“Lovely Relaxing Week”

Hotel La Pergola di Venezia
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed here for a week, April into May. Lovely hotel! The owner, Edoardo and his staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were given great recommendations for day-trips and superb restaurants to visit. Beautiful beach a few minutes walk away with the Blue Moon serving great food right on the beach.
Great care was given to the cleaning of the room, it was spotless each evening.
Very reasonable rates and it's only 10 mins on the water-bus from St Mark's Square and all the attractions of Venezia
Thank you so much Edoardo for your hospitality, we'll be back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Boondocks13

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at La Pergola for the last 3 days of April 2012. The hotel is reasonably priced for Venice being on the Lido and is clean and welcoming. We had slight problems in making the receptionist understand the issues we had with our room. This was as much our fault as we speak little Italian...she was lovely and friendly and did all she could be expected to do. The air con in the room only worked for about 2 hours on the 2nd night on probably the warmest weekend of the year so far in Venice so we slept poorly. The room itself was very small which the owner later apologized for but the shower room was very good (it was really a largish single room with 2 single beds squashed in!). The most worrying bit was that the fridge was not working as a fridge, it was a heater! It got so hot on our first night that I unplugged it. The next morning I told the receptionist but she obviously misunderstood (prob thought I didn't know my caldo from fredo) and when the room was cleaned the fridge was plugged back in. When we came back that evening (with no air con) it was too hot to touch and the room unbearable so we had the window wide open...and mozzies! All this could have been avoided if the owner had been available to speak to...he was away for the weekend.
However that lot aside we enjoyed staying on Venice Lido and will do so again next time we go. Its very different from Venice but still has some canals and some beautiful houses and you can find some quite rural and wild bits if you get the bikes out (La Pergola has some to rent out) and go far enough along the island. The roads are pretty quiet off the main drag and it is possible to go to Chioggia at the south end of Venice lagoon. Getting to and from Venice is really easy on the ferries and there is a direct link to the airport as well (its expensive though). We did what we always do and bought a 3 day ACTV pass which enables you to use the ferries and buses and is also by far the cheapest way to get to and from the airport.
We actually found eating out pretty expensive this time (we have not been for about 5 years) and will try to self cater next time. It won't stop us going though as Venice still fab and if you go to the right places at the right time you can be all on your own - try Arsenale/Giardini area and the Dorsoduoro.

Room Tip: Pay more!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chasaroodle
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I took a group of ten adult history of Art students to La Pergola in April 2012. Edoardo the owner could not have been more helpful. His staff were also pleasant helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble for them.The rooms were of excellent size and cleanliness, tidied every day and linen changed every three days. Compared to what is available for the same prices over in Venice which is only ten minutes away the price was very good indeed. As for other complaints I have read, the girls helping out at breakfast were only too willing to make anyone who asked a real espresso or cappuccino. Guests could even boil their own egg in a dinky little gadget in the garden. I will definitely take groups to this hotel in the future

Room Tip: The big ground floor room is nicest
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter M
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My partner and I stayed one night in the hotel in later September 2011. We arrived in Venice one day early and therefore needed to book accommodation for one night. We booked the Pergola at the airport and paid a 20 Euro deposit with 80 Euros to pay on arrival.

The Pergola is based on the Lido Island, probably about a 10-15 minute walk from the Vaporetto stop. It is based down a side street so single females should be careful although the Lido seemed generally safe. We decided to stay on the Lido as it is cheaper than the main Island and it's very easy to get over to St. Marks square and other attractions on the Vaporetto. There are a number of reasonable restaurants near the Pergola.

When we arrived we found the lady on reception spoke very limited English and was insisting (very rudely) on the full amount (100 Euros) which we had no intention of paying. After 20 minutes of arguing and after she had telephoned the booking office at the airport she eventually accepted the 80 Euros.

Our room was very clean and the hotel looked as if it had been renovated recently. My only criticism on the room however was there was no shower, only a large bath.

