“clean room, kind service”
Review of Villa Gabriella

Villa Gabriella
Ranked #10 of 20 Lido di Venezia B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I strongly recommend to travellers who are planning to go to Venice to stay in peaceful Lido Island. It is only 15 minutes boat trip to San Marco. Villa Gabriella is a good choice for your staying in Lido. Ten minutes to boat station by walking and only few meters away from sandy beach of Lido.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ahmet M

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This villa is located on the Lido island, which is about 20-30 min by public transport (boat) from Venice. And then its about 10-15 min walk from the boat stop or 2min by taxi (6 EU) But im so glad we didnt stay in the city! Its right on the beach of Adriatic sea, we had a breathtaking view from the patio, which was on the roof. We had a 2 bedroom condo with nice front yard in a gated community and including breakfast every morning just for 107$ a night! (it was i July,2011) . It felt so cozy,just like at home. On the Lido island there are a lot of nice restaurants and shops (5-10 min walk from the villa,but you need to ask about shortcut ;) Owners are very nice and hospitable! It was the best stay in our Eurotrip 2011!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Liubov777
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Had a very pleasant stay here, the building was quite beautiful with marble floors and staircases and a lovely balcony area for breakfast. The host was friendly and the location was in a nice quiet part of town. We recommend a stay at the island Lido as it is only a short hop by boat to all the sights but it is not as frantic as Venice town. I would have no hesitation is recommending this establishment.

