“Savory Flavor”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I were able to go on our first date in several months last night and at the urging of one of my coworkers we tried Emperor of India. Neither one of us were sure when we pulled up and looked at the outside of the building, but once we walked in the savory smell of the curry was the first thing that hit us. The manager/chef came out and visited with us and offered us our menus. After a few min's he came over and asked if we would like something to drink. My wife ordered a mango drink, that he suggested that she only have a half glass as it could be very filling (she was very happy with his suggestion). Then after giving us a chance to look over the menu, he told us the specials and some of the menu items that are not even on the menu. Upon his suggestion we had 2 different entrees, soup, and bread. The soup was the first dish brought out to us and both my wife and I absolutely enjoyed it. It was so fresh tasting with the vegetables and chicken both cooked to perfection with some bread that was a little bit salty, still really good. Then came the actual dishes a Chicken/Mango curry and a traditional curry with brown rice. It was absolutely amazing. After giving us a chance to try both dishes he came out again and asked how the food was and in particular what we though of both of the dishes. We both said that they were excellent, but then he asked about the spicyness. We told him that we both like spicy and that the Mango chicken could of had a little more kick to it. This prompted him to take the plate back to to the kitchen and doctor it up a bit for us. The result was absolutely amazing. It was so hard not to stuff myself with all of the good food. He then brought out the to go containers and now we have our lunch for tomorrow.

Thank you so much for all of the excellent food and service.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

For the past six months, I have been traveling to Lewiston every other week. Looking for a non-chain experience, I decided to give Emperor of India a try. My only regret is that my time coming to Lewiston is coming to end. I have yet to be disappointed. The food is amazing. After my first couple of visits, the owner/chef took away my menu and has created dishes that continue to exceed my expectations. The flavors are bold and authentic. I have eaten Indian food across the country and this is certainly among the best. As good as the food is, the hospitality is simply unrivaled. This is a dining gem.

matman00us, Manager at Emperor of India, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank You for your response. Your feedback is valuable and appreciated. It is such a welcoming sight to have you enter the restaurant.

You are definitely sophisticated and discerning in your taste specially with spices. It is a pleasure to create new dishes for you important feedback and critical review. We take great pride in serving you. It is tantamount to being in the company of a family member. The positive effect and pleasure of your visit lasts long after your departure. Your visit is very inspiring. We are sorry to learn that your visits to Lewiston are coming to an end. Fond memories of your trips will always remain alive with us.

Best Wishes and safe travel

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This restaurant is a fusion restaurant. Indian and Thai. You're best bet is to be adventurous and allow the chef/owner to make something for you based on your feelings about spicy/vegetarian, etc. Ignore the menu! LOL

Thank You for your response and Kind words. Your feedback and comments are really appreciated.

Your visit with your 2 friends was a special occasion in our day a few weeks ago. I wish you could travel to Lewiston more often and visit as it certainly made our day special. We loved to cook for you and serve you. Thanks for taking on our recommendations and critiquing our dishe(s.) You open mind is a welcome every time and we look forward to meeting and/or beating your expectations. Your knowledge of our cuisine was most obvious when you "guided" your friends and introduced them to your Menu.

With sincere appreciation and regards

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We've had Indian food all over the world, India, Canada, England, many big US cities, and this is simply the best! The host/chef made us welcome and discussed the menu, making useful suggestions.
The combination of spices in the chicken mango dish and the paneer vegetable dish was wonderful and complex. The garlic naan was unusually good too.
We ate our fill and had enough left over to take home and have another meal.
People should support this small local restaurant. The food is really exceptional, the prices quite reasonable!

Thank you for your thoughtful, carefully worded and valuable insight into your experience at our restaurant.

Your words are inspirational and genuinely pleasing to our "palate" We are overjoyed to learn that our preparations met with your approval. It is the underlying thought with each dish we prepare. We want to guarantee your full and complete satisfaction. I distinctly remember the scintillating conversation with you about your travel to India. You are well versed in your travels as you are with your discerning and highly developed taste. The pleasure we felt during your visit was genuine and most appealing to us.

Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped in this restaurant on Friday for my wife's birthday dinner. She loves Butter Chicken. She and I ordered that, one of my sons ordered Chicken Tikka Masala, my other son had Beef Vindalo. These dishes did not resemble what we ordered! The "Butter Chicken" was tiny cubes of canned chicken in a non-descript spicy brown gravy with an assortment of frozen stir fry vegetables thrown in - first time I've ever had stale broccoli with Butter Chicken. My son's beef was hamburger. The Indian Naan bread was actually thick pizza crust, not Naan! We ordered Chai Tea that came when we were leaving, not before the meal. And the rice was what appeared to be frozen and then microwaved white rice - some of it was still frozen! This is the worst meal we have ever had in a restaurant. I can't believe this place is rated so high - stay away.

2  Thank 43DavidR43
matman00us, Manager at Emperor of India, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank You for your response. It is appreciated.

We are a Fusion Restaurant as you well know. We combine many spices for our unique and flavorful creations. We also guarantee verbally each customer that their satisfaction is guaranteed. You or dining mates did not indicate anything other than pure satisfaction when we personally inquired at your table. We could have easily rectified any issues. Not serving Broccoli and vegetables is an easy fix. We do not have Canned chicken as fresh is better and less expensive. We cut it our chicken. Not two pieces are alike. The beef in the Vindalloo is seasoned with herbs and spices and Green Bell peppers, Extra lean ground beef is used. Beef dishes as you may know are non existent in India. (Even McDonald's serves lamb Burgers instead of beef Burgers there.)

I apologize that we did not conform to your past experience before. It appears to be a intercommunication prevailed in the day. It was nice to have you as guests.