“Quiet weekend in Idaho Falls”

Hampton Inn Idaho Falls At the Mall
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Idaho Falls
Utah
“Quiet weekend in Idaho Falls”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This hotel is on the east side of Idaho Falls, close to Ammon. It is not close to the freeway or the falls on the Snake River, but it is close to the mall, good restaurants, movie theater and other family entertainment. We spent the weekend here and we were not disappointed. First impression was the friendly front desk guy. Our check-in was fast. The room was spacious, although I think they sacrificed some bathroom space to make the rest of the room larger. Everything in the room was clean and in working order. The furnishings are a step up from most chain hotels.

Beds were comfortable, TV and free wi-fi internet worked. Heating and air conditioner worked. The complimentary breakfast was good. They offer a good variety of continental breakfast items... muffins, bagels, cold cereal, etc. but also have hot items that were different each day... biscuits and gravy, bacon, fried potatoes, etc.

My biggest complaint was the pool. It was frigid when we were there. I wanted to take my kids swimming but it was miserable so we just sat in the hot tub (which wasn't all that hot).

The other complaint, which was quickly resolved by the staff, was that I was charged twice for the room. I prepaid online at hamptoninn.com (not priceline or hotels.com) and then they also charged my card when I checked out. Apparently someone didn't follow the correct procedures with a prepaid reservation. I called and talked to the accounting person at the hotel and the charge was reversed. Initially she told me it would take 3-5 days for the credit to show up, but she went the extra mile and actually called my bank and did whatever she had to do to get the credit on my account the same day. Maybe because I used a debit card... I'm not sure.

And, my room key would not open the side entrance so I had to use the main entrance. I never asked hotel staff about that, so perhaps a new key would have taken care of that.

Overall... good experience, good hotel, friendly staff. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floor was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hampton Inn I, General Manager at Hampton Inn Idaho Falls At the Mall, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at our Hampton Inn. We appreciate your time and the wonderful comments you had for our staff and property.

I would like to apologize for the discomfort you experienced with the temperature of our pool. We take great pride in the maintenance at the hotel and strive to maintain the pool area in excellent condition.

We hope you will try us again the next time you are passing through.

All the best,

Kirk Hansen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
C. MT
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Perfect location for shopping as it is across the street from the mall also very close to the hospital. The pool and hot tub were recently renovated and the fitness room was closed for renovations. Also recently the TV's were up graded to several HD channels

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travelingfoolmt
I just wanted to say thanks for your recent stay here at our hotel! I'm so glad you were able to experience our warm Hamptonality. We can't wait to see you again soon.

Many thanks,

calgary
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We spent one night here en route to Palm Springs. We ended up with a junior suite which was the last room left for the night. Unbeknowst to us, Idaho Falls is very busy with people coming and going as we tried a number of hotels, and before finding this one, which was a little out of the way. However, the room was comfortable and spacious and quiet. The bed could have been a bit more comfortable. The biggest knock against this hotel is the the walls are not soundproofed: we could hear our neighbours next door quite clearly. A hot buffet breakfast is offered and it is more than adequate. Lots of variety and choice. Again, the only other complaint is their use of plastic cutlery and dishes - guess it makes clean up much easier for the staff and of course less staff overall. Staff was courteous, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay at the Idaho Falls Hampton Inn and for the time you took to complete a review for our property. I appreciate your kind comments.

Unfortunately, the noise level is slightly higher when we have a full house. Your comfort is very important to us and we do our best to ensure that our guests respect quiet hours and other guests.

I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit. Thank you again for your feedback and your business!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 30, 2011

A large family group stayed at the Hampton Inn for a funeral. The staff was very helpful and accomodating from the time we booked our rooms until we left. The rooms were spacious but the bathrooms were a little small. The breakfast was good with a great deal of variety. The host kept everything well stocked. The hotdogs with condiments and drinks and later hot apple cider were a real treat on Monday evening. The rooms were quiet, clean and the hotel is in a very safe area with many restaurants and a mall within walking distance. This wil be our new place to stay in Idaho Falls.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your time and the positive feedback you had for the Idaho Falls Hampton Inn. I'm thrilled to hear you took the time to enjoy the light evening meal and the hot breakfast. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels.

