“Never going back”

Hotel on the Falls
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Idaho Falls
“Never going back”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel and they had three people helping one customer, and there were maybe 5 of us waiting to get helped. When I got to my room the view I had was of other hotels, even though I paid for the room with a view of the falls. I ordered room service, food was cold, fries were dry, there was nasty hair in my food and about 30 minutes after my kids ate they got really sick, diareah and vomiting. I called the kitchen and they not only didnt answer but never called back, I ended up going down to the front desk where they were being very apologetic. when the kitchen person came up to my room to give me my money back she gave me $5!!!! She pretty much called me a liar because none of her kitchen staff had the same hair color as the hair I found, then called me a bad mother because food poisoning doesnt happen that fast, it takes 24hrs, and I had probably fed them something that made them sick and I should watch what I gave them. I would NEVER recomend this hotel, it was the worst experience I've ever had!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Fregoso31
Maria W, General Manager at Hotel on the Falls, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Fregoso31,
I want to sincerely apologize for all the difficulties you encountered while staying at the Hotel on the Falls. You should never had to deal with cold food, illness, and especially a staff member treating you in such fashion. Since I was recently hired, I have begun to retrain all staff on the extreme importance of quality value, reservation integrity, and top notch guest service.

If you feel inclined to give us another chance to see the changes we are making, please contact me directly.

I wish you the best for the remainder of this summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Spokane, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I chose this hotel and booked it on hotels.com where it was rated as a 3/5 star hotel. I was not impressed with the condition of the room (it smelled lightly of vomit) and there were spider webs with dead bugs over the vanity. We had to wait for 10 minutes to check in and were not informed that there was a complimentary breakfast. The rate I paid on the hotels.com site was more than the standard rate charged at the hotel too, also frustrating. I was expecting to stay in the main hotel not the adjacent building by the empty pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel.
Kameron B,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am sorry that your stay wasn’t what you expected. We should be able to exceed expectations and not fall far short of them. My staff and I are working very diligently to improve the hotel in all areas. We do have the pool back up and running and guests are enjoying the clear waters! I hope to see you in the future so we can show you how we used your comments constructively. Have an enjoyable day!

Travelers are raving about these Idaho Falls hotels

Arizona
Reviewed May 30, 2013

An aging property with an outstanding view of river, falls, and LDS temple. Grounds are very worn and unkempt. Rooms are oversized compared to rates charged, an excellent value and the cooked breakfast is better than most. The staff is friendly and anxious to serve but we were there over the Memorial weekend and there were not enough towels for the guests. We were given all kinds of excuses and apologies but not having towels for your guests is almost in the same category as not having toilet paper. Whoever was responsible for not keeping the linens properly stocked should be terminated as this kind of disruption cannot be overlooked. A smart management team would have come up with some sort of "make up" offer instead of "so sad, too bad!"

Room Tip: River view is worth the premium to get it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Maria W, General Manager at Hotel on the Falls, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Valpo1125,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at Hotel on the Falls. I apologize that we did not have enough towels during your stay. I agree that towels are very vital. I am currently working with the owners to get the hotel up the correct linen and terry levels.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you about your previous stay or if you are coming back to the area.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This town is a beautiful place, at least in May. The hotel sits right on the river and right across from a beautiful Mormon temple. You can walk to the falls and the downtown historic district. Stay on the Side of the falls it is worth it.

Room Tip: When staying here eat at Smittys down the street!!
1 Thank JAZEStopp
JAZEStopp,
Thank you for your kind review. I do believe we are fortunate to have the best view in town. It is so peaceful and provides a perfect walking area right by the falls. I wish you the best and look forward to having you stay with us again!
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked a reservation at this hotel online. When I arrived, they tried to give me another type of room than what I booked. The manager said that when you book online, they cannot guarantee the room! What? I even took the precaution to call a couple of days prior to arrive to confirm my reservation and still was not given the room type I had reserved. The front desk clerk said that my reservation was for the deluxe king (like I had reserved), but they were sold out of those types of rooms. I was so frustrated I cancelled my reservation and went down the street! A family member, however, was able to get the room type he had reserved, but when he pulled back the sheets, discovered hair that was not his! I guess the only redeeming factor is that the view from the tower is fantastic.

2 Thank Julie H
Julie H,
I am sorry about the bad experience you had with our hotel. I agree that when you book a room, you should be given the room type you have reserved. I am working with the owners, the reservation system company, and all the online travel agencies (such as expedia, hotwire, etc) to make sure that all reservations will be honored correctly. I have also addressed the sheets issue with my Executive Housekeeper and we have enforced a strict policy that should any employee be caught not changing sheets, they will be terminated immediately.

I hope that the rest of your trip was enjoyable. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Maybe the tower portion is better but we were in the two-story section surrounding the pool. The room hadn't been cleaned because there were empty shampoo & conditioner containers in the shower, including products not from the hotel. We didn't have enough towels & were told it would take some time & effort for them to get us more. The kleenex box was completely empty. The bed was very hard. The free wi-fi didn't work at all & we asked at the desk & weren't given much help. I decided to use their complementary beverage service but they were out of cups and even though a nice worker looked in several places, she couldn't find any. The breakfast was difficult since the hot food was gone and they weren't bringing any new, plus the bread items were almost gone as well as milk for cereal. I would not stay here again.

1 Thank swcarey
Swcarey,

Thank you for your review. I apologize about the housekeeping and have discussed with the Executive Housekeeper and the front office about ensuring guests are never checked into dirty rooms. It is something that shouldn’t ever occur. I also have talked with the kitchen about breakfast being stocked completely until the end of the hours it is open. Please know that we are using your comments to improve the hotel. I hope to be able to show you in the future the strides we are taking to make the overall guest experience remarkably better.
Alpine, UT
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Hotel was low on towels, only had two in our room, even though I reserved for three adults. No cups for the tea in the lobby, and the shower had left over shampoo and soap from previous visitor. They were out of almost everything at breakfast. Very little to eat. Definitely not one of our favorites.

Scott C,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to review our hotel. I am so sorry your stay had several issues. I agree that things need to improve and was hired to do just that. I have raised these issues with the appropriate managers to get all things running smoothly so you and all other guests can have a hassle free stay. I hope that the remainder of your trip away from home was wonderful.

Enjoy a marvelously beautiful day!