Room Tip: Do get a boat travelcard for great value travel and visit the islands Murano and Durano (?) Also do...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed on the Lido island because it was cheaper than staying in Venice itself. The boat ride over was about 20 minutes, so it was fine. We were only in Venice for two nights, which meant only one full day, so if I were to do it again, I'd stay in Venice proper . If I were going to stay a week, Lido would be great. It was a short walk to a lovely beach on the Adriatic sea, and we had some of the best gelato in Italy at a little place in the town center there.
On the flip side, the villa was adequate. The pictures showed a small rooftop balcony, so we had visions of breakfast with a view. Not happening. The balcony was extremely small, up a narrow staircase and it was not open during breakfast. So much for that. Our room in this old house was spacious and clean. It had beamed ceilings and was done in blues. Our only complaint was that we had more of a porthole than a window - it was too high to see out of, and too small for decent ventilation (and it was hot and humid that week).
The bathroom shower stall was very small, but the water was adequate. There was a washing machine in the bathroom, but we didn't use it. The bed was comfortable and clean. The owner was very nice, and tried hard to make our breakfast nice as well. Breakfast was in the living area of the house, and was a standard continental breakfast. He had classical music playing and served us right away.
I would stay here again, if I was spending more time in the area. Otherwise, for convenience sake, I would stay right in Venice and spend less time on the boat. Good value for the money.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nettskee
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My wife and me were looking for a Bed&Breakfast in the Lido of Venice to attend a nearby conference in late May 2011. Breakfast was important because the conference started early in the morning, so we booked 5 nights in Villa Gabriella,. It is part of a large mansion owned by various persons.
We got there from the airport around 8:45 pm. The gate to the garden in front of the house was closed so we rang the doorbell to Villa Gabriella. We were surprised that no one answered, so we tried to call the neighbours or the guests to assist us trying to get in contact with the owners of Villa Gabriella. Some guests came and rang the bell of the owner’s apartment inside the mansion, also without luck. Seemed that they were not inside. The guests then opened the garden gate and the door to the building so we could wait for the owners to come back. So we went into a staircase well that had doors to the owner’s apartment and the guests rooms/apartments. We again rang the doorbell without success, so we waited. We were afraid, in the worst-case scenario, to have to spend the night outside. We were hungry, so i went out to buy something to eat while my wife waited there. All this situation could well be only an odd story if it wasn’t for the following events…
When I returned, my wife has already met the owner. She heard steps inside his apartment and rang again. The owner, Stefano Calandra, was very displeased that she was in the stairwell and treated her like an intruder to his house. When my wife explained that we had a booking he didn´t care to look at the booking papers and angrily told her that we didn´t contact him to say the hour of our arrival. On the booking site it said nothing about having to communicate the hour of arrival; the site clearly stated that check-in was allowed until 11 pm, and we largely respected that. We later discovered, through Mrs Alessandra, his wife, that they had rented our B&B room to somebody else. Mr. Stefano then led my wife to an apartment outside the main house, gave her the key and, without further explanations, told her to leave the key on his mailbox when we check out in the last day. Obviously, my wife felt like an unwelcome guest.
In the following morning we rang the doorbell at the main house gate to ask for the breakfast. No answer. We then called Mr. Stefano on the phone to ask for it. His arrogant answer was that we where put in a “luxurious apartment” with kitchen so we didn´t had the right to the breakfast. We were appalled by his answer. Since there was no place to eat breakfast nearby, we lost some time looking for one and missed part of the conference.
On those hot days we also found out that the so-called “luxurious apartment” had a broken air conditioner, which made it an unpleasant place to stay. In our case it was not very important but the “luxurious apartment” also had no microwaves, no oven, the tiny TV had only Italian channels and the TV controller had no batteries. Cleaning was also not done one single time. We even nearly ran out of toilet paper.
On the day before our departure, Mr Stefano´s wife, Mrs Alessandra, which is a very nice and sensible person, came to the apartment to ask if all was ok and said that Mr. Stefano felt he was “impolite” with my wife. I suggested that, if it was so, he should be the one apologizing, not her. Admirably, she immediately called him on the phone and said just that… but he never dared to show up.
In the morning before check-out, Mrs Alessandra visited us, and once again she was sorry for all that happened. Before we actually left the apartment we noticed a paper note from Mrs Alessandra saying that they were willing to give us back half of the money and was asking that we send an e-mail with our IBAN. We were surprised, but it was short-lived.
A few days later, we sent that e-mail to Villa Gabriella.
Mr. Stefano received the e-mail and responded (the spelling errors are his): “My wife Alessandra told you this, but I don't agree. You had our best hospitality was possible at a ridicoulous price. With that price you would have a double bed room in the joung hostel....”
Best hospitality? He thinks that the so-called “luxurious apartment” compensates for the rude treatment he gave us.
Ridiculous price? We paid the price on the booking site in advance, no more, no less. Its not our fault that he later decided to rent our room to someone else. Also, in that process, we lost the right to the breakfast, which was important for us.
Our advice to travellers is to avoid Villa Gabriella altogether.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
21  Thank Neph36
Villagabriella, Proprietario at Villa Gabriella, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Dear Sir,

Villa Gabriella B&B is all our life: but It is also my home we share in part with our kind guests since 1999 and It is not an hotel with reception.
Maybe you needed a 5 stars hotel with a valet service, € 550/day, not a double room at 79 € in a simple B&B. All good reviews of educated persons Villa Gabriella have on trip advisor are very good.

Education and respect: your arrival time.
If I should go to your house from abroad at a certain date I think I will provide to contact you almost once to inform about my arrival time: it means education and respect to you.
95% of our guests usually do it, because it is written to contact us before arrival to let us know arrival time:
-on all sites (villa Gabriella is working since 1999...)
-on our email we usually send to our guests;
-we provide to tell this to our guests when usually they contact us some day before to inform about their arrival....This simple kind of education is a form of respect that you miss completely, claiming to have reason.
If my guests don't respect my house, I maybe can't respect my guests, I am very sorry. The money is not all!!!

We offered to you a better accommodation at the same price.
As we were without any communication in arrival (I thought about a "no-show", as usually happens in these situations), I gave to my father in visiting us the double room of these guests: so, then I provided for you a better and luxurious apartment, (daily price € 140/day) instead your double standard room (€ 79/day): for me it was a pleasure you had a better accommodation at the same price!
In the apartments cleaning an breakfast is not included, but our kind guests can ask for it! And for batteries in the remote TV control could be changed and toilet paper provided if only you would inform me about it during your stay....
No microwave, no oven? Neither in the b&b room you booked is promised! But we usually we give a microwave if our guests ask for it, but you didn't ask us during all your stay.....

