“Great!”

and 1 more site!
Camari Garden Apartments
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gerani
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The first time I've ever returned to the exact same place. Great value for money. I'll be returning! The food is mouthwatering, the staff friendly and the local village is wonderful too. And it cost me well under three-hundred pounds for everything. The thought of going home riles me.

• Stayed: May 2014
9  Thank Steve F
There are newer reviews for Camari Garden Apartments

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed here for the first time last year in July 2013 and will definitely be going back. We travelled as a party of 12 (mix of teenagers and adults) and enjoyed every minute of our stay. The apartments are a little remote which didnt bother us at all with stunning views over the sea. Rethymnon is great - plenty of history, shops, watersports and variety of restaurants. Our children met some great friends and have subsequently kept in touch. Apartments spacious, clean and well maintained. The family were very welcoming and helpful frequently giving advice and organising transport. Gerani village is a short walk up the hill and has a fantastic restauarant called Staras which is highly recommended. I even went to two Greek orthodox church services and the villagers were so welcoming - even giving me an enormous loaf of bread to take back to the family after a communion service. Went on some super day trips - Chania and Kournas lake highly recommended as is the waterpark. Two pools and never had to fight for a sunbed ! Food on site was good and reasonably priced. Angela and her family are really lovely people and as someone else on here said - "Arrive as strangers, leave as friends."

Room Tip: Upper rooms have wonderful sea views and attract a warm Mediterranean breeze !
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Croftonglazier
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Staff were extremely friendly. Apartment was clean and spacious. Balcony had nice views. Food was lovely. Plenty of room in both pools to either swim or play. Sun loungers were always available. Complex was spot on. Beach is near by. Unbelievable value for money, can't fault it. :-)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Liddle2
Reviewed December 20, 2013

First let me share this amazing tip! Greece is (probably) the only country in the world where the food in the hotel as well as the drinks is the cheaper than a restaurant! This makes sense! Why would you want people to end their custom with the beds! Camari has some of the best food i have ever tried!! Plus they have their specials!!! I have eaten the pasta which i am very fond of which i had for starter all the time, saganaki which i great and the Kotopoulo fillet on bbq is just class!!

Anyways moving on to my spacious room!! wow i had enough room to dance the syrtaki!! Clean great scenery and i loved my stay here!

I travelled solo and most of my fellow greeks take a liking to me and intrigued with my solo travels.

The staff were like family, Manoli the man the legend, Alexi was so helpful with everything, Niko took me into town on his bike as i needed a lift and the lady who owns it…what was her name?? Ioulia? Eleni? well she wears glasses treated me like a son and the dad (in his 70's) was so sweet he'd ring my mum to tell her i was a good boy and to tell her is was fine! bless.

The one thing is that it is placed in a remote area, not a lot to do but down the road, a 5 minute walk is the bus stop and they come every hour and they go west or east but Eastwards, the bus stop is very vague. You have to stand right by the bend about 20 metres away to your left.

Taxi costs 10 euro to Rethymno so if you can afford it, ask Alexi for one at the hotel

Great little find this - stay was in 2011 too

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Bangin
Reviewed December 17, 2013

wife and i stayed here,september 2013.being our first time here.found the hotel /rooms to be very clean and spotless.food in the restaurant,very reasonable.prices ranged from 4euro-11euro.a pint of draught for 2-50 euro.never had a bad meal there,but did when we ate out in rethymno.the rooms are cleaned daily,sheets & towels changed every third day.cooking facilities is basic like most greek apts,but with the prices you pay at the restaurant its not worth cooking.though we have been to crete many times found this to be a little gem.if you like lounging round the pool,it has two pools,with beds & brollies.but as we like exploring & the beach,you need to hire a car,which you can do from the hotel.see george.we hired one for 12 days for 320 euros.we compared prices in rethymno,there was about 10 euro difference.for that we got a kia picanto.if you do hire a car,visit bali,a lovely beach,sandy beds & brollies 6-50 euros.about 40k +-.also kalives about the same distance.read the reviews on stara taverna up the hill,but we were dissapointed with our meal.had better at camari.on a few reviews,people complained,that there was no washing up liquid,tea towels,hard beds,this is a 2 star hotel.what do you expect slumberland ?.we found this hotel was quiet,clean.and nico,george,uncle mano and angela very friendly & helpfull.i would go again.

