“Fantastic hot pool but overcrowded.”

Idaho's World Famous Hot Pools
More attraction details
Owner description: Year round world class hot pools! Relax in the odor free, natural hot mineral water that bubbles directly into the bottom of the soaking pools at 112 cooling to 102 degrees F. Summer Olympic swimming complex, waterpark and indoor aquatic center provide excitement for the entire family. You can scream down the waterslides at the summer fun Olympic Swimming Complex or dive from the 10 meter diving platforms. Play in the year round Indoor Aquatic Center with Portneuf Kiddie Cove year round. Camping, lodging, food and fun are located next door in the town of Lava Hot Springs.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The hot pool is fantastic. I could not locate any hot pools nearby that is comparable to this one. Locals and people from all over the world do come by here and the pool can get really overcrowded. However, I must have to say even with people everywhere near by, it is still very comfortable to enjoy a good evening there.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was visiting a friend in Pocatello, ID and he thought I would like to check out Lava Hot Springs. I was so pleased with the place. Absolutely relaxing!!!!! It is so well maintained. A nice locker room. Changing areas, lockers for a small fee, shower, bathroom facilities. Then the pools....how to explain them. Finished. Nice handrails. I loved the cover/umbrella over the pools. It was a beautiful crisp day when we went but I can see how they would come in handy. The staff were very polite and helpful. Great place! I will be back with my next visit to Pocatello.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Our first visit to Lava and the pools were just down from our hotel. Not too crowded on this nice Fall day. Lots of room to get your own spot and do some people watching. Only complaint is could not find the temps of the pools and started off in the 111 degree pool. Moved to a cooler pool and stayed for 2 hours, revisiting the hotter pool towards the end. An added bonus was the drum circle playing in the park above the pools. Well worth the $7 admission price. Heading there after we eat breakfast.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We arrived in the town after a long drive from Lake Tahoe. We got there after 10pm but were pleased to see it was still open for another hour. What bliss! The staff were very helpful and advised which were the hottest pools and that it was best to start in the coolest and work our way up. As we were there late, the place was fairly empty. Spent about an hour there - any longer and I would have been cooked like a lobster :-) Nice shower afterwards. Highly recommended if you are in the area.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My family--all adults--visited this amazingly attractive geothermal soaking facility last week. Because it historically has been a place to seek the healthful benefits of natural mineral water, and because the geothermal water flow through the pools is so large as to cleanse the pools naturally, the water is not chlorinated. In spite of this, families with young children still in diapers are welcome. When my family realized that the soaking pool we were in was also occupied by bovine young parents under age thirty and their four children under the age of seven, we moved to a different pool as soon as we realized that the youngest child had an obviously full diaper that her parents had either not noticed or had chosen to ignore. Nonetheless, late that night my wife became ill with a urinary tract infection. The emergency room physician at the hospital in Pocatello subsequently informed us that this infection probably precipitated the kidney stone attack that my wife also suffered. Did the dirty diaper cause the urinary tract infection? Who knows? But if this facility is not going to chlorinate its water, it needs to prohibit children in diapers. It's a beautiful place, but until this place gets serious about prohibiting poopy diapers you visit at your own risk.

5  Thank BoiseNBS
LavaHotSprings, Manager at Idaho's World Famous Hot Pools, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Boise NBS,

It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience here at the World Famous Hot Pools. We strive to provide a clean, healthy facility for your hot water experience. You are correct, we are a family friendly facility and provide Swim Diapers to every child under the age of three, free with their admission price. Our staff is trained to recognize when incidents such as the one you described and work to correct the situation. We will reinforce this with all staff. We have forwarded your report of kidney stones and UTI to the Southeastern District Health Department. Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Mark Lowe