The promise to give us back half of the money
This was my idea, because I was unhappy for your behavior with my wife and because I know the importance has the money for you......
But I changed of idea, because I provided for you a very very nice accommodation (luxurious apartment with kitchen and terrace with sea viewand sun-umbrella to enjoy your meals viewing the front sea instead of your booked B&B standard room!). And because I preferred not to "buy your silence" about this strange experience and I wanted to see until where you wanted to get with Trip Advisor.... And let's it!
I now "payed my bill" with this unappropriate review: you are moved by the money back missed, the lack of which has blinded you, as I supposed...!

I hope you can understand that your review is not appropriated.

Best regards

Stefano- Villa Gabriella

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here; a short walk to the main boat station and 2 minutes from the beach! Excellent service and a lovely atmosphere, we would definitely return.
We would advise that if arriving in the evening to be aware of the multiple doorbells on the main gate- it is clearly labelled however we still managed to get it wrong in the dark!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Villagabriella, Proprietario at Villa Gabriella, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for your nice review!
Sorry for my English is not very good!
Alessandra and I are very happy to have you had as guests at Villa Gabriella!

Villa Gabriella is a building of historical importance: it is registered for the historical assets of the State Superintendent italian

This means that many aspects of architecture are those of the past and you can not alter the decoration of the facade. This speech also includes the bells is the guest on arrival at the gate of Villa Gabriella.
The building is in fact inhabited by other families and an office for which the bells are 7 and the right one is "Villa-Gabriella Calandra." When the guest comes first, especially in the evening, sometimes does not fully understand why they do not have the bells light, always the problem of not "technological adaptation" due to the inability to alter some parts of the facade. Moreover, they are still in bronze, with a black background in writing, as it was in the 20 th century when the villa was built.

Many other interesting historical and architectural aspects you will know when you will return to Villa Gabriella back through the atmosphere of the early century Liberty Lido of Venice!

Come back, you there!

Thanks again and if you come back you are welcome.

Alessandra & Stephen & Catherine & Matilda.

Reviewed June 17, 2011

I have spent 3 days&nights in one of the VillaGabirella's apartments. The normal 2b rooms were already booked, so we had to book the apartment. Before coming to Venice, we were a bit upset that we had to pay more for the apartment which can fit up to 5 people while being only 2, but both me and my wife we were both surprised that the apartment is much better than could be expected and much better than on the photos.
It's absolutely not like those small-roomed hotels in Venice. It's a large apartment, with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large beautiful fully equipped kitchen and 2 nice terraces with great view. It's 25 meters from the nice beach and there is a beautiful garden with mini-lake with turtles and fishes as well.
The area is very very silent.
The fully equipped kitchen also allows you to cook exotic seafood bought from Rialto Merketo on the nice terrace with sea-view, instead of wasting money for worse food in the crowded restaurants.
The owners are very nice too. They are very polite and helpful.
The only thing which was not perfect, is that there was some dust in some places, but this is really the last challenge for the apartment to become ideal :)
We enjoyed our stay very much.
Definitely going to come again soon.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Kirill, thank you for your nice review!
Sorry for my English is not very good!
Alessandra and I are very happy to have you had as guests at Villa Gabriella and we are glad that you enjoyed the apartment.
It is not easy to manage the apartment: they are very large and are not easy to clean and check every corner. Sometimes it happens that in a bedroom our housekeeper found rests of previous guests of eating in bed or even that there is much to be cleaned after departure. For this reason sometimes it happens that these apartments, although they are beautiful, spacious and luxurious in need of a "further development" after the host and that's why we ask you to have if we can do something to improve your stay, if all goes well in the apartment etc.. etc..
Any suggestions or your reporting, especially during the stay is always useful and welcome!
Thanks again and if you come back you are welcome.

Alessandra & Stephen & Catherine & Matilda.