Many thanks,

Milwaukie, Oregon, United States
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on business and was very pleased at their service. The rooms were clean and well equipped and the staff went over and above in service. They even scraped the windshield of my car when there was overnight heavy frost. While the hotel gym wasn't the best, they are in process of upgrading and provided a pass to a local gym in the interim. The hotel is conveniently located, with a mall within walking distance and a hospital a few blocks away. In addition to the usual Hampton complimentary breakfast, the hotel also provided a free dinner entree each weekday evening. Nothing fancy -- pizza, spaghetti, chili, etc., but I have not seen this at other Hamptons.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
As general manager of this hotel, I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our success is dependent on the feedback we get from you. Thank you for your appreciation of our guest service and the windshield. We take great pride in going the extra mile.

I am very please and excited to let you know the fitness center has been completed with all new equpment, and like always we offer a pass to a local gym.

When your travels bring you to Idaho Falls again, I'd be honored to hve you stay with us again.

All the best,

Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have stayed in a few Hampton Inn's and they have been really nice, clean and seemingly sleek in their design. This one was disappointing. I live nearby and wanted to have a little getaway with my boyfriend. The best things about this hotel: the staff's friendliness and the breakfast. Other than that, it was blah. The first room we were put in did not have a functioning toilet and the shower had not been cleaned (soap and such all over the walls). The second room we went to was smaller, but fine. Until 6am when we heard EVERYTHING about our upstairs neighbor's morning routine. Then the hallway noise began which was equally as disturbing. It seemed like there was really poor insullation in the ceiling and the walls. If you are a heavy sleeper then perhaps this won't be a problem. Otherwise, choose another place. I booked on Priceline so I didn't have a chance to read about the hotel. Next time I'll look on TripAdvisor and skip the "deep discounts" to avoid sleepness nights and dirty tubs. I did appreciate the staff's kindness and cheerfulness. They suggested I always ask for a third floor room. Although I wish they had just put me in one, as the hotel was fairly empty, I will definitely use this advice for my next (non-Hampton Inn) hotel stay.

Room Tip: Choose the third floor at the end of the hallway to lessen noise disturbance.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. Thank you for noticing the friendliness of the staff and the breakfast. We take great pride in our guest service and I'll share your comments with the staff.

I am sorry for the experience you had with the rooms. I assure you this is not the norm, and we will make every effort to ensure this doesn't happen again.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to make this up to you the next time you are passing through. Please let me know if there's anything else we can do to make your next stay with us feel more like home.

Virginia
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I can honestly say I was expecting a lot more than what we got. We have stayed in soo many Hampton Inn's over the years and this one was just wasn't up to the standard that others are. The breakfast was pretty sad. My kids were very disappointed. They had a hard time finding anything other than waffles that looked appealing. We needed to use the washer and dryer and the dryer was broken. Undoubtedly, according the the front desk lady, it had been broken for months. Well, when you have multiple children and are counting on a working washer and dryer it isn't pleasant to find one that is broken. The lobby was always very busy. It is quite small- so it was very loud all the time. The pool was clean, small- approx 24 x 16 feet. As with most indoor pools it was very humid in the room and the chlorine smell just about knocks you off your feet- but the kids loved it. The hot-tub is very old and didn't seem super clean. The pool towels were HAND TOWELS- so you had to use several in order to dry off. The room was fine. The beds were high and the mattresses were okay. LOVED the huge desk- which is ususally found in their hotels. Nice flatscreen- however the cable selection was quite small. The hotel is located near the mall and lots of stores. The urgent care is very close- and there is a pharmacy right across the street from the hotel and a post office was close too. This hotel is NOT near the airport or the FALLS. But you have to think about the fact that you can practically drive from one end of this city to the other in about 20 minutes so that wasn't a big deal for us. We felt safe in the hotel and I didn't worry about the kids running down to get hot-chocolate in the lobby. The bathroom counter is granite and has the open shelving below- which is nice. Plus there are several bathroom hooks- which makes it super nice for everyone to hang up their LL BEAN toiletry bags. The bathroom is not super huge and the sink is in the bathroom- so that is a bit frustrating- but over all it wasn't a bad place to stay. I do feel that the price was quite high for the size of the room and the location- but since the company was paying for it I didn't worry too much about that! Would I stay here again? Probably. I do have to say that it was nice to grab the little bagged breakfast when we were leaving at 4am- the kids said that was the best part of the stayand I agree.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hampton Inn I, General Manager at Hampton Inn Idaho Falls At the Mall, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
We appreciate the time you took to complete such a detailed review of your recent stay. We greatly appreciate the wonderful things you had to say about our hotel.
I am sorry to hear that the guest dryer was not in working condition when you were here, and would like to assure you that we take great pride in our hotel and work hard to promptly make any repairs that are needed.
We hope the next time your travels bring you to the area you will stay with us again.