“HORRIBLE HOTEL”

Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Idaho Falls
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Idaho Falls
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I recently made a visit to Idaho and stayed at this hotel and it might have been one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. First the smell in the hotel was horrible. It changed as you walked through the hotel from a musty smell, to dirty smell, to dirty pool smell. It was just horrible. My bathroom had a squealing fan anytime you turned the lights on and after reporting it, it was never fixed. After calling a second time to ask why it wasn't fixed they informed me it was as I said really because i'm in the bathroom now and it is still squealing. So they said they would send someone up again and no one ever showed up. I called a third time and again got the we will send someone up and no one ever came. The room was clean for the most part, but the light switch in the bathroom also was very hard to use. The shower was extremely dirty and there was black mold in the bathroom. The shower head was covered in white mildew. To turn on the shower there was a straight piece of medal you had to push in (which was not easy) and when you were done you had to try and pull out a wet medal rod to ensure the shower didn't just spray all over you the next time you get in. The TV remote did not work in my room and complained a few times about it, but again nothing was fixed.

This hotel is extremely dated and needs to be fixed up in a lot of places. The main doors would hang open, the smell as stated before was horrendous. The staff was not friendly, I came into the parking lot and two of the staff were outside smoking in the spot where I wanted to park, and they got an attitude with me about moving to another spot.

I noticed when I went to check in that the hotel had a piece of paper in back that said TripAdvisor Hotel of the year 2012 and after staying there I wonder how this is possible. There were much nicer hotels in the area that I wish I had stayed at.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sid S
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Idaho Falls, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Sid S.

After reading the review of your recent stay I was extremely concerned with the experience you had here. It is obvious that I need to have a meeting with my staff regarding guests requests, facility cleanliness and guest satisfaction. Your concerns should have been taken care of right away and it is obvious that they were not. The hotel itself is set for a renovation within the next year which I am sure will rectify many of the complaints you have (broken doors and dated facility). The substance that you referred to as white mildew on the bathroom showerhead is actually hard water stains but should be remedied when we receive a water softener with the before mentioned renovation. I will talk with my housekeeping staff to work on removing the hard water stains in the meantime. I actually don’t know how to explain the smells as I haven’t had that comment before and fortunately have not noticed it myself. I do however consider all of your comments valid and will take the steps necessary to fix the problems. I appreciate your candid review.

General manager

There are newer reviews for Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Idaho Falls

Reviewed July 14, 2012

On our way from L.A to Montana. Traveling with three kids. Thought this place looked pretty good. Upon arrival, grouchy lady at front desk. Room looked nice at first until we settled in. Smoke odor throughout entire stay. Restroom had a permanent urine smell. Sink was slow to drain. Noticed only two bath towels, called grouchy lady to send up more, she never did. I had to go down myself to get them. When I asked her about the delay she said that the housekeeper had changed shifts. This was at 11:30pm. Looked good on hotels.com, super disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Treborandglo
shiloinns, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Idaho Falls, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Treborandglo,

Thank you so much for your review. I apologize for any hassle that may have occurred during your stay. I have personally addressed the situation with front desk and the restaurant owner. We strive to make sure all the needs of our guests are meet and I will be working with front desk closely to make sure this happens every time. In regards to the rooms, I am going to make sure that each room is detailed completely to make sure no old odors linger. We hope that you might consider coming again and if you do, please look me up and I will make sure you are taken care of.

Trish McIntosh
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just passing through. It was clean but dated. It seemed like it was a pretty contemporary hotel 20 years ago, but not all of the maintenance has been completed over the years and it shows in places. We liked the breakfast, being a break from continental breakfasts we had previously. Not a bad stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Idaho Falls, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Edward W.

Thank you for the review. We have been told by our Corporate office that they have plans to renovate the property with the next year so we are excitedly anticipating it. Although our rooms and building may be a little dated, we strive to overcome those hurdles with clean rooms, great amenities and great customer service. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed here a few weeks back and were very dissapointed.We stayed here last year also and it hasnt changed. we cancelled one of our reservations last year because the pool and hot tub were closed. We use price line for our stayes and weseem to all most always get the shilo so guess we will have to quit using them. we go to relax and swim and hot tub. the pool has tiles off and where they were there are cracks with green algee in them. we did not and would not get in. they were both discussting. The breakfast was kind of ok. It was in the resturant and was a buffet.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Penni45
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here on a business trip. The "suite" consisted of an extra sink and a small fridge. Everything was clean, but old (laminate countertop was chipped a bit). I thought it was overpriced for the quality of the furnishings, but the event I was attending was in the conference area of this hotel, so the convenience was great. Had I known the area, I probably would have stayed at a hotel across the street (there are several in a cluster here).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear SunShyneBYU,

Thank you so much for your review of our property. We are aware that the property is a bit outdated but I am happy to tell you that our Corporate office has plans to renovate the property within the next year. We strive to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable room and great customer service. We believe that our friendly staff outweighs the older surroundings but we are very excited for the upcoming renovations. Thank you again for your review, we greatly appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I remeber staying at this hotel as a kid, so it was interesting to see the place 20 years later. The property is clearly showing its age, the exterior and parking lot are looking sad. Inside, our room had been partially upgraded with new carpet, linens, furniture and bathroom. Overall, I was impressed considering the price we paid ($50 on priceline). We basically got a full service hotel for the price of a cheap motel. Wifi and breakfast at the attached restaurant were included free and the location on the river was terrific. The staff were helpful and attentive, there was a large party in the lounge on our first night, and the front desk staff seemed to be going out of there way to put guests in the other side of the building to keep us away from the noise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have balconies and a view of the river.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear relytj,

Thank you so much for your recent review. Without comments, good and bad, from our guests, we would not be able to continually train our employees to improve our service. It’s very gratifying to read a comment regarding the staff and how well they did. We have so much to offer at our property (a beautiful riverside location, extra-large rooms, on-site restaurant, on-site lounge and a free breakfast just to name a few) but our customer service is key. We are expecting many improvements to the property in the near future and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is our second visit in 3 years. The location, right on the river parkway, is perfect for walking and watching boats and wildlife. Inside, however, it's clearly in need of a refurb. The room was clean enough, but looking worn out; damaged door, wall... The rooms are very large a with small kitchenette area, so they are very convenient. There are several motels along the river here, so we'd probably stay at a different one next time. I agree with previous reviews about the staff; the manager on duty helped us a lot; she was a bright spot.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear 52cali,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I appreciate your comments about the location and especially the staff. Sometimes it’s hard to compete with the sparkly new properties that seem to pop up every year but I know I have the best staff in town that makes up for any building shortcomings. We do however have plans of renovating the property so I hope to see you back in the future. Shilo Inns is committed to providing guests with comfortable rooms and excellent service.