel Boise due to the cheap rates and availability of a kitchen. Everything about the hostel itself is lovely: Friendly, attentive staff, beautiful setting, all the amenities were there. Sure, it's not a luxury hotel, but for a place to stay for a night or a few (we were given our fifth night free after paying for four) it's hard to beat if you're accustomed to what a hostel is and what it isn't. Only downside: It's a solid 20 minutes of driving from downtown Boise; don't plan on staying here without your own transportation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I took off on a drive across the country and decided to try US hostels for the first time. I booked a private room at Hostel Boise so that I could have a conference call. The place feels like someone's home and is perfectly comfortable, with a living area with games, tons of books, and an old piano. When I left my computer charger there, they called me and spent a ton of time figuring out how to get it to me by mail since I needed it for the rest of my trip. They were so helpful. I stayed here again on my way back home. It is not in downtown Boise, but a quiet neighborhood 20 miles or so west. I definitely recommend it for value and comfort.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo