“Great get away”

Lions Gate Manor
FL
“Great get away”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I am from Sunny Florida so I loved to curl up by the fireplace in the room. It was a nice secluded spot. I loved the views of the mountains both in and out of the Manor. Our room was on the main floor and very easy for my Grandmother to get in and out of the bed and in and out of the bathroom. We were in the King Henry the 8th room. The furniture and lighting were really fun. The main table was fabulous. This is like a bed and breakfast so those expecting more of a hotel experience might be surprised. It is more like a home away from home. I loved that we had our own key to lock our room and the front door to come and go anytime and the mint chocolates were fabulous! (I love chocolate mint!) I couldn't get enough of the hot chocolate in the morning. I got to see all the rooms and can't wait to go back to show my husband the Phantom's lair.

Room Tip: I recommend talking to the owners to help you choose. There are rooms with a deck door to enjoy the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Gunter, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I enjoyed the accommodations and the seclusion and beautiful panoramic view of the mountains there.

It was a perfect place to stay to enjoy the hot springs.

I liked the common parlor space upstairs that was open to everyone.

I enjoyed my visit this week even more than when I was there last time.

It is very comfortable and restful and peaceful.

This last visit we were in the secret garden room. It was fun to talk to the owner about the on going development of this property.

I enjoyed the wonderful hot breakfast with other guests and enjoyed getting to know them.

We were made to feel at home. We had some left overs from being out to dinner that night and they were kind to let us put our food in one of their refrigerators in their lovely kitchen.

We enjoyed the air jet tub. The room was a nice size and had plenty of room even with the large King sized bed. The garden room had a cute park bench and flower chandeliers with dimmers, a nice TV, and the bed was also very comfortable. It made it wonderfully enjoyable for us. It was worth the extra time to drive there.

We have been in the Medieval Chamber twice and in the secret garden room this last time, and had a great tour of the bed and breakfast before the next guests arrived. All the rooms were very spacious and decorated in fun themes and periods.

I look forward to enjoying some of the other rooms when I have a chance to come this way again.

Lynn S.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Gunter, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have been here twice now. We live in Texas but where we found our business was brining us within an hour and a half of The Lions Gate Manor, we made the 90 minute trip to spend another night there!

We just loved the Medevial Chamber and the great furniture including the King Henry the 8th bed and stunning chairs.

The breakfast held in the stunning diningroom with other guests on a wonderful table with large hand carved chairs - and a very personal and friendly owner and his son and granddaughter making the breakfast for us and serving us, was such a treat! Loved the hot chocolate with real fresh whipped cream!

We took the tour of the other themed rooms for a second time and this time chose to stay in the secret garden room and throughly enjoyed that as well - the air jetted tub was great too!

It is only 3 minutes away from the resort town of Lava Hot Springs, but is up on a hill away from everything and it is quiet and peaceful and a beautiful setting with a great view.

Darlene Smith

Room Tip: There are two rooms on the main floor - one works great for the handicapped. The website is good at...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Ah... Where to begin?

We came to the end of our 12 day Rocky Mountain vacation and drove to Lions Gate Manor from Montana expecting a truly luxurious last night before flying back to New York. We had had a marvelous trip......until then.

The reviews on this site were stellar. This was definitely one of the factors that led us to book a $177 dollar a room night for an inn in the middle of freaking nowhere Idaho.
The young lady (not the owners who were never seen) who greeted us was friendly and courteous. She was lovely and this isn't a dig at any particular individual, more than it is at a cheap wannabe not-so-fancy-even-though-it wish-it-were crappy motel.

The ridiculous faux Medieval architecture and horrible religious piano music that never turns off was almost too much to bear. Our "Secret Garden" suite was actually next to the noisy gravel driveway out front. Was that the secret? shhhhhh..............

I asked to have the absolutely freezing ac turned down but was informed that the only other guest on the floor was too hot and therefore there wasn't much to be done since there was only one thermostat for the entire floor! I had to get up at 2:30 am and go out into the hallway in my underwear and shut off the damn stereo which was playing the cheesiest religious piano music ever committed to compact disc. We pleasantly informed our host we would be leaving early the next morning when we first arrived and she was sweet enough to leave us breakfast in a basket outside our door when we awoke.

Although this was very kind of her (and I want to emphasize how nice this woman was), one should hope to expect more than a pre-wrapped stale Otis Spunkmeyer muffin for Almost $200 with tax per night even if it did come with some juice and fruit.

I don't think I will ever understand places like this or how some people think this is "fancy" just because there are some cheap Chinese made fake antique-like things spread around. The two person tub was too small for two people. $85 pre tax would have been par for the course with this place and would have prevented me from writing such a negative review.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marlan1
the_johnc, Owner at Lions Gate Manor, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
I am so sorry that our New York guests did not like Idaho nor our Bed and Breakfast. New York is lush and beautiful, a place I have lived in and visited with joy. Idaho is rugged and wild with a bit of the rough wild west still evident. It has great beauty as well but may not fit everyone's tastes. Lions Gate Manor was built as a fun, modern and new get-away in the midst of an Idaho Resort Area. Decks overlook the beautiful mountains and hills while deer roam the grounds.

