“The Cabins and Lodgepole Grill”

The Pines at Island Park
Jacksonville, Florida
“The Cabins and Lodgepole Grill”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I tried to find a site to review these seperately but was unable so I will start with the food. We ate dinner here twice during our stay. The first night on Sat. They were having a prime rib and crab leg special. It seems that no one there knows the difference between Alaskan king crab and snow crab because the lodge personnel and our waitress both said "Alaskan King". Oh well It was snow crab clusters. We got settled in our cabin and walked to dinner, that was the nice part of our stay. No more driving after a hard day playing. I had the prime rib ($22), hubby had the combo ($32). It came with soup or salad, choice of potato and warm rosemary bread. We both asked for medium, both came out med rare to rare. I ate mine but hubby's was a little to bloody so he had them put it on the grill a few minutes. Came back perfect. the flavor of the prime was excellent with a sort of smokiness to it. It was a good portion 12-14oz. and the combo came with one snow crab cluster that was not overcooked and came out of the shell easily. Super sweet fresh taste. The salad was standard and the cup of clam chowder I had was very good. The rosemary bread was awesome and easy to eat a couple of baskets. The next time we had a half slab of ribs ($18.95), and the half chicken (13.95) beef stew was the soup. Both were very good and cooked right. Large portion of ribs. stew was Dintymore tasting, but not terrible. We both had to take a box home. The thing I do like about the large dinners is that they will charge you to split a meal(5.95), but you get the soup or salad and potato choice and vegatable with it as well as the delicious bread. The food rating is very good...Now for the CABINS: We booked a one bedroom for for 5 nights ($945). When we arrived it had been about 85 that day and was expected to be in the 80's the next three days. The first thing we noticed was...NO A/C. That wasn't in the brochure! We were told to leave the windows open at night and close them in the day and it would be comfortable. After the second day it was. But if coming during the heat of summer be warned. You are given a box fan,ours was broken but the front desk had one waiting when we got back from dinner. The cabins our nice but basic. No phone,no internet (not a problem for us but you need to know) and the TV in bedroom can't be changed from living room channel, no remote. Beds were comfortable, towels were clean, but the fridge and the dishes needed to cleaned before using. The prior renters clean those. I'm sure the hot tub would have been great but when we tried it the chlorine smell was so strong we gagged and couldn't breathe. No more after that. As for the complaint of 10pm noise control. I appreciate that fact. I do not come to a place to listen to others carry on all night when I'm trying to relax. Get a private home for that and even then the homes in the area are pretty close together and the owners are particular. We almost didn't stay here after viewing with a drive by because of the exterior condition. There are old cabins scattered in front of the new ones and the grass is knee deep by the cabins. Apparently the old cabins cannot be removed for historical value. At least clean them up a little! This is not what I would consider a resort. It is a bunch of cabins together on a small acreage. The one bedroom we stayed in was basic yet comfortable. However I would rent a house with all amenities before I would pay that price for this cabin. I could have at least done my laundry, and had the grass cut!

Room Tip: If booking check Houses in area first. one room cabins have minifridge,micro coffee maker. No a/c,ph...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReelSpearit

