“December in Venice”
Review of Le Boulevard Hotel

Le Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Booked a brilliant deal with Broadway travel through Travelzoo. So cheap we didnt expect much from the hotel. Arrived to be told they had no booking for us (nor for the other 2 parties who arrived at the same time). Got sorted quite quickly. I had read reviews on the hotel and asked for a quiet room that wasnt too small. Got a noisey room that was like a match box but the bathroom was nice. The manager told us he gets 6 paparazzi in it during the film festival week though we could not work out how! It didnt matter because the location to the water boats was good and that's all we needed to get over to the main Island (20 mins trip).The room had a mini fridge and tv so it was ok. No kettle though so you may wish to take your own. Beds and pillows quite hard but that seems to be the way in Italy? Supermarket next door for milk, water, wine etc

Venice is beautiful and we loved every minute. Food in restaurants is dreadful and expensive so dont go expecting fine dining. Our first night out we fancied real Italian pasta...it came microwaved from frozen and cost a small fortune! This is not unusual.

Staff are rather matter of a fact but they do the job. I believe the hotel gets very busy in Summer and at film festival time so I dont think we would visit then.

Breakfast was fine....plenty and nice and not many other guests.

Lido island itself has nothing special in the winter so all time will be spent on the other islands - there are no canals nor Venetian beauty to it. It is a seaside resort in the summer for Italians so will get busy. Eating places are open but not very good. Likewise the shops.

Plenty to do in Venice - highlights are island hopping (water boats are so easy to use and very frequent) and wandering around Venice itself. Murano, Burano and Torcello can all easily be done in one day and are lovely. Avoid buying "cheap" Murano glass ware...no such thing, they are Chinese imports! (Buy a travel card for 72 hours usually lasts for 4 day stay) for 33E as soon as you start using them. On sale everywhere. This will get you anywhere you want.

If you are into books and history....try a visit to the Armenian monestry which is on its own beautiful island - catch the Boat number 20 mid afternoon and a guide will meet you and take you around for about 6E. Tour lasts about 90 mins then they see you back again. Some fascinating history, objects and manuscripts. Very easy to do and you dont have to book in advance. There were only 6 on our trip so it was lovely and personal. Guide speaks all languages.

Rialto market early every morning is great for fresh fruit and produce and the eating places are a bit cheaper round there.

Toilets are expensive everywhere (even on remote islands) - nearly £1.50 a go unless you are in a cafe. No free ones that we could find!

Easy to get to Lido from Trevisso....bus outside airport then water bus. Everyone else seemed to be doing the same thing so follow the crowd. This bus is extra to the 33E and is about 9E each way....save a bit by buying a return. Check times back...this bus is not as frequent as water buses. The bus service is run to meet the Ryan air flights to/from Trevisso so all the staff know what is going on.

The Doge's palace is worth the entry fee. St Marks is free to see the main bit but will cost to see the interesting parts as you go along. The best plan is to just get lost and enjoy wandering around the many beautiful streets and canals.

We will be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank shekel

Reviewed December 11, 2011

My mother and I did a 3 city tour of Italy and this was the nicest hotel of the 3. Keep in mind that this hotel is NOT on the main Venice island but on Lido. This can be good and bad. Bad because it felt like alot of our days were spent on the waterbus rather than actually being at the sites. Good because you get a completely different perspective....the main Venice island feels like mainly gobs of tourists. Lido is where the locals live. So it is more relaxed and no real crowds. (Although I understand Lido is the place to be in the summer because of the beach on the opposite side of the island as the hotel). Anyhow, regarding this hotel...rooms were small but nice, breakfast was great-many choices, hotel was tidy, centrally located on Lido - within 2-3 blocks of the waterbus station and in the middle of all of the restaurants and shops. Staff was so-so. One of the guys was very nice, the others did not pay us much attention.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank chase11mckmck
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My reservation was for a Monday and Tuesday night in late October. (off-season) I was offered a very reasonable price at Le Boulevard. 4 stars. When I arrived, I was told that my room had water damaged and was no longer available. I said no problem, I will take another room. I was told there were no rooms available at the hotel and smoothly said they would be happy to set me up at a sister hotel. I found this all suspicious. Then I asked, how much would I be compensated? they responded nothing, despite the next hotel not being in the same star class. They didnt arrange any travel for me to go to the next hotel or make anything more convenient for me as a backpacker. Thinking something was up at the next hotel I checked the website to see if I could make a reservation at Le Boulevard. Sure enough, there were several rooms available including the very specifics of the room I booked. Booking.com was also still advertising rooms at the hotel for that very night. I took pictures of all this and wrote to them about the situation. The Hotel responded to be over a day later only saying that it was a system flaw- a convenient response in light of everything thats happened.