We have reviewed carefully the comments of these and all our guests. We try in every case to improve if we can. So thank you for letting us know we need to revisit some things at our B&B. One area of concern we have with these guests' experience was the temperature control. As a house we invested in separate temperature controls for each level of the house. We do try to provide a fan or heater - whatever is needed to keep the guests comfortable. We provided a heater to these guests. This has helped other guests to keep the temperature to their liking. These guests stated that they opened a window. That may have let in warmth in the evening but also would let in cold in the crisp mountain night. We are sorry they were so uncomfortable. We are addressing this problem again.

Their hostess - my daughter - is indeed a kind and gracious woman. Thank you for your kind compliments about her. I am proud of how well she represents the family at Lions Gate. She works hard to make sure all our guests are well cared for. She would have loved to provide a full hot breakfast had these guests so desired. But since they informed her late that they were leaving early she put together a basket of food from what was available so they would have something to start out the new day.

I hope they do not mind my clearing up a few misunderstandings they seem to have had. The room they chose comes with a 1 person jetted and lighted deep soaker tub. There are rooms with 2 person tubs - they did not select one of them. The room they did chose was the "Secret Garden" room. It is decorated to represent the novel 'The Secret Garden", thus the draped 4 poster bed, the floral chandelier, etc. The 'religious' music they were unhappy with was actually popular tunes from Broadway Musical Hits played by a world class pianist. We will try to make sure the soft and quiet background music is turned off completely at night. And finally I'm not sure why they felt there were Chinese 'antique-like' furnishings. None of it is. For example – the tutor bed in the Medieval chamber is from the Woodcrafter's Guild of England (over 1000 years of creating masterpieces for English nobility and royalty). The masterful carvings and details in their products are awe inspiring. All are new, not antiques, nor do we ever claim they are antiques.. They were chosen and shipped in for the atmosphere they add to our themed suites and luxurious lounge and dining areas.

Again we apologize to these guests that their stay was not what they expected. Had they had time they might have loved to see the azure beauty of Bear Lake from the tops of the Wasatch Mountains, the craggy threat of the Lava Fields of Idaho, basked in the pure, hot pools in town here, played golf, gone on a wagon to a cowboy supper, or slowed down enough to see how wonderful the Westerners can be. We will try even more to make every guest welcome and comfortable. We want to meet them as strangers but leave us as friends.

Tami Clark
Lions Gate Manor
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I am not the most traveled person you might meet, but having lived and traveled extensively in Europe for 8 years and then in the US, I feel I am somewhat experienced in this area. My wife, son and I truly enjoyed our 4 days at Lions Gate. Tami and her family are gracious hosts and made every effort to make our stay enjoyable. "Fine" hotels we have stayed in did not offer the personal touch they afford their guests. The rooms are all nicely decorated (got the tour) and most importantly are clean, something very important to my wife and I. They are spacious and most offer jet tubs. The location was perfect...just on the outskirts of town, albeit a small town, Lava Hot Springs burst into life on Saturday and being away from the crowds was a blessing. The breakfast was awesome - variety and quality were abundant. Tami pointed out all the highlights and among them were the zip line adventure and the Thai restaurant. Don't let the fact that the restaurant is in an old (refurbished) gas station deter you - the food was great. Of course the hot pools/springs and the giant swimming pool (with slides and high dives) were special treats as well. We ate at every restaurant in town and had very good meals at each of them (pizza place was really good). The river rafting is fun, especially on hot days like we had, but I caution you...bring shoes to wear as the river bottom rocks are lava rocks...sharp! You can purchase "beach" shoes in town for a relatively low price, but bring an old pair of sneakers and save your money. After a tiring day of activities, it was nice to head back to the hospitality, clean rooms and comfortable beds!

Room Tip: The house was very quiet even when full. It's really for couples or families with one child...w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mikiejoe
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was our first stop on our annual week long motorcycle ride. What a WONDERFUL place to stay! We stayed in the Medieval Chamber room and it was AWESOME! The staff was top notch. Breakfast looked delicious but unfortunately we had to get back on the road early. We highly recommend this to all travelers in Lava Hot Springs. Be sure to eat the Chuckwagon if you like home cooked diner food.... best scones ever!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Strathaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

If you are visiting Lava Hot Springs this is a lovely place to stay. The inn is custom built as a bed and breakfast and so the rooms are spacious with beautiful bathrooms. We stayed in the Cozy Cottage Suite - perhaps not one of the more opulant rooms but that suited us well. It had a small ante room with a sofa, coffee table and TV leading onto a reasonably sized bedroom with another TV and a well sized bathroom with luxurious fittings. Very clean with all the facilities you need for a few nights stay. Why did we not give it a five star rating? Whilst the accommodation is everything you could need there was perhaps that little bit missing in the overall experience: for example - it would be great to have the ability to make yourself tea/coffee during the day/evening if you are spending some time relaxing in the inn; breakfast was the same every day - a variation would be better; two gallon plastic milk and orange juice cartons placed in the centre of the breakfast table detracted from the beautiful furniture and table settings; and there was a lack of supplies in the bathroom. These are however just things that could take a lovely place to stay to being a fantastic place to stay. If you are going to Lava Hot Springs we would still recommend you stay here. And, if it is a special occasion and you want something really different then stay in the Phantom's lair. We were given a tour and it is amazing - really, really well done and like nothing else we have ever seen in a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple