“Great overall experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Lava Hot Springs Inn
Seattle, Washington
“Great overall experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is more old school but funky and great. The people in Lava Hot Springs were so friendly and gracious. The hot tubs were 94 degrees to 110 degrees and very soothing. The morning breakfast was superb...an egg cassolet, wonderful sticky buns and lots of other choices. With the special were procured it was certainly a great choice. The bathroom was across the hall and the rooms were small but the ambiance made up for it all. We were coming from Bear Lake enroute to Oregon so it was an excellent choice for an in between stop....relaxing.

Room Tip: They do have king rooms that have their own bathroom if you do not want to share.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We appreciate your review and are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We strive to accommodate each one of our guests by providing a warm atmosphere, beautiful pools and a delicious hot buffet breakfast. We hope to see you again soon!
- Liz and Richard, Managers, Lava Hot Springs Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Lava Hot Springs Inn on a whim because it was a last minute trip and we didn't want to tow our trailer. The older staff (when we checked in) was very nice, but management (Liz) and the younger staff have absolutely no idea what hospitality is. For $200 for a lower than subpar room (which I understand that location is everything), I would expect some courtesy. We had none (again except for the older lady when checked in and the owner {whom I met the next day as he was doing maintenance on the grounds}). It's a bit over priced for what you get, but what ruined it for me was Liz and her inability to treat guests with respect. To me, it seemed like it was her way or no way (though the paperwork that is signed at check in states much different). All in all, better management can make or break this motel. I truly urge the owner (who was EXTREMELY nice) to get different management, and this inn could thrive (also lower the price a bit). The guest's stay speaks millions and what I received from Liz was in no way shape or form an inviting atmosphere. Thank you Liz for making me regret spending the $165 and write a review (which I have never done). BTW Liz has no problem saying the [--]-word in front of children. That definitely is a perfect example of the terrible hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Vwilcox27
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
This same review, minus the comment made by the guest of calling management "white trash" (very tasteful), was once removed from TripAdvisor and now allowed back on. With that being said, I would like to respond to this review since it is throwing my name around in several places. I have years of hospitality experience and would bend over backwards for any of my guests. However, when individuals can not follow the policies of the hotel (set by the owner) after being asked by more than five staff members, it is my job to step in and make sure the policies are followed. Prior to my arrival, the staff member had to call the police to control the drunken behavior of one of the guests who wrote this review. In this case, I take pride in caring for my other guests' safety and protecting them from guests who get drunk and out of hand. Never once did I use the "F-word," because I do not believe in the use of profanity with my guests. It is troubling to me that this guest feels they have to make several reviews on our TripAdvisor page. However, their terminology and lack of professionalism (telling the owner to fire management) should be enough to ignore this review.
To all of our other guests and future guests, management and staff will bend over backwards to ensure a beautiful relaxing stay. The other reviews listed below, with the exception of the negative ones all written by the Wilcox party, will show customer satisfaction in our place and with our staff.

Travelers are raving about these Lava Hot Springs hotels

Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our family stayed here this summer, and I found the staff to be helpful and kind. The breakfast is homemade and a nice change from the "hotel" complimentary variety. Although, I must agree the facilities are very old and need updating. The apartment we stayed in smelled horribly, particulary in the kitchen (cat urine came to mind) and we were worried about getting bit by spiders in our sleep. One of the beds was so hard it was difficult to sleep on. I would not stay here again. I'm afraid it was way too much money for the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tammy H
LHSI, Owner at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I would like to respond to the poor review given by Ms Henrie. We are very sorry for the smell you encountered which was due to the flooding of the sink in the kitchen above your unit. Our staff immediately responded when told of this flooding and it was cleaned and repaired by morning. There unfortunately is no way to control these things and we do our best to correct any flooding, etc. as soon as we know about it.
We are located in a rural area and there are occasional spiders and other bugs that invade our hotel, which again, we remediate immediately.
We hope that Ms. Henrie will give us another chance.
Owner, Lava Hot Springs Inn
West Valley City, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Lava Hot Springs Inn is my favorite place to stay. I used to go to a hotel at the other end of Main Street (because it was closer to the main hot pools), but ever since my family and I stayed at the Inn, we do not plan on staying at any other hotels. Sure, it is an older place, but I go to Lava for 2 things (the river and the hot pools), and this hotel is right near the 'exit point' for tubing the river, and their hot pools are less crowded and provide a choice of temperatures. I stay in the Aladdin rooms, just a 2 minute walk from the main Inn, because we usually have 5 to 8 people, and the rooms we get will sleep 6 (Aladdin #6) or 8 (Aladdin #7). We just got back from a 3 night stay, and the breakfast was good each morning. Each day, there was a different type of egg dish, potatoes, pancakes, cereal, toast, plus milk and juices. With me, my wife, and my 3 kids, and 3 of their friends, that buffet saved me about $50 each morning. And the included soaking passes for 8 of us was an $80 value each day. That made the value of the room much higher. When we stayed at the other hotel, and paid for entry to the 'world famous hot pools', if we stayed just one night, we had to pay for entry once on the check in day, and again if we wanted to go in the morning on our check out day. At the Inn, you can soak in their pools until 11:00 pm, and then again as early as 6:00 am the next morning (up until the time you check out). I paid $662.00 for 3 nights, but saved $320 on all day soaking passes, and about $150 on breakfasts. The staff has always been pleasant, and the rooms, although not fancy, have always been comfortable at the end of long day in the water. I'm going back in 2 more months.

