“my 4th visit”

Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Yorkshire
“my 4th visit”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I love going to stay at the Hotel Helvetia, Venice Lido, as it feels like home from home. The staff are so welcoming to see us back, and we look forward to our next visit. We went to investigate the beach club, where you can pay to go for the day, and although it was closed for the season, we were able to look around, and will definitely have a day there next year. You can get the bus to it from near the Hotel, and if you have a travel card, can use that on the bus. Another nice trip using your travel card, is to Chioggia, which is bus/ferry/vaparetto ride, and where shopping is a lot cheaper than Venice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Valley cottage, ny
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The most disturbing part of the hotel Helvetia is that on my confirmation print out it CLEARLY state that breakfast was included in the rate. However, it became obvious to me that is just false advertisement. The woman that checked us in, along with another fellow refused to uphold its promise. She was rude and condescending using terms like "you people" which made me wonder what exactly is she trying to say. Coincidentally, there was another group of tourist checking in at the same time as my husband and I and they were having the same problem where their confirmation says breakfast was included. It was disturbing to experience this during the check-in process. Even having and showing the printed copy they refused to acknowledge it. It seemed as if they have this issue all the time but since they offer a good rate they expect you to deal with it because you have no other choice. We eventually just had no other choice but to give up. Other than that our stay was pleasant. This hotel is in a really good location. Close to public transportation, the beach, and plenty of shops. The price was very good.

1 Thank Vacalover225
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Unfortunately if a client books a Room Only basis, breakfast is not included.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was just at this hotel with my husband is great location we arrive at the airport like around 7:30pm and by the time the vaperetto left the airport is was like 8:00pm we found the hotel right away great location el lido is great they have great restaurant with reasonable prices the staff at the hotel are great in particular a lady with long blonde hair (can't remember her name) she speaks fluent English and would be able to help you I recommend this hotel 100 percent

• Stayed September 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I have to be careful with this review as when I got back from holiday I wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel and I was threatened with their lawyers if I wrote my opinion on Trip Advisor. But I have decided to take that risk.

We too had the misunderstanding about breakfast at check in. When we booked the hotel there were no reviews on trip advisor that mentioned this. We assumed that when it said "All rates include Breakfast and VAT" on our confirmation email, we would get breakfast. This was not true and naturally we argued our case, as it was clearly stated, only to be treated like we were cheap people trying to get freebies from them. I can say without a doubt I have never been spoken to in such a rude, patronising manor, the whole thing has upset me quite a bit. There was another couple, from America, checking in at the same time, who had exactly the same problem who also argued with the lady. When we asked if we were the first people to ever make this mistake in thinking breakfast was included in this rate she said we were. However, other reviews on trip advisor show me this is not true.

We would have booked the room with or without breakfast as it was a very good price for the location but the way the misunderstanding was dealt with was unacceptable. I asked to speak to the manager and was told he was on holiday. I have now found out from email correspondance with them he was there all along and "watched your theatrical scene from the reception, and did not intervene since he understood that you and your friends were creating the bad performance in front of other clients only to obtain the favours." So he is a manager who refuses to speak to guests with a complaint who are paying in stay in his hotel?

After this episode we felt shunned by all the staff in the hotel, as if they wanted us out as soon as possible, and we felt very helpless about our rights. We didnt want freebies just an appology for the misunderstanding and an explanation. We had saved up for a while for this short trip to celebrate my mums 60th birthday, we just wished we had saved a bit extra and stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Katy E
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Unfortunately if a client books a Room Only arragement, breakfast is not included in the rate. We already stated that a couple of times here.

Travelers are raving about these Lido di Venezia hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Stayed at the Hotel Helvetia, and found the staff really friendly and helpful. On our last morning we had to leave in a hurry for our flight and the staff made us up a little breakfast bag for us to take with us, which was very kind of them.
Bedroom was fine, the bathroom was small, but adequate. Air con was welcome!
Hotel itself has an old feel, something about it feels a little 70s-ish, which I kind of liked, it fits with the Lido 70's film feeling, if you're into that.
Great location, 1 min from the waterbus, right on the street with bars & restaurants.
I'll return, for sure.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a spacious room if booking directly with the hotel. If you don't like the sound of...
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We decided to try a hotel on the Lido this year instead of choosing our regular hotel on the Riva degli Schiavoni in the Castello region of Venice as it was fully booked. Hotel Helvetia was around 20 Euros a night cheaper with no compromise on quality, comfort or friendliness. The location was ideal being on the Lido which is simple to access and within a stone's throw of the valperetto stop taking you directly to St Marks Square, Piazza Roma or Burano. It was also local to a supermarket, numerous bars & restaurants, the hotel's own access to a private beach and also to the public beach which has a bar, cafe and ample seating allowing you to either sunbathe, swim or just sit and enjoy a drink and watch the world go by after a long tiring day in Venice itself. If you have a valperetto ticket you can also take a ride by bus to the part of The Lido where the film festival is held. The continental breakfast offered by the hotel is more than adequate to set you up for the day and you can enjoy a reasonably priced glasss of wine in the hotel garden in the evening (but beware of the mossies!!!) A thoroughly good, clean hotel with friendly staff in an ideal location.

Room Tip: Front view is good but maybe a little noisy. Rear of the hotel is quieter but without the view.
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I most certainly would not recommend this hotel. There is a distinct lack of customer relations. Myself and two friends,all mature ladies, stayed at this hotel at the beginning of September. One morning we found ourselves looked IN our room and had to ring for assistance to be released. After hours spent searching the room for the key to no avail, the only conclusion we could draw was that the key had been left on the outside the night before and persons unknown had taken it. We were duely presented with a bill for 150 euro's, which we had no other option but to pay. The management said if the key came to light they would reimburse us. I have since e-mailed the hotel stating that on advice given on our return, they had no right to charge such an exorbitant amount as we could find no mention of a charge being made for a missing key. Quite frankly the reply I have received beggers believe, I did say I had e-mailed Venice Tourism and would be writing a review on tripadvisor, where incidently I found this hotel, their response, tough and you can tell who you like. Does this sound like damage limitation? It has completely spoilt our Venice experience, In future I will take more notice of any criticism posted on tripadvisor, there certainly was plenty for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ladycaptain2
HelvetiahotelVenezia, Manager at Hotel Helvetia, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
We are very sorry, but in case of damage or key loss the price is Eur 150-. The client paid duly her bill at check out and received regular fiscal invoice.
Best regards