What I believe is taking place is that they are playing with reservations in their chain to maximize profits as they speculate which hotels have more availability that night. A clear 'bait and switch' attracting reservations which the affordable price for a 4 star then passing the reservations off to other hotels in the chain for the evening. I met a couple at a restaurant who had the same type of thing happen to them, though the excuse was not water damage but rather they have indication of reservation but not confirmation, but they will be set up elsewhere. Fraud in short.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank chris j
Reviewed November 9, 2011

On the Island of Lido, Italy.
This hotel is lovely looking from the outside, the inside lobby area, dining area etc.
This hotel is ideal to stay in because it has a great location AWAY from those horrific Venice crowds and it is a pleasant boat ride back to the main attractions at Venice.
HOTEL ROOMS : These are small and somewhat stuffy. We arrived in November 2011, with fairly coolish temperatures outside. The heating was way too high in the hotel, and we had to resort to opening the windows at night to have some air circulation as the air conditioning unit made a terrible noise. In fact, I don't know if the "cooling" part of the air conditioning worked.
When one opens the windows, the noise from the outside comes straight into the room - this isn't too bad during the day, but at night it does disturb sleep. Otherwise it was clean and quiet.
BATHROOM : Clean and neat and a full sized bath in our room which was pleasant - though we did not use it. The bathroom window is a trap! Our room had a bathroom window which actually fell right out of its frame when I tried to open it. I let the hotel know about this. Beware travellers!
BREAKFAST : Typical European breakfast of cereal, cheese, cold meat/salami and pastries. The breakfast room is quite ornate and mirrored. The heating is again, way too high to enjoy it for too long.