Room Tip: Aladdin #7 is great for 5-8 people.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Byron K
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We would like to thank you so much for this excellent review. We strive to bend over backwards for our guests. We were beginning to feel a negative impact from a few of our guests who did not like our hotel and policies. We uphold policies such as no excessive drinking, smoking and noise so families like yours can enjoy and relax with us. The Lava Hot Springs Inn is not just a regular hotel, we have mineral hot springs and a hot breakfast like you described. We look forward to having you stay with us for many years to come.
Thank you so much.
Sincerely- Richard and Liz, Managers at the Lava Hot Springs Inn.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Absolutely terrible! The staff were completely unprofessional. It took us 20 mins to find anybody to check in the when we got to our room, it hadn't been cleaned completely and the doors didn't lock. The power was out for most the day and evening and we were told we could stay on the grounds to BBQ and then asked to leave, but couldn't go back to our rooms because of the no power issue. This place is an over priced joke! Don't waste your money! Stay in a tent in the campground... Way better value! Absolutely a dump!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Mssdiddy
LHSI, Owner at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Our desk staff accommodates our guests by walking them to one of four buildings when they check-in. If the desk person is not at the desk, chances are they are helping other guests. Twenty minutes is an extreme exaggeration. We did not receive any complaints of the uncleanliness of the room until reading this review. The doors do not lock inside the family suite, but the outer doors of the family suite lock with a DEADBOLT. The power outage was a situation we had no control over. We did not ask the guests to leave barbequing, we asked them to remove the alcohol from the pool areas, which is in writing near each pool. These guests demonstrated intoxication and belligerence, and asked by several employees to respect the other families and our policies. We have many guests who find value in the price of our rooms and come several times a year.
Murray, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Lava Hot Springs Inn is old and needs a lot of work. It is quite overpriced for the condition and lack of amenities. We were very disappointed with our accommodations! We have stayed in Lava Hot Springs many times and love the town, but we have never stayed at this Inn, and we will never stay there again!

When we booked the Blue House on the phone, they told us we were right on the stream, but when we arrived on June 10, 2013, we found that the Blue House is farthest away from the stream. Our view was a dirty alley on one side and an unkempt yard on the other. There was a bunch of digging work going on, and a backhoe sat right on the stream. In addition, several of their small, concrete hot tubs were not working and empty. Most of the others, and the warm lap pool, were all in a state of disrepair. Their trees were dying, and there wasn’t much shade. There were weeds everywhere and 2-3 dead trees, too. The hot spring pools were full of leaves, twigs, bugs and elm seed pods. They did not look clean.

Staff started emptying the larger lap pool while we and other guests were still in it on Monday evening, more than 2 hours before the stated closing time. So we and our kids were left trying to swim in a pool that was getting shallower by the minute. They didn’t have it full again by morning, as promised, so we really couldn’t get much use out of it.

