“A friendly place to stay”
Review of Golden Oak Inn

Golden Oak Inn
Golden Oak Inn
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Lewiston
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at the Golden Oak Inn in August of this year. I was so pleased that the lady at the front desk was so nice and friendly. She made us feel welcome right away. The room was large and it even had a bigger than normal refrigerator in it. It also had a toaster and a microwave. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. We were traveling with a little dog and she was also welcome to stay here. She felt at home too. We got a great nights sleep. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to other travelers. It is also in a very convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 17, 2012

I am still not sure if the sheets were clean but that's okay because for a 1$ to wash and $1 to dry I washed them, the blankets and towels myself. I have been here for 5 days so far no maid service done to my room. That's okay because I finally scrubbed up the calking over the top of the mold and mildew in my shower so it could soak in bleach over night. then I will re calk it. They should be paying me. I have shampooed carpet and washed walls and the chair had nasty stains on it, it's been shampooed tooo. I bleach doorknobs and light fixtures several times a day. I even booked room 5 days in advance and called ahead of time. I was asked to wait until afternoon so the maid would have time to clean. I checked in at 8:30pm I figured even the slowest handicapped elderly maid would have plenty of time to do their job. But noooooooo. If I wasn't desperate I wouldn't ber here, but it beats sleeping in a cardboard box.

Room Tip: make sure you bring extra padding I have not had one decent nights sleep since I got here do to the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Georgie H
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were in between moving and decided to find a motel to live in for a couple of months. When we arrived we found spill stains on the wall dirty shower and sink and wi-fi that lasted about 2 or 3 days before being disconnected, which I was assured would be fixed. Infact alot of the rooms there are occupied by permanent residents. One room had constant traffic and the room resident often sat in his car on a telephone... If that tells you anything. At times the front desk smelt of marjauna. Another was occupied by the town crazy who yells at cars and gives meaningless directions ( not his fault but not exactly the place he should live imo... right next to highway and this man liked to stop traffic ) The housekeepers were told to come at particular times which they ignored and woke me up at odd hours of the morning then after they were told again never returned. The coffee pot was hardly ever full from Truckers in the morning and only seemed full for them at the wee hours of the morning. Some of the residents owned dogs and kepts them in these one bedroom motel rooms.
We were supposed to recieve a parcel in the mail which never arrived.. yet the post office told us that it was delivered there.
Finally, when we left we had paided a months rents in advance and the owner told us that it was non-refundable so not only did they give us poorly maintained room they took approximately $200 of rent and I believe may have stole a parcel sent from my parents in Australia.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jarlkai
Reviewed August 16, 2007

The rooms were very nice, well appointed, and very clean. The check in was a breeze. We left our two dogs in the room for a few hours and had given the front desk our cell in case there was a problem with the dogs. They needed to call us because the dogs were crying and I really appreciated them having that concern.

This hotel made me feel pampered: They made sure we felt comfortable in our room and they wanted to do anything to please us.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Goldenoakmotel, OWNER at Golden Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2007

Since September 5,2007 This motel is under new ownership. The rooms are much cleaner and we have extra staff so all guests are taken care of on a daily basis.We also have weekly and monthly rates and we welcome local guests. We would love to have you come stay with us.

Bill and Dorothy Hubbard

Reviewed August 8, 2007

The rooms are not at all as pictured. The carpet is shag, not having been cleaned for quite a while. The room smelled of smoke and filth. The bed was saggy, bumpy and not sure the sheets were clean. I couldn't even begin to think of staying there! The manager did refund my money. It was one of those places you should just pass right on by! Taxis were coming and going??? (Tells ya something!) and it looked like several Taxis actually had their offices on the property. I don't know how anyone can call this place clean or nice?

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Motorcycler
Reviewed March 9, 2007

I stayed on this propery for one full week. And did not find anything/see that others have talked about.
Rooms were very big and very clean. Price was resonable and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2006

If you enjoy the smell of a public restroom urinal after a long baseball game on a hot August day, then you will love the GOLDEN OAK INN located in Lewiston, Idaho.

Lewiston is a lovely town. Unfortunately when you first approach it from the south you will probably be greeted by a disgusting odor that will make you want to gag and cover your noise. At first you wonder if the dog made a mess or Uncle Larry ate too many burritos. But we don’t have a dog or an Uncle Larry, so it must have been the local paper mill. Downtown Lewiston doesn’t smell too strongly, but then of course, the Golden Oak Inn is located on the outskirts of Lewiston right across the street from the paper mill. Not only does this provide you with a lovely view of smoke stacks industrial buildings, but the smell permeates everything.

Of course the Golden Oak Inn is a 1 star kind of place to begin with. It’s just a bunch of run down buildings, dirty carpet and old furniture. I’m not one to spend the big bucks on a place to sleep, but this motel is the bottom of the barrel as far as acceptable accommodations go.

And of course do NOT expect any kind of service at the Golden Oak Inn. The only thing that this management cares about is the money. I think their motto is just pay the bill and shut up.

To summarize, if the Golden Oak Inn was PAYING ME $100 to stay a night in their hotel, I would decline and spend the night in my car. It’s cleaner in the car and smells a whole lot better, even with Uncle Larry in the back seat!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank MrMoparIdaho
GoldenOakInn, Owner at Golden Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2007

This is in response to the post from a guest who stayed at our motel in Lewsiton.

Our policy from day one is to have all guest check out the room before we charge in case anyone has any objection to the size of the room or the condition. 9 out of 10 guest hasn't had any complaints but once in a while we do get guest who are particular about their accomodations. In such cases we try everything we can to accomodate but it doesn't always satisfy everyone. From management point of view, this motel is a budget hotel and we can't offer the amneties and services that other hotels provide. It is not a Hilton or Marriot by any means but a budget motel.

We allow pets in our property and have designated rooms. These rooms are not rented out to people without pets as people do have allergies to household pets.

As far as the complaint is concerned, we went and looked but didn't see any complaints filed by this guest with the management. We have property manager on-site and is always avaialble to provide assistance 24/7 whether it is related to amneties or anything that guest might need assistance with at odd hours. We have security in place and we provide a clean, secure, friendly, comfortable and low price accomodations to all guests.

We also have policy not to rent out the rooms to local residents. We understand that people travelling need their rest and we go out of our ways to provide the best budget price accomodations.

We do understand that there will always be complaints and we encourage every guest to talk to the front desk personal or on-site manager so the issue if any can be corrected and addressed in the shortest time possible.

It is our goal to have our guests come back to us because of the friendly service and the comfortable place to stay we provide however we do understand that there are some among many who stay with us that leave disappointed. This complaint could've been corrected had the guest reported this with any of our employees but we didn't get a chance to correct it right away and we seem to have lost one of our guests.

We have families come to stay with us as well as business folks. We have been the corporate account for a training academy for an institution is Lewiston and have met all criteria including cleanliness, accomodations, and services. Based on these fact, I firmly disagree with the comments made by this particular guest.

We have repeated guests that come to stay with us and have nothing but good things to say about the price they pay for the accomodations they get.

If you have any question regarding the above, please call the hotel with inquiries. Our motel is not just the place to stay, it is a restful retreat and a family oriented place to stay while en-route for business or lesiure.

We look forward to welcome you to our place and hope that you share your experience and your complaints with us and we will correct it. It is not just a promise, it is our goal to provide the best service in town for the price you pay.

Sincerly,