Room Tip: get a top floor sea view below restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank gevi186259
Reviewed December 11, 2013

SO I have been going to Crete all my life, I have travelled pretty much everywhere there is to go, luckily I am half greek and my Dad is from Athens, biased I know! :) This hotel was superb, we were on the ground floor, and two steps away there was the pool. Perfect. We were lucky to have hired a car, but there is a bus stop down the road and a small supermarket, but, the food here, is just superb. All fresh, all obviously local. I'm really surprised that people rated this place as being poor, it's not. Trust me. I would go back here again, shame it's not often enough. I recommend to anyone who's looking for somewhere to stay that is central to Crete, June is the best time to go.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor for ease for my mum, neighbours weren't noisy, you are right by...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank David J
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Two week holiday in Aug'13.
Ages were:-
2 x 60+
2 x 40+
2 x 13+

Negatives (not many):-
----------------------
Location of this complex is in the middle of nowhere/isolated, albeit Gerani Village at the top of the hill and a small cove at the bottom of the hill both in walking distance, but this is difficult for the elderly/unfit/wheelchair-users as it is fairly steep (especially going to the cove).
The restaurant down at the cove is bad, we had mould on our bread, warm beer, and they have nothing available that was shown on the menu.
The cove at the bottom of the steep hill is gravel rather than sand, and not really a place to lay and sunbathe.
If you want to walk to a different taverna/restaurant each night, it's not for you.
Going to have to put this in the negatives, the drink 'Raki' is given freely quite often after a meal.
From Heraklion Airport it's quite a long transfer.

Positives (lots of):-
---------------------
The experience you have at The Camari Gardens depends on the type of holiday you've planned. If you want a relaxing holiday by the pool with a dip in the sea for a bit of snorkelling, and quite happy to eat at the same on-site restuarant with the possibility of a small walk up the 'slight incline of a hill' to another restaurant then this is the place for you.
If you want a relaxing base, and have hired a car for days out, then this is the place for you. If you are going to hire a car, there's plenty of parking next to the hotel and the main road for access to the island is just at the bottom of the hill.

Complex.
Restaurant is excellent and prices are reasonable (not hiked up because you're in the middle of nowhere), they do specials every now and then, and will even cook to requests.
To say the staff are helpful and friendly would do them injustice, they bend over backwards to ensure you have a nice stay, e.g. the MotoGP was on TV while I was there and they borrowed a satellite box from a friend when the racing was on and made sure I didn't miss it, priceless.
Reviews have mentioned the traffic noise at night, our apartment was second closest to the main road and we didin't hear a thing (honestly).
There's air-conditioning, but this is five-euros per night, also worth having.
Maybe it was a freak two weeks (mid' Aug'13), but no mosquitos at all, very weird.
Two decent-sized freshwater pools, which is good if one get's taken over by kids.
Plenty of sunbeds, no need for towel reservations here.
Rooms spacious and clean, albeit basic (but you're not holidaying in your room are you?).
Pool room, games room, free WiFi, free-to-use books.
There is a decent-sized on-site shop under the complex for self-catering food/drink and leisure items (inflatables, playing cards, hats etc).
The bar stayed open until the last person left, but they would close all the windows and ensure no noise would leak to unrest the sleeping occupants.
Didn't see one cockroach.
Swimming pools are always clean.
Inflatables are allowed in the pool.

Gerani Village (top of the hill).
Not much here, couple of small shops, one decent restaurant (Staras) and a couple of cafes.
A traditional Greek restaurant called Staras is very nice, which doubles as a museum & museum shop, the old house used to be used for Raki production. Food and service at Staras is very good.
There is bakery here which is also excellent, just as you enter Gerani on the left before Staras restaurant.

Cove.
Although the cove is down a steepish hill, and is gravel rather than sand, the sea here is protected by sea walls and is a safe place for children to swim and snorkel (plenty of colourful fish to see).
There is a fresh water shower here to wash the salt off.
There is a restaurant here (but I would avoid if I were you).
There is some shade (cliffs) at the heat of the day if required.

Will I go back to this complex, YES !
Not immediately though, as there are so many other places I want to see, but if you haven't been and the above sounds reasonable, then YES definitely book it, you won't be dissappointed !

Room Tip: Room-129 was OK, sea view, away from noise yet close to pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ukabroad2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerani
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
#4 of 11 in Agii Apostoli
Folia Apartments
Folia Apartments
#1 of 31 in Agia Marina

Been to Camari Garden Apartments? Share your experiences!