The front door caught on the carpeting because the front porch sagged down from the house, so you had to work to get into and out of the room. There was a poorly installed window A/C unit in the living room only, so the apartment didn’t cool down much, and you could hear every car that drove by. There were no window screens in the windows of the very small bedrooms, so you couldn’t open windows at night without letting in moths, mosquitoes and other bugs. Each bedroom had one, uncomfortable queen bed. With the hard beds and the hot bedrooms, it was very difficult to get much sleep.

While the staff did their best to be nice, there was no real customer service. Checkout time was posted as 11:00 a.m., but when we asked if we could stretch it to noon or 1:00 pm, which other hotels/motels had always allowed during our many travels, the front desk people said they would only allow us to stay until 12:00 noon and we would have to pay an additional $25.00. This was irritating, because the room was so overpriced to begin with! No other hotel/motel has ever done that to us. They all try to accommodate their guests.

The "home-cooked" breakfast wasn’t bad, so we at least got something for our money, but there was no meat whatsoever. The eating area was far too small for many guests to find a seat. They cooked some type of egg casserole with some green specks in it, and the hashbrowns looked like microwaved frozen hashbrowns.

The town itself is neat and quaint but the Lava Hot Springs Inn is definitely not the place to stay. It was not a great experience! We will not go back, and we will discourage everyone we know from staying at the Lava Hot Springs Inn.
---

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LHSI, Manager at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
The Lava Hot Springs Inn appreciates your feedback and is disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The Lava Hot Springs Inn is an older bed and breakfast hotel that receives many positive reviews on the building and grounds and receives many repeat guests. Lava Hot Springs strives to keep the town historic and cozy so people can escape the stress of the city life.
The Blue House has several pictures, along with a virtual tour, right on our website. We apologize for the miscommunication that you expected the room right on the stream. However our beautiful hot springs overlook the river, which was available to you during your stay with us. Yes, there was a bunch of digging work going on. We are in the process of building a new adult water therapy pool, which requires construction. Our pools are not in a state of disrepair, as you may notice on tripadvisor all of the excellent reviews we receive about our pools. Leaves and twigs are common in natural hot springs all over the United States. The lap pool starts draining at 10 pm so we can have it ready for the next day. 50,000 gallons of water takes a long time to fill and could've been enjoyed the previous night. We get several compliments on the cleanliness of our pool. We have several other hot springs to enjoy while the lap pool is draining.
We appreciate the feedback on our windows not having screens and our carpeting in the Blue House and will take care of that matter.
We have a small staff, which is quite common in a small resort town, which requires our check-out to be 11 am so we can get the house ready for check-ins. It may be common to extend check-outs until 1 pm in larger hotels, but we are unable to for free at ours. We appreciate your comment on our friendly staff. The parts that I am concerned with is that I never received your complaint and I was there to assist you upon check-out. Had any of our staff known you were discontent at any time of your stay, we would have moved you to another accommodation that would best suit your interest. Our guests are our number one priority at the Lava Hot Springs Inn.
Our breakfast is all freshly cooked each day. We do not use frozen hash browns. It is our choice not to use meat and we don't advertise meat as part of our breakfast at anytime. As you can see the reviews below, guests love our breakfast.
We appreciate your feedback.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

For $200, you expect certain things. The staff members right up to the management was extremely rude and belligerent. Electricity went out so "hot springs" were not flowing. Couldn't be in our rooms, too hot. The staff was constantly changing the rules. Rooms were small & not well cared for. Would not stay there again, even if paid to do so. No security. Room would lock. No door knob on one bedroom.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank ms_callie
LHSI, Owner at Lava Hot Springs Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
In response to Ms. Callie's review, there are some issues we would like to clarify for other viewers of TripAdvisor. We strive to make each guests' stay enjoyable and relaxing by offering a beautiful, family-friendly establishment. To accomplish this, we set policies for our guests to abide by. Each policy, never-changing, is displayed around the pools and at our front desk upon check-in. In the matter of Ms. Callie, she was upset because she couldn't drink alcohol around the pool area. After being told several times, she and another man of her party continued to break the rules. After several drinks, the man of her party, as well as two women, became belligerent, intoxicating and threatening. The police were even called to this matter, which Ms. Callie failed to mention. Yes, we do adhere to policies, but that is to protect not only the families and couples who come to relax at our Inn, but to the guests' safety as well. We hope that this party finds other accommodations to stay at that allows excessive drinking and belligerence.