“Keeps getting better”

Camari Garden Apartments
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gerani
“Keeps getting better”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have now been here 5 or 6 times and each time is better than the last. There are so many people who return many times that I always bump into people I've seen before and even though I travel alone I always make new friends, many of which I stay in touch with.

The family who own the hotel are amazing, working incrediby long hours but always have time to chat, help, make sure you're having fun and remember your name.

The rooms are always clean and if the cleaners come before you are ready for them, they come back later so you don't miss out on your clean. The sheets and towels are changed every other day. Any problems are remedied as soon as possible after you report them, as somone else wrote in their review, if you don't report it, how can they sort it for you?

Angela in reception has details of trips, knows the local area well so can recommend places to visit and sometimes ventures into the kitchen to cook "specials" which I am assured are lovely but as I am vegetarian I haven't tried any.

The food in the restaurant is wonderful and always tastes great. They are happy to make amendments to the dishes if you ask and the prices are very reasonable.

The atmosphere in the bar in the evening is very friendly and I often decide to have an early night but get talking and laughing and stay a lot later than I planned!

There are always enough sunbeds around the two pools and umbrellas and shady areas if it gets too hot.

There is a supermarket on site, buses from outside the hotel several times a day and buses to Rethymno and Chania from the road at the bottom of the hill every hour.

I have stayed both with and without a car and have had great holidays either way. There is plenty of parking if you do hire a car and Angela can contact a hire company if you decide to hire one when you get there.

All in all I would say go to Camari Gardens and have a great holiday, see you there some time as I am already planning my next trip!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Claire B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The raves about this hotel are justified, it really is a a very good hotel. Very clean inside the rooms and outside around the pools. We had a studio room which was huge, and a lovely view over the square pool and the sea to the left, with gorgeous greek villas on the otherside of the gorge...where goats are regular frequenters! The aircon is extra, something we didn't know initially and costs 5E a day, very much needed in 36'C heat!! The food in the restaurant is good, however my boyfriend and I are too adventurous to eat at the same place each night, even though travelling into Rethymnon daily did become slightly costly. In hindsight we would have hired a car for the majority of our 2 week duration. Cooking in the apartment was a bit of a chore, due to the basic cutlery/cookware provided, but for a 2* it would be unfair to expect much more. A kettle and grill would have been nice. The supermarket is very close and cheap but could have done with more fresh fruit and veg but this is personal taste, it has a lot of breakfast items, fresh bread daily, and snack food. Overall the service is very good, the atmosphere is lovely, the staff and their family use the facilities and it was nice to see everyone being chilled and having fun!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sammybean91
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in June 2012. We loved the location, we were looking for a quiet relaxing break, so we were happy not to be in the middle of a busy resort. Rethymnon town is just a bus or taxi ride away if you want it. We took the bus and used the taxi service a couple of times to Rethymnon. There are a wide range of restaurants and bars and it's pretty good for shopping.

The Camari Gardens accommodation is excellent, compared to many I have stayed in in Greece. Really spacious and well equipped. We were in the older block and will request a newer apartment at the front, simply for a different view next time, the sea view is pretty stunning. It's a great friendly, family run place and we fully intend to go back - as did many other of the guests we got to know during our weeks stay. We will hire a car next time for more exploring. For a quiet, relaxing week away from it all, Camari Gardens is perfect.

Room Tip: The new block, not ground floor, appear to have the best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank suzib_100
Belfast
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Camari just gets better and better. Spotless accommodation. A wonderful family run establishment. Where else do you get daily cleaning (except Sunday ) clean towels and bed linen every third day. A restaurant with high quality food which costs so little. The whole family work very hard at ensuring all guests have a great time.
Can't wait for next year!

