Home Hotel Lava Hot Springs(Lava Hot Springs)
$107
Lions Gate Manor(Lava Hot Springs)
$179
Tumbling Waters Inn(Lava Hot Springs)
$85
Lava Hot Springs Inn(Lava Hot Springs)
$99
  • Pool
Aura Soma Lava(Lava Hot Springs)(Great Value!)
$109
Suites of Lava Hot Springs(Lava Hot Springs)
$89
Bristol Cabins(Lava Hot Springs)(Great Value!)
Lava Hot Springs KOA(Lava Hot Springs)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewscontinental breakfasthistoric hotelthe rivercorner roomrooms are largenice older hotelyogurtold buildingin townold worldcold cerealfirst floorthe staff was extremely friendlyhot poolsprivate hot springget awayair conditioning
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel about a half dozen times over as many years. It has changed owners at least once, maybe twice. It is a charming historical hotel that has generally been nicely upgraded. It has a lovely stairway and upstairs library, and the rooms are cute. It's a bit worn around the edges, the carpet could stand an upgrade, there are dings and bangs on the walls, but the staff is nice and the rooms are clean and comfortable. It is within short walking distance to the state-run hot pools, which is another reason we like it so much. It has its own pools downstairs. They seem to be upgrading them with new tile, walls, etc., which is good because they have previously been fairly grungy. The restaurant is perfectly good, a bit pricey, but you don't have many other options in Lava Hot Springs. All in all, we consistently return to this hotel for its relaxed and unpretentious charm, and we hope they continue to make little upgrades and keep it running for years to come.

Room Tip: There is a cute room on the second floor near the office, I think they call it the "Presidential Room," It's nice for couples.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Kathy was very helpful with our booking. Alonzo was the manager at the Resturaunt so amazing and became our friend. My sister stayed here a year ago and said it was horriable and straight out of "The Shinning." My husband and I could not have had a quite the oppisit experance! Having no phones in the rooms, and a 13 inch T.V was no problem for us. If you like watching "American Pickers" this Inn is for you. Our experance was was filled with old and enchantment moments. Step back in time and soak away your troubles. Cory and Glenda gave us our massages, also a wonderful time. Mark played great music while we ate, Brandon was are server. Deanna makes awesome burgers at the Blue Moon up the street. We will be back, and made many friends in Lava.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny Y
Reviewed December 16, 2011

when we checked in our room had a very loud heater. Asked to be moved to a room next door that seemed quieter had a king bed but was one of the few rooms that heater was quiet. After being in for 15 minutes a guy from fronk desk came and tried to charge us for a 15.00 upgrade or move us to a smaller room. Very unprofessional he did that. Should have checked room we reserved for any issues before we checked in. The headboard was not attached to the bed, sheets had holes in them. Electricity went out the next day for quite some time no hot water had to drive around with heater full blast to get my hair dry. I have been coming to lava for 10 yrs, this hotel has the potential to be first rate but need people in there who will make guests feel like they are number one

Room Tip: check your room for issues before signing in
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
HistoricRiversideInn, Owner at Riverside Hot Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2012

Dear Maggie,

Please accept our apologies for a less than great experience. It is our goal for our guests to enjoy their stay.

The Inn is nearing 100 years of age and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As you can well understand, a building of this age, is a challenge to maintain. We are working hard to upgrade the hotel and buiding so that our guests can better enjoy the charm that is characteristic of the building.

To clarify a few things, the building is heated with geothermal heat. The heating system was "Green" before its time, which we respect and feel is critical to maintain and is part of its charm. The room heaters are part of the overall system, and do from time to time have their own quirks. We apologize for the noise and acknowledge that the front desk staff member should have addressed it differently.

In regard to the electricity going out for an extended period of time, you are so right, that did happen. It appears that a major electrical line was accidently cut and caused a "city wide" power outage (not just the Riverside Inn).

We will need to address the sheet issue, as our bed linen is provided by a national service company.

We hope that you will come back to the Riverside in the future and want to be assured that we take your comments with great concern. Please feel free to contact me, I would love to discuss the issues you incurred and make sure that you feel satisfied with how we address them.

