“ike that old eccentric aunt”

Lava Hot Springs Inn
Reviewed April 21, 2012

me and my wife have come here 3 years in a row now and love it every year the first time we walked in and thought what the eff. Rooms with just a bed dresser and a few end tables, community bathrooms across the hall amd a homemade breakfast but our friends had rooms to so we decided to stay and two days later didnt want to leave

If your a prude looking for 5 stars go somewhere else but if you want a unique experience this is the place

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Not only did it STINK and the beds sunken and unsanitary, the pools where open to the public with kids doing cannon balls from one pool to another. There is nothing relaxing about the Inn and I toured all of their delapitated rooms available hoping to see somehting better than the one i had reserved.

DONT MAKE RESERVATIONS- the cancellation policy which involves 48 or 72 hours notice or a 50% charge....so if you call and reserve the night before you are S.O.L. as soon as the request is out of your mouth, they are charging you, period. The only helpful staff member was the lady washing sheets! I only got the excuses from management, if you can call them that, when questioned about the cancellation policy, room and pool cleaning. The maid should be promotted to head of customer service, oops, they have to have customer service first, my bad.

As for their prices - it is soooo over priced. It is nothing but a sick joke on the unaware tourist!

If you want to truly relax and not have the feeling of bugs crawling all over you while you sleep GO TO THE THE ALPCA INN - they saved me from one of the worse mistakes I ever made when I made reservations at Lava Springs Inn!

There is one positive thingIi can say and that is the lady who did my massage, Gretchin, she is wondonderful!

PS - I PAID TO LEAVE and go stay somewhere else and came back for the massage the next day and it was worth the money to get away from the inn and the staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank FritzandGiggles
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The Inn is just what it claims to be. Down home, rustic and wonderful. Yes they have a dog, yes he is sometimes in the kitchen. Do these people put their animals outside every time they eat? B&Bs have animals. If you want antiseptic, stay at a hospital. The whole reason you go to Lava is to relax. It is not the Bellagio, and it doesnt claim to be. I have stayed in the Inn every year for the last 10 years with my gal friends for our girls weekends once a year. I have never had a problem, the staff has always been kind and helpfull. The rooms are clean and comfy and believe me when I say the Inn doesnt smell bad. If people don't like it here it is because they expect a big city hotel in a small town. I would never stay anywhere else. Just setting the record straight folks the Inn is the place in Lava.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is not the Ritz, not the most glamorous of locations, but if you want a peaceful, friendly, and inviting environment, this is the place for you. It's location is easy to find, parking is adequate, but not very inviting. Hotel is old, but homey. There are 6 hot pools, two are too hot for comfortable use, but the four in front are pleasant and inviting. The 46 degree dipping pool is perfect for closing pores and pools were clean as they were cleaned out during our 2 day stay. The town is quaint with ample eating establishments, but we, as a family, just ate breakfast and had lunch and dinner in the 'conservatory' room on our floor. Baths are shared 2 bathrooms for 3 rooms, and are spacious, but no fans. We asked for a hair dryer and received one. Rooms are clean but rustic. There are books, movies, and TV for use by all guests, but suites have their own TV. We did not care. We were out enjoying the pools most of the day and relaxing. I am not a fan of ghost stories and the beds could have been more comfortable for the price, which is why the lower rating, but I would recommend for families or couples in a heartbeat! Loved it!

Room Tip: Suites are for those who want their own TV and bath. Not for families. Bathroom is not private in...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2012

The things I liked about this hotel were the hot spring pools on the property. I liked being able to step out of the hot spring and go to my room. My husband and I had massages on site by therapist that were called in from somewhere else... we enjoyed our massages. I can appriciate the eclecticness of the place but the owners really could keep that feel while investing in improving the hotel.
The price of the room at $150 is extreme considering the condition and quality of the hotel. I would at least think at that price that the hot pools would be only for guest but they are open to the public for a $10 charge...and the night time visitors are questionable. I would not stay here again...I would consider stating here for a $50 room rate at the very most.

Room Tip: IF you stay here and you want to have your own toliet and bath you should stay in the spa area of ho...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Melanie H
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We liked the quaint friendly atmosphere of this old hotel. We served ourselves appetizers and drinks in the second floor "conservatory" and were quickly joined by other friendly guests. We used four of the hot six pools on site and they were being used but were not crowded. This is in contrast to the public pool that we walked by on the way to the Thai restaurant, which looked packed, shoulder to shoulder. Yuck. It was however a Saturday night.

OK, the Inn is not a Marriott, but I get enough of those cookie cutters hotels that once you're inside, you could be anywhere. Sharing a bathroom was no problem, two bathrooms with showers for three rooms. And the hotel was full. You can certainly hear the trains, but there is no way they will keep you awake if you have done enough hot soaks.

Will go back for sure! Maybe next time we'll try during the middle of the week.

Room Tip: Liked room #13
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aspenleaves
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I wanted to thank bob and his wife. This was a perfect get away for the wife and I on our way to the Simplot games. Thanks for the nice time, we will be back next year.

• Stayed: February 2012