“Not Your Standard Pizza”

Maialina Pizzeria Napoletana
Ranked #4 of 92 Restaurants in Moscow
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We ate on the outside patio surrounded by screens of heavily laden potted tomato plants. The pizzas took advantage of seasonal ingredients-with carmelized onions, candied baby turnip slices, and thinly sliced fresh peaches on the special of the day. The clam pizza had fresh clams in the shell. Both were absolutely delicious!

1  Thank llheim

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great location for people watching - right on a busy corner downtown. The courtyard/terrace has planters with trellises and umbrellas to provide shade from the summer heat. We stopped for an early dinner, so did not sample any of the extensive wine collection, but did have pizza. It was definitely cooked in a wood-fired stone oven, and having been to Naples, we can attest that this pizza is authentic - and VERY GOOD! Super thin crust, hand formed, not rolled out, with simple, flavourful ingredients.

Two pizzas came to nearly $40 (with tip) so this was not an inexpensive restaurant, but it was CERTAINLY WORTH the price if you want real pizza that doesn't try to kill your tastebuds with generic, over-spiced tomato sauce.

We WILL go back and we WILL sample the regional wines next time.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Pizza is not up to par, or maybe they just have a different idea of what pizza should be. Crust was unevenly cooked -- burned in spots and undercooked other places. Poor topping distribution, with puddles of oil, no sauce in some places. Cheese is in strips, so there are globs in a few places and no cheese over the rest. Mushrooms black and slimy. I didn't try other menu items. My friends were happy with their gluten-free pizza, which looked like it was made better than the one i had, though its crust was also unevenly cooked, with some burned spots. I'm unlikely to return.

2  Thank roam-ID
Reviewed July 24, 2013

There aren't very many high quality restaurants in the Moscow area, but Maialina is definitely an exception to this trend. The food was delicious, the service was impeccable and the atmosphere was a very interesting and exciting change from the ho hum decor that other restaurants in the area display. I ordered a pepperoni and basil pizza that was delicious from start to finish, I highly recommend it to anyone looking to eat here. The server assigned to my table worked very hard and very quickly, and the other servers I saw around the restaurant had the same work ethic. Keep in mind that this was Mom's weekend at the University here and the place was packed, but the servers continued to work very quickly through the chaos. Finally, the restaurant had an old almost barn-like decor, wooden beams, wagon wheels and brick made up the walls. It felt very rustic and almost homey, a nice change from the sterile environments I've witnessed at other restaurants in the area. My only low point to speak of was witnessing one of the dish washers being questioned by a customer, and he seemed to ignore the person until the customer finally tapped him on the shoulder. I'm not sure what the problem was but I'd have to say that the dishwasher had some sort of goop in his ears to not hear the person for so long. Otherwise it was an amazing experience and I highly recommend it to all of you.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Tried Maialina for the first time this evening with some good friends of ours. What a delightful discovery!
We chose to be seated outdoors, under the festive lights and umbrellas, the patio also dotted with planters filled with thriving herbs, tomatoes, and flowers. It was undoubtedly the nicest al fresco dining experience I've ever had. Kudos to those who designed this space. First-rate!

Our waitress, Jordan, gave us a detailed description of every dish we asked about, mentioning the sources of the many fresh, local ingredients used in their preparation. It was evident that she not only knows all the offerings backwards and forwards (no mean feat, given the scope of the menu!), but also understands what makes each item distinctive and appealing. Her friendly demeanor, competence and poise added immeasurably to our enjoyment of the evening. The four of us each ordered a different pizza; all were superb, perfectly prepared. Can't wait to try others on the menu. We also shared a large Frisée salad, unusual and quite tasty.

Their selection of micros on tap was a thoughtful mix of craft brews. Tough choice, given all the competition in the wine department. (Next time methinks I'll have to try the flight of Italian
reds.)

We lingered over dessert, trying three different items (two of us ordered the special, a limonata cake topped with sliced almonds, locally grown Rainier cherries, and a creamy almond-cherry Gelatto.
My wife's choice, a deep, dark chocolate/hazelnut creation served with Espresso was also quite remarkable.

All-in-all, a marvelous experience. cant wait to return. Do not miss the opportunity to try this place!

1  Thank RodPullman