“Great food but way overpriced”

Portneuf Grille & Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Portneuf Grille & Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main & Third Street
Description: The Portneuf Grille & Lounge is open nightly featuring creative Northwest cuisine prepared by our professional culinary staff, Executive Chef Alonzo Thomas, Chef Paul Jessop & Pastry Chef Mary Fangresh. The restaurant can accommodate 36 patrons, so reservations are highly recommended! Our cuisine features seafood, steaks, pastas, vegetarian & vegan dishes & desserts plus a full selection of Northwest wines, microbrews and a full lounge selection. Special dinner features are Ciopinno on Friday nights & Prime Rib on Saturday nights (while it lasts). Enjoy live entertainment in the restaurant every Thursday night (outdoors during the summer). The lounge is open nightly at 5pm and the restaurant at 5:30pm The lounge features "Taco Tuesday" and "Surf N Turf Wednesday". Happy Hour: Daily from 4:30 Fri/Sat & 5PM weekdays to 6PM with 10% off food & beverage (except Tacos & Surf n' Turf food items) Continental Breakfast is served Sat & Sun morning from 8am to 10:30am. The restaurant & lounge are located in the lower level of the Riverside Hot Springs Inn. All facilities are non-smoking. Reservations Highly Recommended.
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Great food but way overpriced”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I decided to try it out as it is one of the only places to get a steak unless you are at a bed and breakfast. We had seen a menu in our motel room and it seemed reasonably priced. When we got in and were given menus we learned that the one we had in our room was severely outdated. Because we were already seated and thought it would be rude to leave we went ahead and ate there. We each had a steak. He had filet and I had tbone. Bread came first and then the steaks were served with choice of potato and a veggie. We also had one beer each. The meal cost 84 dollars which was quite expensive for what we got. The good news is that it was delicious and our waitress Danielle was wonderful. The dining room is small and the carpets are in need of cleaning. I enjoyed the meal but wouldn't eat there again because of the price. I do understand that it is a tourist town and prices are higher.

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Not really a "Fine Dining" experience.”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Me and my Husband went to the Riverside Inn for a romantic Valentines Day dinner, this was the best option for the small town of Lava Hot Springs and I guess it would be considered "Fine Dining" for the people that live here, but they must not have discerning taste buds. My Husband and myself came here from Salt Lake City where the BEST restaurants are everywhere. But I had read the other reviews and I knew that we had to lower are standards to enjoy this dining experience.
We paid $100 for our dinner and were very disappointed. We both had the prime rib and my husband had to sent it back (he ordered it med.well, but it came out rare), I ordered mine med.rare and it was quite rare, which is fine I like a rare cut of meat, but it was close to raw. The food came out quickly, but I wanted our prime rib to be cooked properly, not quick. About 5 mins.after he sent back the prime rib, it came back.... still rare.
I would have been happy to wait for the meat to be cooked, but maybe they were trying to get us out the door to seat other people. The other items on the plate were bland and forgetful. I DO have to say that the blue cheese dressing was wonderful! It made me hopeful for the rest of the meal to be good....but it was boring and under cooked.
The cheesecake was frozen from a box and the coffee was HORRIBLE! The bartender came over to pour the cup and made a point to tell us that the coffee was very special and Delicious.... I almost choked on it! It was the WORST coffee! It had sat there for hours and hours, burning and getting bitter and awful. Then the bartender had the gall to tell us how great it was! You know, telling someone that terrible coffee is great... doesn't make it drinkable. We are not that stupid, he just said that to cover the fact that they didn't take the 5 mins to brew a fresh pot. I thought that was very sneaky.
Again...trying to force us out to make room for more people.
Everyone was super nice and the drinks were strong (which is nice) but very expensive. The most enjoyable thing that happened was a cute couple got engaged right next to us! The whole restaurant cheered and I thought that was very sweet (it was Valentine's Day). But then I thought how lame it was to have such a bland and boring and unsatisfying experience to propose to someone at....But maybe it was just us. Maybe we got stuck with the bad bits and the other people were given much better food and coffee.
But..... I think not.

• Visited February 2012
Lava Hot Springs, ID
“Great Service, Great Food & Great Company”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We decided to give Riverside Restaurant a try being we heard that they had their spinach dip appetizer back. We had a couple drinks and ordered the spinach dip which was awesome. We decided to order dinner being it wasn't too busy and were enjoying the atmosphere. They had prime rib back and my husband and friends were excited. I had the salmon with a citrus glaze that was to die for. We all enjoyed our food and was glad we had such a great time and great experience. Thanks to all the staff they were all friendly and on their toes.

• Visited February 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
“good food, a bit pricey since they do give you a food coupon to pay for breakfast”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The food was great, I have no complaints on the quality of the food

Visited January 2012
Berkeley, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bit pricey, but what'cha gonna do.”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

This restaurant is on the ground floor of the Riverside Hot Springs Inn. It has one dining room and some tables near the bar. The menu is very basic - steaks, salmon, some pasta - but the food is good and well prepared. The ambiance is very basic. However, dining options in Lava Hot Springs are extremely limited, and this is probably the best in town if you want a nicer meal.

Visited January 2012