“Great food, friendly service, nice atmosphere, a small-town gem”

Hearthstone Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Kamiah
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Great food that was part of our B and B stay, we had everything from quiche to pie to crepes, french toast and delish fresh baked bread. The choices were good and portions too. Don't miss this place if you're in the area!

There are newer reviews for Hearthstone Restaurant & Bakery

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We loved everything about the place. We love the owners and all their staff. They are very courteous, friendly and sure to make you feel right at home. The food is out of this world.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

As I wandered westward, following part of the Lewis and Clark Trail in early July 2013, I stopped to eat here. It was great--my subject title says it all!

1  Thank Lee B
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Was on extended work assignment in the area travelling alone and stopped by the Hearthstone for Brunch on 6/23/13 at approximately 11:00 AM.

Service was TERRIBLE. I walked in and was not greeted. I stood in the entry waiting to be seated or told to seat myself - There were book shelves full of Christian Lit. and Cookbooks for sale in the entry way so I perused the titles for 2-3 mins while a female server began cashing out a couple. Once the couple was gone, I again stood in front of the doorway and cash register, and I was still not greeted.

The resturaunt is large, but only 5 tables were being used at the time and most guests had already received their food....

I will also state that I am a woman, late 30's, HWP, wearing a modest loose fitted floral blouse, loose fitted jeans, and fancy flip flops - My hair was up and I had a very light application of make-up on, and a smile on my face..... My Point.....I would not look out of place as a customer of this establishment by any means-

I waved at a sullen faced woman (age 17-20) who seemed to be running the front of the house/cash register etc. and asked for directions to the restroom. "Back there on the left", was the only response provided.....

The Victorian themed resturaunt appeared to be clean and tidy, as did the ladies restroom. The bakery also seemed to have an abundant selection of specialty tea. The only negative about the decor, Christmas Lights! They are so tacky and out of place. To provide more authentic mood lighting the owner could install wall sconces and flameless candles.

After using the restroom I returned to the front of the resturaunt and decided to order a sandwich to go since the service was so bad, but the place has had positive food reviews in the past....

I again got the sullen woman's attention. I was provided a menu. When she asked me what type of breead I wanted, I asked what they had available. She stated that the choices were on the menu....I did not order a drink to go, and the woman did not offer to seat me while I waited or offer coffee or water.

I stood there waiting until she summoned me to pay. The transaction was void of any smiles or pleasant interactions byond the necessary function of taking my money. As I looked around the room, attempting to make eye contact with one of the older staff members I could see that htere wasn't a happy face in the place - This was really too bad.

The Food -

The sandwich menu had some unique combinations. I opted for Roast Beef. Horseradish, Purple Cabbage, Lettuce, and Tomato on Sourdough with a side salad

I went to the river and found a nice spot to enjoy my sandwich. When I openned the huge styrofoam container I was shocked to see what appeared to be two 1/4 pieces of a sandwich. The bread that the bakery makes is apparently made in petite loaf pans or something. It took
4 bites to eat each half of the sandwich and I am sure that most men could devour one of the 1/2's in 2-3 bites. The bread that everyone raves about was dry and dense. There were no air bubbles to make it light, and the texture was that of sliced bread left out exposed to the air too long. What I could taste of the roast beef, horseradish, red cabbage combo was however good; I will try this combo again at home on some fresh bread.

The side salad was a decent size with lettuce, tomato, black olives, and a bit of shredded white flavorless cheese.

I used my Trip Advisor App to find this place and was looking forward to a good meal and a bit of chat with locals who could tell me what I should make time to see or do while in the area - I left very disappointed, but am temtped to try this place one more time before i leave the area if i can to see if it was just a bad day or, if there have been recent changes inownership or other event that caused the staff and food to be less then at it's best.

2  Thank NearAndFarTraveller
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was there about a week ago. They served me a great coffee and I placed my order: Wheat Toast with extra butter, eggs over medium, and no meat. When my plate came the toast was try and hard as a rock, the eggs barely cooked with white egg serum running all over the plate, and about 8 slices of bacon. The last two years I have visited the area they have done a good job. I was so disgusted I left payment on the table and left.

2  Thank Dan S