“Gotta eat here...”

Ranked #1 of 78 Restaurants in Ketchum
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: For some The Pioneer Saloon is the first restaurant to head to when coming into town and the last place to go before leaving. For others, it's where they met their significant other, perhaps over a bar marg. The Pioneer Saloon, renowned for perfectly aged, tender and flavorful beef, is typical of an earlier Idaho where ore wagons rattled down Main Street and business was done with a handshake and a drink. Natural woods, mounted game, and period firearms help recreate an authentic saloon atmosphere. Duffy and Sheila Witmer have been the sole owners of the Pioneer Saloon since 1986. Today, with their children, Alyson, Chloe and Dillon, they strive to honor a historical classic while bringing new ideas to Ketchum's restaurant scene.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

As the saying goes in Ketchum... if you haven't eaten at the Pioneer, you haven't been to Ketchum... right as right can be. From scallops and trout to the famous prime rib you won't be disappointed. Every meal comes with a house salad and bread; no extra items to purchase. Prime rib is always cooked to perfection. Margaritas are killer as is the famous mud pie. Friendly staff and great location in downtown Ketchum. Also - never know who might walk in the door....

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

We eat here once a year on our annual trip and the food is still quality, but the wait times are getting silly. I don't wait any where for 45 minutes, but that's what is common here.
To add insult to injury the trout, an off menu special forever, got put on the menu this year and they were out of it!
Too many fine restaurants in the area to put up with this.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I guess no visit to Sun Valley/Ketchum would be complete without a visit to the Pio. Of course they're famous for their beef ribs that I of course didn't get to have. They sell out of them every day within the first hour of opening. I'm pretty sure it's a gimmick and an "intentional scarcity" to boost demand and to solicit return visits. especially since they are priced some of the lowest of anything on the menu. But I've heard they're good.

I had the prime rib sandwich. Other than having to trim off 1/4 of the "meat's" fat, it was great. Don't get me wrong, I know that some juicy prime rib will have some fat on it, but they could have helped me out a little with a bit more trimming. I like juicy meat, but eating spoonfuls of fat isn't my thing.

The food was great overall. Prices were as expected. The wait time to eat there wasn't fantastic (30 to 45 minutes) but I'm sure that's pretty normal.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I tell you if in Ketchum you have to experence the Pioneer Saloon for one of the best dinners you will have there. The manager is a hoot and full of history of Ketchum. You feel very welcomed and leave very full.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to me by every person who visited Ketchum/Sun Valley, Idaho. It has a rustic interior, with local flavor. We were a party of 12 so we went at 4:30 since they don't take reservations. We sat in the bar booth, enjoying the complementary chips and salsa, along with great margaritas. Our wait time was short. The wait staff was great, they gave us recommendations for other dining spots too. My trout was excellent, others enjoyed the beef and pork ribs.