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We came out to stay here with some extended family this summer and were very pleased. It is on the more expensive side (around $1300 a week for a one bedroom cabin), but the location is excellent for the local lakes, trails, and rivers in Island Park. It isn't on the main highway, but just off a side road, so it is quieter. But, it's close enough to the road that it is a good home base for visiting the Tetons and Yellowstone. Expect an hour drive to Yellowstone; the Tetons takes about 2 hours. We were in a smaller cabin and other family was in larger, two bedroom cabins. The cabins are clean and up to date; no musty, grimy paneling here as in other places we've rented. The cabins are very open, with beds in the open lofts. If you have young kids, it can be a problem as noise from parents can keep them up after bed time so you're reduced to whispering in the evenings. But it's very homey and very comfortable. There is a grocery store about 7 minutes away but we found the gas station, which is a 10 minute walk away or a quick bike ride, to be very well stocked for emergency diaper and ice cream runs. There is a small lawn down behind the restaurant/lodge for kids to run around on, but that's about the only place for them to play. The dirt roads immediately around the cabins see a lot of traffic from your neighbors coming and going, but dirt bikers and ATVers aren't allowed around the cabins so you don't have to worry about sucking in dust all the time. Also, as other reviewers have mentioned, you are very close to your neighbors, so if you are stuck next to people like reviewer Meeereeree, your life could be fairly miserable. Fortunately, the management enforces the 10:00 p.m. quiet hour, so you won't be kept up by shouting drunken partiers. This is a keeper for sure. If there were more space between the cabins, I would give it 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were originally booked at a differant lodge but for reasons beyond their control had to come to the pines. I will never be Bach again it's terrible!!! We brought our 4 wheelers and dirt bikes with us and were told we could keep them at the cabin then got yelled at by a differant employee saying we couldn't have them!!! U have to turn ur hot tub jets off at 10pm and can't make any noise after 10!!! I come camping to have fun not to have a bedtime!!! They only have 1 fire pit for all the cabins to use so u can't even light a fire and sit by it and talk!! Ur neighbors complain even if u look at them!! In my opinion if u want a bedtime and don't want to have any fun then go ahead and stay here but if u want to have a good time then stay about 2 miles south at ponds lodge!!! Also the floors creek so bad from the loft to downstairs in the bedroom u can't get any sleep!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Meeereeree
MA
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Of my three trips out West, this has been the best choice around Yellowstone (There are not great options as far as I am concerned, especially since the BAR N Ranch is closed in the winter now-if you go in summer, go there). We stayed in a one bedroom cabin which also had a full size queen bed in the loft. The log cabin was just perfect for my husband and I. Their was a comfortable living room with a leather couch which had seen some better days but was still comfortable and a really large easy chair and ottoman which was great for reading while my husband hugged the couch. There was a TV with satellite, however it seems they did not have the weather channel which is imperative for snowmobilers to stay safe during the day. There was also NO internet which could be good or bad depending on your lifestyle. There was a functional and clean bathroom with the shower and toliet in one room and then the sink and vanity separate which is handy. Our cabin (#25) did not have a full kitchen, however, I thought I was getting one, it may have been my error speed reading through the site. One of the guys we talked to said there was a one bedroom cabin next to us that had a full kitchen but for some reason we weren't given that one. So, if you are going there, make sure to confirm over the phone what your kitchen is like. In this one,there was a microwave, coffee maker, and plates, cups, silverware, glasses, etc. I will say although we enjoyed our stay very much, the plates, cups and glasses were gross. I don't think they were washed well by the prior renters or the housekeeper. It is one of those condo type places which wants you to clean the kitchen before you leave. This is fine if the people that left before you cleaned or if the housekeeper checked it. There is not daily housekeeping but they do provide plenty of towels. Here is the best part, the HOT TUB on the deck. Nothing better than a hot tub after a cold hard day on the sleds. Better when you sit in the tub and the snow is falling on you. The beds were also very comfortable. The front desk staff was not super informative when we arrived, we had booked a package with rentals and they were not sure when the sleds were coming and that did cause us some concern. There are several cabins but there is a main lodge, where you can eat dinner. We ate their twice, the food was good, it is a real steak and potato menu. They did have salmon, a burger, half chicken dinner and some dinner salad but it is mostly steak, as is most of the restaurants in Idaho and Montana. There is a small bar at the restaurant where you can catch some local information and a few laughs. You can walk to the lodge from your cabin which is nice and easy. There are a couple of neat "lodge" dogs on the property, too. On our way out, we stopped at the front desk to tell them how great we thought it was, but the door was locked. As I was getting in my car, the guy came out, and I told him all we wanted to do was say thanks for a great time and he said, "Yut". I'm not sure if the culture is different out there, but I did expect a different response. This location is about 20 miles outside of West Yellowstone on Route 20. Easy to ride into if you want, but you are very close to the best snowmobiling. There are 3 bedroom cabins too, which look very nice and may be better equipped. All in all, we are planning to be back next year. We travel from Massachusetts for the great scenery out in Idaho and Montana. Sledding is incredible out there, so if you are thinking about it, just do it, life is too short.

Room Tip: Cabin #25 was close to the lodge, still had some privacy, but lacked a full kitchen, if this is impo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redheadMA
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We had a fantastic stay at The Pines! Our cabin was gorgeous; newly constructed with beautiful granite counter tops, leather sofas, a heated bathroom floor, a cozy loft where our daughter slept very comfortably, and a wonderful hot tub. The Pines lodge restaurant was also a treat with friendly service and great food. We were pleased in every way with our stay!

Room Tip: You can ask for one of the newer cabins, but they are all very nice!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank rdailey
Houston
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We rented two cabins for after our backpacking trip in the Winds and as a base to explore Yellowstone. The Scouts were looking forward to the cabins, but they exceeded their expectations by far. Roomy, beautiful, functional and well-appointed, these cabins are very special. We used the outdoor grills to cook our dinner and the full service kitchen to do the other preparations. Of course, the boys loved the hot tubs. There is no daily maid service and bring your own shampoo, but those are very minor quibbles.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank NDSol
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We spent 4 days in a one-bedroom cabin with our 6-year-old, and this cabin kept all of us comfortable and occupied. My daughter immediately claimed the loft, and we all enjoyed access to movies and TV. The kitchenette was perfect for breakfast foods and sandwiches, and the hot tub was clean, lovely, and so much fun on the chilly nights! We ate at the lodge for only one meal, but it was great. We arrived too late for dinner on our final night, and the proprieters offered to make us some chicken fingers although they had begun cleaning for the night. We had desert and had a lovely conversation, got directions for the next day, and felt like we parted friends! The lodge has a rustic bar with fireplace and very good service. An easy drive to West Yellowstone, too. Free wifi, but signals are difficult. Got good phone reception on the deck.

Room Tip: Each cabin comes with a loft bed, so 1 BR=2 beds
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
#4 of 39 in West Yellowstone
ClubHouse Inn West Yellowstone
ClubHouse Inn West Yellowstone
#10 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to The Pines at Island Park? Share your experiences!