“Wont stay here again”

Lava Hot Springs Inn
Ogden, Utah
“Wont stay here again”
Reviewed April 3, 2007

We have stayed at the Lava Hot Springs Inn 3 times. It has gone from FAIR to BAD. However we have paid the price to use the 'Private Pools' too many times to count and will continue to do so. Normally, we make the extra 30 minute drive to Pocatello and stay at a reputable, CLEAN Hotel. On this our LAST stay using their rooms, we were in the Aladdin, across the street from the pools. The room was terrible! There were 2 VCR's and one DVD player in the room with 6 remotes, NONE of which worked. They did send a person over to take care of this after we had been there a couple of hours. Paint and wall board chips were all over the floor to the Jetted Tub and the bathroom was filthy!Friday night was miserable as the person upstairs must have been doing jumping jacks, and the front door would SLAM every 30 minutes. Saturday morning we drove to Pocatello to see a movie and shop. We were gone ALL DAY! We returned at 4pm, the room had not been cleaned at all. Two waste baskets were still full from dinner and wine the night before, the bed was not made, no new towels, NOTHING! A call to the front desk revealed we would have to bring towels over to exchange and they do not clean rooms when you are staying more than one night, as we were. REDICULOUS! The Buffet Breakfast is really no different than making breakfas at home. On a 1-10, give it a 6! The owners and family are great folks. The service is not worth the money paid. We can get far better service and the same jetted tub and bigger TV's in Pocatello for HALF THE PRICE, and that is what we will do from now on!

• Liked — The Staff and Mineral Pools are FABULOUS
  • Disliked — The LACK OF SERVICE and the ROOM
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank CDSMITH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed October 17, 2005

I stayed at the Lava Hot Springs Inn. What a fabulous getaway from the city grind. Relaxing pools, comfortable rooms and a breakfast to die for.
If you want a relaxing break away, this is the place for you

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I can not imagine a more fantastic place to take my friends for the weekend. I have been staying at the Inn as often as I can over the last several years. I have met so many nice people in the pools at the Inn, and frequently find myself running into the same people every time I am there. It has been a great experience and I have made some friends that I see back home in Salt Lake. Though, I travel frequently for work, and stay in some very nice and exciting places, I always feel most comfortable in Lava. When I get time for myself just to relax, and be surrounded by easy going people, I am off to the Lava Hot Springs Inn. I will be the first to admit that the Inn is not a 5 star resort, for those of us who really appreciate some quiet and relaxing time the Inn offers something that a 5 star resort can not. Sometimes it is nice to go somewhere where there are no phones in the room to ring, or where there are few TVs. The innkeepers are great and even though the place is kind of a work in progress, it really makes you feel like part of the Inn to see it change every time that you are there.

The only warning that I feel is important is to say that come to the Inn with no expectations. Don't go looking for something that you will not find in a place like Lava and you will have a great time.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank djrmustang
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I LOVE THESE POOLS!!! I have never been anywhere that had such beautiful clear water, since the water is running in and draining out constantly there is no harsh chemical smell. There is a little discoloration on the cement walls from the minerals but the water is crystal clear and there are several pools of varing temperatures to choose from. The Inn has lots of history and yes it isn't a Hilton but it is easily the nicest in the area and they serve an "all you can eat" breakfast bar in the morning. I have stayed there numerous times over the past few years and will be staying again in two weeks. I would not hesitate to recommend the Inn to friends and family and have done so many times in the past.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 8, 2005

We were totally mislead. We were to be near the hot springs...NOT.... we were about 2 blocks away. The room was in what appeared to be an OLD converted store. The building was about 100 years old and nothing, not even the bed spreads had been changed in the last 30 years. Oh yes, did I mention the bathroom was accross the hall? Neither did they when we made reservation. Do not pay before you look!!!

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2004

Although not quite what we expected, we had a great time at the Lava Hot Springs Inn. The owner and her new puppy were delightful. The many pools let us hide away or join the other guests. Our room, complete with indoor plumbing, was very clean and quaint.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2004

these pools are easily the best on town, the building is old and has history, i love history. it is a nice place to go if you arent afraid to mix with others. i didnt mind sharing the bathrooms. there were enough to accomidate. a bit pricey. will return again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member