Marion & George Chambers

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Camari
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We have recently returned from a weeks family holiday here and started looking at flights etc to go back after just 1 day. Great value apartments that are spotlessly cleaned throughout the week by a great team of cleaners. The beds are really comfortable and the studio and apartment rooms are of a good size. Great views from the balcony of across the sea. The apartments are ran by a great family whose sole aim is to ensure you have a really great holiday. Nothing is ever too much trouble for Angela and her family. The 2 pools were cleaned daily and were never too busy or noisy. There are enough sun beds for everyone and a great shaded area to sit under when the sun got too hot. The food was very enjoyable and very reasonably priced with plenty of choice. The supermarket was also reasonably priced - in fact the alcohol was actually cheaper than the duty free at the airport. The tarverna up in the village also served lovely food and is worth a visit during your stay. My parents have also been to these apartments and I completely understand why they kept going back - we shall definately be doing exactly that too. I really can't think of anywhere else I would rather go. There are buses etc to explore the area but it easier if you have a car. You soon adapt to driving in the area.
I CAN HONESTLY RECOMMEND THESE APARTMENTS TO ANYONE who wants a relaxing holiday whether you're travelling as a family, on your own or as part of a couple. Try it for yourself and you will see just what I mean.

Room Tip: The newer block have the best sea views (avoiding those on the ground floor - good if you like some...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 2504K
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have just returned from my first visit to this wonderful apartments, somewhere my father and late mother had visited for 15 years. I wanted to visit to try and understand what made them return. Angela welcomed me like a long lost member of the family and arranged food for our party of 6 to have food even though it was nearly midnight and within 20 minutes fresh cooked pizzas arrived for all.
The number of returning visitors to the Camari gardens is unbelievable and everyone seems to know everyone.
George, Niko, Manoli and Michael provide great entertainment and service in the bar/ restaurant helped create a fantastic party atmosphere of an evening.
Food is excellently priced with large portions cooked from fresh daily. Look out for the occasional time Angela ventures into the kitchen, it is well worth the wait. Her slow roasted chicken and lemon potatoes were to die for.
The rooms were large clean and well maintained. Outside the pool areas were immaculate pools never crowded and sunbeds were plentiful.
Camari Gardens is a great place for a group or a single traveller and if you get chatting to one of the "regular visitors" expect to be invited on trips around the island (better than a tour guide Thanks Claire).
A car is a must as the hotel is a little remote but 20 minutes towards Georgeopolis is Lake Kounos and is a must see place to visit for the day with pedalos and canoes available to hire and free sunbeds in front of the tavernas.
Already seeing if I can get back before the end of the season

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sean2103
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently spent 2 weeks at the Camari Gardens and werent disappointed. This was the first time we had ever stayed at a 2 star place but the reviews were all good and it was almost a last minute thing so we went for it. I have to say Im really glad we did, we had a fantastic time. I have to confess we didnt spent a lot of time there during the day as there is so much to do and see in Crete that we were always out and about. However, we always promised the kids (4 and 5) that they could have a swim once we got back and even tho our holiday was over the May half term it was never crowed. The pools were very clean and the room spotless. The only thing that let it down a little were the self catering facilitiles in the room. There was one hob and a teeny tiny ring that you couldnt really cook anything on. If a kettle had been provided it would have been perfect but other than that, couldnt fault it. The staff were fantastic. So friendly and helpful, couldnt do enough for you. Angela on reception even let me use their washing machine a couple of times which is down in the basement. "If its free, use it." She told me, and I did! Fab! There are safety deposit box facilities at a resonable fee and air con if you want it. We lasted a couple of days without it and then relented! Well worth it. Food in the taverna was good and v handy if the kids were too tired to drag out into town. We also had several entertaining nights sat on our balcony (which overlooked the pool) watching some English women who had obviously had a few too many ouzos challenge some locals to a game of darts. When they lost they were thrown unceremoniously into the pool fully clothed. We didnt even have to pay for the entertainment! Marvellous. Having said that, even tho our balcony overlooked both the pool and the taverna it wasnt noisy once the doors were shut so we werent disturbed.

Good value for money, great service and very clean. You will need a car though as it is remote but no problem with parking.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sam T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerani
Folia Apartments
Kastro Beach Apartments
Avli Lounge Apartments
Avli Lounge Apartments
#2 of 165 in Rethymnon

Been to Camari Garden Apartments? Share your experiences!