Breakfast was included in the price although was very basic. It consisted of pastries, tea/coffee, fruit juice (from concentrate) and fruit. The pastries were very dry and the fruit looked as if it had been there for a while.

Overall impressions of the hotel were ok but the lady who ran the place seriously needs some lessons in customer service and although I understand the hotel is in Italy if you are going to try and attract international guests which she is she needs a much better level of English.

Watch out for the tourist tax!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Very nice, new, hotel. Situated on the Lido which is a lovely retreat from the never ending tourists in central Venice. Whole place is very clean and owners were helpful. Breakfast was nice and plentiful.

We stayed in a room with a Queen bed which was a little squeeze for two but, ultimately, you get what you book so no complaints there.

I'd happily stay here again of in Venice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nilesheyohyay
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed there in early October for 3 nights and compared to the 6 places we stayed at during our trip to Europe, this place was by far the worst one.

Every other B&B we stayed in had free wifi. Here you have to pay €5 for two days. Even though we told the staff that we wanted it and will pay for it, she waited for us to dig out the money before she even began to take out her pen and paper to give us the password and user name.

We booked a double room with a French bed and were shocked that the bed was barely larger than a single bed (it's known as a super single bed in my country). Perhaps we were ignorant to what a French bed is, but it is appalling that the hotel had the audacity to advertise it as a room suitable for 2 people. The two pillows could not even be placed side-by-side without half of one pillow sticking out.

While they claim to be a hotel, their service was the most lacking among all the places we stayed at. Firstly, they expect you to clear your table after breakfast. I have never stayed at a B&B that asked its customers to do that, let alone a hotel!! In addition, there was a strike on the ACTV water ferries on the day of our arrival. We were told by the owner Eduardo that we could avoid paying for expensive private boats and use an alternative transport called the Alilaguna. He told us that it was just outside the train station (it wasn't and it was in an obscure corner) We were unable to find the stop on the main island and paid for a private boat to Lido. When we asked the staff on duty about the Alilaguna services on Lido island or other transport services, all she could tell us was that there was a strike on the ACTV and she did not know of any other way for us to go to the main island. In fact, we found out that there was minimum guaranteed service during the strike and we could still get to the main island using the ACTV. The staff was totally unhelpful!!

The hotel is not as accessible to the main island as it claims to be. The service to the train station on the main island takes up to 40mins during peak hour and it was always crowded, making the trip to the main island extremely uncomfortable (especially when we had heavy backpacks).

The worst thing was that our room was infested with mosquitoes!!! We easily killed 10 mosquitoes within an hour of being in the room and were badly bitten during our stay there.

I definitely would NOT return to La Pergola and would strongly discourage others from staying there. Even if their prices are competitive, your money is probably better spent on other establishments with more helpful staff, better accessibility, and no mosquitoes!

Room Tip: French beds at this establishment are NOT for two people. So do not be deceived.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank syng
lapergoladivenezia, Proprietario at Hotel La Pergola di Venezia, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

I am truly sorry and disappointed. For the experience described by Syng.
As I always gave my best for my clients.
Certainly when there's strike, there is a strike. It is not easy in five minutes to find the right answer. I am sure they did not understand my instructions.
And I think even now, to have given the right directions. From one who lives in Venice. They must have done something wrong. I am sure that they have found the wrong day to get to Venice. Which is already difficult to move. with the strike even more. And for this they have had a traumatic experience that is poured out on the hotel. They, moreover chose the economy room. But I have many other rooms, big and beautiful. And is not I who advertises this room, but all major portals. If one wants to spend less has this possibility.
I'll try to build on this comment to improve.
I hope to have you again my guest and to give you the best.
Dear Syng. I'm sorry

Reviewed September 17, 2011

The hotel is modern, clean and very close to all amenities, beach and boats to Venice (15-20 min ride). The staff were more than helpful. Alfredo, the owner is a great host!

Room Tip: Book the premium room as the economic room's bed is too small for couples, its more of a single...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple