“fun local favorite”

Ranked #1 of 78 Restaurants in Ketchum
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: For some The Pioneer Saloon is the first restaurant to head to when coming into town and the last place to go before leaving. For others, it's where they met their significant other, perhaps over a bar marg. The Pioneer Saloon, renowned for perfectly aged, tender and flavorful beef, is typical of an earlier Idaho where ore wagons rattled down Main Street and business was done with a handshake and a drink. Natural woods, mounted game, and period firearms help recreate an authentic saloon atmosphere. Duffy and Sheila Witmer have been the sole owners of the Pioneer Saloon since 1986. Today, with their children, Alyson, Chloe and Dillon, they strive to honor a historical classic while bringing new ideas to Ketchum's restaurant scene.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great atmosphere!! Amazing baked potato and steak! If you have a long wait in the bar, I highly recommend the house margarita.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Heavy on atmosphere, but expect to wait as it is a favorite with the locals. Beef is the speciality. I had wild salmon. It was good, but not great.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

When we come to Ketchum and we want a great steak, we always come here! It never disappoints! Perfectly cooked and always flavorful. Get there early for the artichoke hearts!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We ate on a Thursday night at 7:00pm. We had to wait a little, not that big of a problem as we were able to order drinks from the bar and transfer the tab to our table bill (don't forget to tip at the bar). The ambiance was what we expected, western motif with nostalgic Sun Valley photos. Our waitress knew the dishes well and answered various questions we had. My wife ordered the Jim Spud, a huge Idaho baked potato filled with steak, grilled onions, and cheese. Although this is listed as a side order, it is a full meal. I ordered the Rib Eye steak with grilled vegetables. The steak came as ordered, medium-rare, and the grilled vegetables were fresh and crisp. Both meals were very delicious. Although my wife and I enjoy trying new restaurants while traveling, we would eat here again in the future and bring dinner guests. The gentleman taking my name for a table when we first walked in, addressed me by name an hour later as we exited, nice unexpected touch to details (almost getting them to a 5-star). I didn't give 5-stars because there just wasn't anything exceptional about the meal, the restaurant, the pricing, or the service. All-in-all a good 4-star experience.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We actually had drinks one late afternoon and had dinner 2 nights in a row. I DEFINATELY recommend the BEEF RIBS; They fall off the bone and had a great taste. We shared an order and had plenty as the ribs were very meaty. One night we shared the Prime Rib and again it was plenty for 2 and was very tasty. We had the standard teriyaki rice the one night and had more than enough, but didn't really care for the taste. Shared a baked potato the next night with the entre and it was perfect. Staff is friendly; it is remodeled a little but still has the great atmosphere. Will definitely return when we head back to Ketchum.