Gail Palen
Owner

Reviewed November 4, 2011

My son and I ate frequently at the Riverside Inn last winter while we were temporary residents of Lava. Being a picky eater I found it to be the only restaurant in town that I really liked. Early this fall we returned to Lava and stayed at the Inn while I was recovering from surgery. We were treated like family by the staff and owner who went out of their way by not only being hospitable they were genuinely kind. Our food was always done to perfection as well. I highly recommend patronizing the Inn if you are looking for somewhere safe to eat and drink. I found the Riverside to be the only civilized establishment where alcohol was served as well. Being able to use the private tubs for soaking greatly relieved my after surgery pain and I'm pretty convinced the water sped up my recovery process. I highly recommend this Inn for anyone looking to experience the gentler side of Lava.

Room Tip: If using a laptop you may want to see where your signal is the strongest.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mariannvv
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Our family rented the "apartment" for the weekend. I was under the impression that there were 2 bathrooms - it only had 1 and you had to get through it by walking through the bedroom. We had three children, 10, 11 and 13, with us and were immediately told upon check-in that they needed to be quiet (though they weren't making much noise), which we agreed to. They were charging us $10 extra/night due to one additional child. Dinner on the first night was relaxing by the river, however, the food took a long time and was warm, at best, though the servers were nice. The bedroom was very hot (no fan or air), only a window that barely opened but, if you left it open you could hear all of the people and smell cigarettes. The mattress in the main living area was so saggy in the middle that you could see the indentation through the bedding and the workers there have had many complaints throughout the YEARS and were aware of it, as was the owner, Gale. The workers felt that we should be compensated and they already knew the mattress should be replaced. There was no way two people could sleep on it so, eventually, I ended up on the "sofa sleeper" with two girls. The mattress for that was terrible, as well. The second day, we complained and were told that the workers would mention it to Gale and that we should really tell her when she comes in and maybe they could give us a separate room or free night stay, or something. Throughout that day, we tried several times to find her but she wouldn't come talk to us to see what she could do to rectify anything, even though we were told she was there at one time. At about 8:00 p.m., after we kept going to the "lobby" area throughout the day to see what was going to be done, we were asked if we thought the mattress would work by putting it on the floor, off of the springs. The mattress was so bad, there wasn't any way that was going to work. At around 10:00 p.m., we were brought a single person air mattress to put on the floor, a sheet, pillow and blanket. At around 11:00, other guests pushed the door open to our separate bedroom entry (the doors didn't latch tight) and came into the room. We screamed, they screamed, shut the door and they went across the hall to their room. While they were trying to open their door, there was a lightswitch on the opposite side of their door (down the hall from ours) that they started flipping. It started turning our lights on and off in our room! We couldn't believe it! The guests went back out for the evening, came back, and played with the light switch again, waking us up, even though I had opened our door the first time and they knew it was our light. Around midnight or so, the sink faucet started sounding like a very loud jackhammer. The water pressure was pushing the water in the pipes and we had to turn the main water line off under the sink. The stove was a fire hazard as one of the burners was broken but connected. Several lights were burned out. On the second (and last) morning, we awoke to find two extra food vouchers for breakfast (BIG DEAL!), especially since we didn't want to eat there! Gale never once contacted us or compensated us in any way and if I owned this business, I would maintain the facilities better, talk to my guests addressing any issues they may have and make some sort of mutually agreed upon compensation. Gale is totally lacking of respect and customer service and we're appalled at the way she chooses to run her business! We will never go there again! Run the other way!

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel/motel/inn or even TENT!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Debi D

Thank you for your review. On behalf of the entire staff, we are saddened that the guest room(s) you and your family stayed in were not a good experience for you.

I was not able to meet with you during your stay, as I was working the graveyard shift to cover for an employee that had a critical health issue and was in the hospital. However, working graveyard shift, I was well aware of the lady that accidently walked into your room. She was a bit tipsy and opened the door to your room that was left unlocked. Her door was the one next to yours and her judgement was a bit imparied. She was just as surprised as you were and was very apologetic for doing that - I had caught up to her just as she was closing your door. We have made a correction to the light switch so that it does not turn on in two locations - we take full responsibility for that issue. In addition, the mattress that you spoke of has been replaced.

Understanding from the correspondence that you left for me to review upon your departure, you own or manage an appliance or parts store of sorts and appliances are critical to you. We did have our maintenance department check all of the appliances in the apartment.

Sometimes an experience starts out on a bad foot and then negative experiences attract negative thoughts and experiences, until it is not reversible. Our sincerely apologies for your experience and will make all efforts to not have this happen in the future.

Gail Palen