OK, here's where I have to air my grievance a bit. The receptionists were all very helpful if a little reserved, but this is extremely professional. However, when we asked the gentleman at the reception which boat we could take to Murano to the glass factory he told us the following:
a) He would arrange to have one of his colleagues take us down to the boat jetty to have a special boat take us there for free.
b) And then we would have a boat trip back to Venice.
What ACTUALLY happens is this:-
Yes, the boat is a free ride to the factory. But nothing is free in this world...
The alleged "glass factory" is not what you think it is. According to a local of 45 years, this Murano glass factory is just a selling tool to get you to buy from them. You arrive and you are ushered into a demonstration room where three glass blowers are making some ornamental trinkets. Then afterwards, you are guided through the various show rooms and encouraged to buy. The salesman does not stop showing you things and offering you "special prices" for your visit. A note here : an aquarium type piece featuring fish, bubbles etc was priced there at E4,500 (Yes, four thousand five hundred Euros). He offered a few hundred off at a special price. The SAME one is found on Lido at E1,500.
Now once you buy you are hurried out of the showrooms to make room for the next customer - it's not a subtle gesture either. It's "ok, go now. I get boat" type of thing. We waited for a boat to take us back to Venice as promised (in the rain and wind, alone on the jetty). Finally, I went back inside and hung around trying to get someone's attention. Finally, it was the boat driver who patently ignored us 25 minutes previously when arriving on the jetty saying "no no I don't know who" (he didn't want to take us back - he went inside and had coffee and a gossip with his mates instead).
This is hard, hard sell and unless you are a determined shopper who never falls for this type of scam, do NOT go there. I found earrings for myself at a "special" price and was hugely disappointed to find the same ones at 1/3 of the price at Venice. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
As we spent several days in Lido we got to know a few of the shop keepers around and they were very happy to tell us that the Hotels take a "cut" of the sold goods on the Murano island "factory". They say it is a shop only, as the real glass factories are absolutely out of bounds to tourists and the public (which makes perfect sense, when one considers workplace health and safety laws).
I am not sure on this, but I heard it several times, so I can only pass on what I know and say BEWARE.
On a more positive note, the Hotel is right in the hub of Lido. It's a ten minute walk to a laundromat (where the soap and softener is automatically added to the washers)!! A walk further will take you to the beach. Next door to Hotel is a Billa market for food etc and there are loads of little bars or restaurants around.
Another tip. Try not to buy Venice jewellery. It is overpriced and is aimed squarely at tourists who have no sense when on holidays. Everything is overpriced. Everything!! So go and enjoy your sights but keep the jewellery buying to somewhere off the beaten tourist track. If you do want to buy some gold or silver from Italy, then I recommend the only jeweller in Lido who has somewhat different pieces and has reasonable prices.
Would I stay on Lido again instead of Venice? Definitely yes. Not in high summer though. The crowds would be a huge put off. Would I stay in Le Boulevard Hotel again? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. Maybe not. I'd have to see what else was around before choosing this place again. It's the noise and the air-conditioning and the sleight of hand with the Murano Glass "Factory" which put me off. My rating on rooms and sleep quality are down because of the stuffiness etc.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a window and which opens anywhere but over the street. Noisy drunken tourist...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LeChatGris11
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed at Le Boulevard for 3 nights and enjoyed being in Lido instead of Venice. It was much quieter and more relaxing. The hotel location is great; only a short walk to the vaporetto station so we could come and go as we pleased. The hotel is also a short walk from the beach which is quite beautiful. From the outside, this hotel definitely looks like a 4 star hotel. On the inside we were quite surprised by how old and run down the main areas and hallways look. The room was ok. We had a two twin beds. Just be aware that if your partner is a big guy, over 200 pounds, he might not fit very well in a twin bed. ;-) Breakfast was excellent. We spent 2 weeks in Italy, in various cities, and this was by far the most substantial breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, fruit, croissants etc. There was a supermarket beside our hotel which was convenient for picking up snacks, water, and other supplies. There are some nice restaurants in Lido but quite expensive. We found a very cheap, and great Chinese restaurant just around the corner. It was a nice break from the pastas and pizzas.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We have just come back from a three night stay at this hotel. I am a single parent with two children 11 and 14. Great location and next door to a supermarket which was useful for supplies. Only a few minutes walk to vaporetto and we enjoyed the journey into Venice central. I would have preferred to stay in the centre of Venice but by the time I booked there was not much availability so this seemed like the next best thing. Hotel was old fashioned in a good sense, I found the receptionists very polite and helpful speaking excellent English. The room was smallish but extremely clean and comfortable and I had no problems with the daily servicing. Only downside was that due to location near the supermaket there was some noise with deliveries starting shortly after six am, this did not wake the kids but I am a light sleeper so I woke up quite early which could be viewed as an advantage in any case. Breakfast was fine with lots of different types of food to choose from. Not a luxury hotel but I was not expecting that from the price I paid. A good choice for a mid range hotel close to Venice. I would have given it a five star if it were not for the noise from the supermarket. I would definately stay here again so thanks everyone!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank hardworkingsinglemum
Reviewed October 23, 2011

The picture of the hotel promised much and we were prepared to be open minded notwithstanding some of the reviews we had read.
On arrival at 1.20pm we were met with a strict "room only available at 2.00pm" less than friendly response which just about summed up all our dealings with reception !
The best that could be said about the room we had was that it was clean and functional albeit on the small side.

The only meal provided was breakfast which at best was passable although not enjoyable. There were constant requests for replacement of food which went unheeded by the waiters who were surly and seemed to do as little as possible to get by.

Beware the new "tourist tax" which we and other travellers were asked to pay on departure. Will be taking up with our travel agent.

Room Tip: The one we had was near the street and you could hear every passing vehicle hitting a loose grid on...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple