“Not Homemade”

Good for: Kids, Families with children
Boise, Idaho
“Not Homemade”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

In traveling throughout Mexico for years, I know that each State presents it fare differently using ingredients from their particular area. But a taquito is always a corn tortilla filled with shredded beef or chicken then deep-fried and presented in a variety of ways. On a whim, I decided to stop at Corona Village for lunch, and ordered a "taquito" combo meal. It was not a flauta (open-ended flour tortilla wrapped flute filled with shredded meat & deep-fried) which I expected, but a chimichanga (flour tortilla filled with shredded meat, wrapped like a burrito enclosing both ends then deep-fried until golden) cut into four pieces. Surprise -- not what I ordered! The middle was over-filled with cheese and some shredded dry chicken. The ends were too overcooked and crisp to eat. And, the watered-down salsa was heavy with oregano plus a piece of onion or tomato here and there. The rice was flavorful and moist plus the refried beans were creamy, although I ordered the rancho beans. The chips were warm, not homemade but from a institutionalized bag. I went there thinking it was an authentic mom & pop restaurant but was sadly disappointed. If you want to spend money on food you can make at home by opening a can, then spend away. So sorry I didn't drive a bit further to the new Cafe' Ole' on Eagle Road and give it a try.

• Visited August 2013

Meridian, Idaho
“A great place hidden in a strip mall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have enjoyed the fare at Corona Village for a number of years. I especially like their seafood creations. This one of the few Mexican restaurants that do justice to seafood. I also like the beef and pork offerings. In short I have never been disappointed whatever meal I order. The venue is a bit off putting as they are located in a older strip mall. The food and the service however is first rate. I will always return for a great meal.

• Visited June 2013
Meridian, Idaho
“Sick a second time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband was severely ill a few weeks ago. That's the second time in less than 6 months. We won't be back, nor would we recommend this place.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank 2paycheks
Meridian, Idaho, United States
“6 years of consistant great meals and best top shelf margarita in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been going to Corona Village in Meridian for 6 years now, and have never been disappointed. On the most part, we have good service, and the food is hot and fresh. My husband grew up in San Jose, California, and has grown up with Mexican food, and this is his favorite place for the south of the boarder goodness. I was never a big fan of Mexican food, but Corona Village converted me. Our son cannot get enough of their Carne Asada, beans and rice, and I am a big fan of every shrimp dish that they make. We have NEVER had a bad meal there in the 6 years that we have been going. That is a hard thing to say about any restaurant, and it is a rare thing to come by. When we do find this, we make sure we frequent, and let people know about it.
The manager "Speedy" is a very nice man who treats us like family when we come in. He told us that his consistancy is due to the fact that he has had the same cook for years. I have read other reviews for this place and feel that some are unfair, and I think that the reader should judge this place for themselves. I highly recommend the top shelf margarita as well. Perfectly balanced flavor with a heck of a kick. When my in-laws are in town from San Jose, they insist on a visit there for the great food and those killer margaritas.
Give this place a change, try some of the platters, have a great drink. Don't worry if you are not dressed to the nines, it is a casual family atmosphere, and by the way, all kids meals are $1.50 on Sundays. Fantastic value for a hugh plate of food for the little guy!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Meridian, Idaho, United States
“garbage”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

The server could not be bothered to help us, he was working with putting the moves on a couple of spanish speaking women in the place. Horrible, horrible albondigas soup. Horrible service. If you don't speak english, a good place for you to go.

2 Thank Roy C