“Stay AWAY!!!”

Lava Hot Springs Inn
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My brother and his new bride planned to stay in Lava for a couple of nights but he had no internet at his new home so he had me book the hotel for him. I checked the hotel websites and I had stayed here years ago and remembered it being fine. The photos of the rooms online looked nice. I wish I had checked for hotel reviews before I booked!

My brother arrived to find fleas or bedbugs in the beds and the bathroom was a toilet under the stairs with a curtain around it, not even a door.

They complained about the room but were refused any sort of a refund. They of course changed hotels.

Stay anywhere else in Lava!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blooblah
There are newer reviews for Lava Hot Springs Inn

Reviewed September 29, 2008

This is not a great hotel. Just know that up front and don't expect it will be and you might be able to enjoy your stay. We decided kind of on the spur of the moment to make a stop in Lava Hot Springs on our way home. We called a couple of motels to check availability and rates and settled on the Lava Hot Springs Inn just to see if it was as bad as some of the reviews, plus it gave us breakfast. We didn't want to spend a lot of money but for three of us they said we needed two rooms. They claimed to give us a deal on the single room, but it was still over $100 total (I was hoping for around $70). We ended up in room with a private bath and jetted tub so I guess that increased the price. Our son was in the room across the hall and used the common bath three doors down. We were joking about whether the paint would be peeling off the walls,,, and it was! :-) None of us dared get in the bath. We were kind of afraid to touch anything. I wouldn't say the room was dirty, it just looked like it might be.

After we got a little used to the place it did kind of grow on us. One of the other reviews called it funky and I would agree that is a good word to describe it. The main building is old, probably one of the original hotels here. The rooms are small, and close together. The furnishings aren't too much newer. They do add atmosphere. The bed was okay, not a Marriott by any means. I enjoyed the lobby and the walk out back to the pools there and the river overlook.

There were two pools on the river side and four pools on the entrance side. Each of the pools was a different temperature. One was very hot, one warm like a hot tub, one very cold and the largest was comfortable like a swimming pool. I took advantage of these which were only occupied by those of us in the hotel (which was not even close to sold out). We took a look at the town hot pools and they were very crowded, so it was nice to have some right near by that were more private.

The breakfast was spanish hashbrowns, eggs, fresh fruit, juice, coffee and bread and muffins. It was served in the dingy tacky basement but was tasty and enough to get us going for the day.

We went down to the town Olympic pool and had a good time there. We were too late for the river tubing which looks fun. Don't wait too late to eat out, the town pretty much closes up around 8pm even in July.

In the end I enjoyed our stay there, though I'm not sure I'm real anxious to go back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Kbecjeans
Reviewed September 16, 2008

The pools at the Lava Hot Springs Inn are great and were just what I needed at the end of my long trip. The room itself was OK - the carpet was filthy and some of the furniture a bit shabby. The bed was comfortable, though. I had the shared bath to myself so no problems there. The breakfast was more than adequate as well.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank rjr0810
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I made a reservation for Sept 6 for the Cottage. I called back 2 weeks later and booked a couples massage for the same day. I then confirmed my reservation. When we got there I was told I had a reservation for Sept 27 for Room 8. Not even close!! Yet my massage appointment was still confirmed for the correct day. They gave us a room in the Aladdin that slept 6 but we only needed one bed and it was noisy. Also there was broken glass and debris on the dilapidated "private balcany".

The grounds to the main building was overgrown with weeds and unkept. My boyfriend is an electrician and noted several "code violations" with the electrical with the lights outside. There were very large broken branches still laying on the grounds. It could be a really cool place if someone put forth some effort in cleaning and upkeep.

The pools are great! The massage therapists that they hired (Cory Leafty and Kathryn) were great! They had my appointment correct what happened to my room booking????

This was our first trip to Lava. We definitely won't be staying at the Lava Hot Spring Inn again but we may pay to use thier pools for the day.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fastcatzz
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I stayed in the Blue House with six of my girl friends as a graduation trip before we all went away to different schools. We stayed in the blue house and just from the look of it we should have known better. We pulled up and the house's screen door was ripped, the front door doesn't open all the way, and the blinds were broken. When we walked in it stunk so we had to open all the windows and spray some body spray we had to get it to smell ok. The sink leaked, the shower was dirty and we didn't dare go in it without flip flops, there was no blow dryer, the fridge door was missing the handle, and the beds were as comfortable as sleeping on a box. We tried playing a CD in the DVD player but you couldn't skip tracks because the remote didn't work. Thankfully we only stayed overnight. When I got home and was unpacking I realized I had left some clothes and my wallet. I hurried and called and they retrieved the items and told me they would ship them home to me as soon as possible. It has been over a week so I called them today and the clothes are still sitting there but the wallet is missing! Now I am in the process of cancelling my cards because of their negligance! So fair warning if you stay there and if you forget anything sorry but that is the last time you will probally ever see it!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank Tripguru67
Reviewed December 12, 2007

My husband booked this great little "get away" for us in Lava. I love the mountainous atmosphere that Lava provides, and the town is completely adorable! (The Purple Moon is my favorite shop!) I was so excited when he told me we were going to stay at the Lava Hot Springs Inn, because I knew they had private pools and I am not one who can relax in large crowds, not to mention I like the history provided staying in an old hotel!
We checked in at the main building and we stayed in the Aladin. Our service was great by the check in staff memeber, although directions were quite vague as to how to get to our room, which we figured out it's not that big of a town!
The room was nice. We weren't expecting the Hilton, or even close to that because this is a little town in the mountains! The only complaints I have are with the room that we stayed in. The tub was in the corner in a room with windows like a sun room. To my disliking, because it wasn't ventilated, the floor and ceiling were moldy and there were bugs crawling around. Also, the place was VERY noisy. We could hear the couple upstairs.. and the room is right by the front door so when ever people came in or out of the building we felt a draft and heard the door slam. along with everything anyone said. The room was a bit cold, but the heater worked ok.
We didn't partake in the hot pools because it was a very cold snowy day, so we just took advantage of the giant tub, which was awesome. The bed was also very comfortable.
Breakfast was delicious, and all the staff in the morning were cheery and great!
All in all our stay was great, because of the time we got to spend together, and taking the little things in stride. It is an old hotel...happiness is what you make it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FXY
Reviewed December 3, 2007

We were not happy with our stay. On that Sunday, room #4 was rented (just for the day) to a large group (20 or so) of Hispanic folks. They were having a huge party in the Hotel's hot pools. When they were done in the pools, they were running and roaming through the upstairs rooms stealing towels and whatever they could find. The rooms are left unlocked, and are almost impossible to lock/unlock with the keys provided. Some kids and their dad walked in on us! Were were sitting around our room reading.

They also filled up the upstairs bathrooms to shower and change. I couldn't go to the restroom! And they didn't leave until late (around 11 pm). They left a huge mess that we had to wade though the next morning. Where was the management? There was no consideration for the overnight guests.

The rooms are very small, cold and drafty, and the ceiling was cracked and the paint peeling! The front desk gal was about 18 and had about 5 of her guy friends hanging around the desk area that first night. She acted 'bothered' by us for asking how to get more towels.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple