“Conveniently located place to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Motel 6
Motel 6
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Moscow
Tacoma, Washington
“Conveniently located place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Duration: 1 night
When: Weekday
Price: $52 / night
Type: NS, Single Bed

I just read some of the reviews, honestly, not great, but its not disgusting to condemn the place, geez. (remember...you really do pay for what you get...but in some cases, you ca also get ripped off with name brand and price gouging). I've stayed in higher end and chain hotels that were comparable or even worse. So in all fairness to the Palouse Inn, I am going to share my experience in a fair manner.

To start, this is my second stay here, prior being two years ago on last minute. Both times, I got a room for myself, but got two differently laid out rooms and sizes. I'm wondering if some parts of the motel is older. Oh well. I know what "wing" to ask for when getting a room. This recent trip I got room 103 (it faces the front of the motel). Last time was on the "side" wing upstairs (215, I think)..this room was cramped (roughly the size of an average sized home bedroom).

The Good: It was clean. Has a fridge, microwave, singel pod coffee maker, and 25 LCD Samsung TV (has free HBO too). I had two desks with chairs. Hair dryer, lots of towels, black out curtains. Right behind McDonalds and Car Wash.

The bad: They still use keys with tag thingy - too bulky for me. The room did have a musty smell, especially if the AC/ventalation has been off before entering. Again....I see this in many hotels and motels. Turn the AC/ventalation on, leave, then come back...the odor will have subsided. In the bathroom, this may annoy some folks, but there is only a modular shower (no tub/shower combo). Don't know why anyone would want to soak in a motel bathtub anyway. lol. ewwww. Pass for me. Wi-Fi worked, but had a weak signal...nonetheless, I was able to surf the net.

In any case, if you need a quick place to stay, and cheap. Try this place. Also, not sure if most of you know, you can ask to see the room, before taking it. If its not to your liking ask for another - simple. I recommend not being angry when asking to change...typically some may get defensive, and can ruin your entire stay. Ya know, like a restaurant...don't say anything bad before you get the food...who knows what "extra" ingredients may get on your place. Gross reality, but it does happen more often than you think.

Enjoy. I personally had a decent experience both times. I'm a happy person, so perhaps I got happy results.

Room Tip: Ask for the front of hotel facing rooms. They are larger.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stay 8 nights. Charged diff price each nite. Room stanck so bad, went out and bought cans of Lysol. Staff didn't know what they were doing.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

This hotel was centrally-located in town. The room was clean and simply furnished. Appreciative that there was a microwave in the room. The price was right for our short visit in town. The free breakfast was very sparse, consisting of a few pre-packaged pastries. Plan on providing your own breakfast!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank l4dchamp
Boise, ID
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

When it's a special weekend at one of the local universities, you sometimes don't have much of a choice when it comes to lodging, because everything is booked up far in advance. When everything else is full, the Palouse Inn is better than sleeping in your car, but that's not saying much -- especially when it costs $130 per night! The chairsand carpet were stained, the shower sprayed out the shower door and couldn't be adjusted, the bed was minimally comfortable. Once, we were put in a room that absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke, although we had requested a "no smoking" room. The staff is pleasant, though. The location is very convenient, and the continental breakfast isn't bad.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Yakima
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

Stayed for Dad's weekend at WSU. Wasn't sure I was going to go until about 3 months ago. Tried booking a room, Palouse Inn was last room available in Moscow-Pullman. Rate was good for an event weekend and I see that non-events rates are really good. I've read other reviews of the rooms and they are up and down. Here's my thoughts. First, I was glad I had a room and didn't have to drive to Lewiston, especially since it snowed the first night. The room was fine, they are small, but worked. TV is ancient, but it did have a cable box. This is probably the lowest frills hotel I've stayed at in a long time. Room and property was clean. For the rate, I'd probably stay again, especially if traveling myself or with son/daughter. For my wife, I'd definitely upgrade if possible and spend the extra money. The beds were okay, towels better than I thought. So, during an event weekend I'd say go for it, no event weekend, shop around and if you want to save money for clean and cheap, I'd stay here.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank ExpeditionMan
arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

After reading the few reviews on this "Inn", I was rather frightened of what my stay was going to be like. Yes, the hotel is old and the interior reflects this. And yes, if you are staying on a football weekend it is WAY over-priced. But given the circumstances that this is a small sized community and lodging options are few and far between, it wasn't that bad. Rooms had the essentials and even had mini-fridges and microwaves. Good enough for 1 or 2 nights, but wouldn't recommend any longer.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelingod
Renton, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

I had to come back and write a review after reading the others on here and dreading my trip.
Look, This place is very small and very "no frills" but it wasn't unreasonable.
Yes, we paid over $90 a night but that is TYPICAL for any Moscow/Pullman hotel on a football weekend. The chain hotels charge upwards of $140 for a room on these weekends.
We stayed in one of the handicapped rooms so the bathroom was huge but the main room wasn't.
They have new flat screen TVs, new carpet and one-cup coffee makers.
We double checked under the mattress and behind the heaboard and nothing icky. No stained sheets, but we brought our own sheets and put them over theirs (I reccommend this if you don't know the place you're staying). It got a little noisy in the mornings

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wazzumorgan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moscow
Best Western Plus University Inn
#1 of 6 in Pullman
Hilltop Inn
Hilltop Inn
#3 of 6 in Pullman

Been to Motel 6? Share your experiences!