“McCall's only choice for top notch food and wine”
Review of Narrows - CLOSED

Narrows
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Narrows offers fine dining with unrivaled Pacific-Northwest fare served in an unforgettable setting.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Every summer we come to McCall at the end of summer with our family. Every year, we need a night of adult only fine dining. I've been to most of the restaurants listed in the other reviews. Some have great food, but none of them touch the Narrows for what I consider fine dining. Dining to me is the whole picture. For example, if you can give me a great steak, but you're serving it in a room where I'm on a small rickety, wood table two feet from my neighbor....that is not my idea of fine dining. The Narrows is an experience from the start. From when you walk through the large front lodge doors the luxury of this special place is obvious. The lobby is tastefully decorated and the Narrows room is framed with floor to window picture windows of the beautiful lake. The table and chairs are substantial, comfortable and not pushed up next to your neighbors.

The menu has something for everyone. In fact, the last couple of years we've indulged in one of the best prepared foie gras dishes we've had anywhere, including San Francisco, Las Vegas and New York. The caesar salad is served with whole baby leaves and is extra fresh and tastefully done. The entree selections will cater to anyone's palate. My wife usually has the halibut special, while I have a premium cut of beef. Dave, the restaurant manager is now a certified sommelier, visited our table many times helping us pick a unique, special wines for our meal. We started off with a Dunham dessert wine in a 375ml to pair with our foie....perfect pick and the harmony was incredible. Then, as we both enjoy hearty reds, we picked a 2005 Husic Cabernet that literally wowed us. It was one of two Husics on their expansive Wine Spectator awarded list, but we wanted to see what the nearly 10 years in the bottle would do....and it was wonderful. As we were both pretty full, we decided to enjoy the cheese plate for dessert. We had a trio of gruyere, manchego and blue. the plate came out with accoutrements only seen in the finest big city restaurants: quince paste, local honey with the honeycomb, almonds and dried fruits. The whole experience was top notch.

Odessa was our server, and she did a wonderful job and took great care of us. Several others worked our table, using team work to make sure all of our needs were met. Dave, the manager, checked on us a few times to make sure all was well and that we enjoyed our special wine selections. It was a great experience and has gotten even better over the last few years.

Again, we've tried almost every top restaurant in McCall. It is our opinion that there is only ONE place to go for a special occasion or a fine dining experience. Many have great food, but if you want an elegant room, fine stemware (not a 14 ounce water goblet for your fine wine), and attentive 5 star service.....look no further than The Narrows at Shore Lodge. We go yearly and have not been disappointed for as long as I can remember. If you truly enjoy the best in true fine dining, don't miss the opportunity to enjoy place!

Chris B, Park City, UT

There are newer reviews for Narrows

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I wanted a nice venue for our anniversary and the Shore Lodge (The Narrows) was recommended by our friends that live in McCall. We had a very nice meal and the service was excellent (Our server, Odessa was very friendly and professional)! Our only regret was not booking on the water (didn't realize it was actually another restaurant)... Pricey but we had a very nice experience.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We've stayed at Shore Lodge for over fifteen years, and considered it one of the nicest hotel's, and resort in the state of Idaho. The dining experience provided at the narrows grill, not only has an amazing panoramic view of Payette lake, but also features an elaborate menu with many dishes that will not disapoint. I am shocked to see a few negative reviews of one of McCall's finest restraunts. The food, service and stunning view at The Narrow's is worth every dime.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We've been visiting the Shore Lodge since the first Whitetail days for about 20 years. The lodge itself is one of our favorite places in the U.S. and as innkeepers they do very well.

We've never had a great meal there under any ownership, plenty of average meals, and a few that were terrible, like ours last week. To their credit they took everything off the bill.

I ordered the "fresh" Alaskan Halibut for $28, and my wife had a salad for $8. I'd expect to pay up to the $28 in a fine dining place elsewhere IF it was truly fresh (it wasn't) and IF it was truly Alaskan which either it wasn't or the gross overcooking masked any flavor and texture the fish once had. My wife's salad was wilted. Both dishes were inedible.

The server dropped off the plates and never came back. We had to wait for the bussers to come to tell them the food was unacceptable. No argument, but a waste of time.

We usually go to The Mill in McCall. I don't know if it's reviewed here but it's a very good local steakhouse with decent prices and very good service. Embrace the Shore Lodge for a stay but avoid anything other than a basic breakfast for dining.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had a table of seven and it took our waitress, Odessa, almost 15 mins to come to our table. She was incredibly rude throughout the meal, could not crack a smile to save her life and huffed and threw a fit when we asked her to remove the gratuity she had put on our checks. At one point, the experience was just surreal with five staff doting on the two other tables while we were essentially ignored. With customer service like that, no wonder the restaurant was nearly empty.

Dan S, General Manager at Narrows, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Hi there –

We are disappointed to hear about your experience and appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We will address this with the team in order to prevent this type of disservice to our future guests. Your experience was an exception to our normally excellent service and we hope you’ll visit again and give us the opportunity to show you that we can do much better.

Thanks,