“A quiet island in the ocean of tourists”

Viktoria Palace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Budapest
“A quiet island in the ocean of tourists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

When I looked for a hotel in Venice, I wanted a place that is suitable to have a rest between the days of wandering on streets of Venice. I had to take care of also my car. So the ideal place was Lido (di Venezia). From this point Buon Pesce seemed to be the best: easy to approach with car, with buses, with vaporetto. Before the journey my concerns were (based on the ratings):
- the breakfast (it is not a British breakfast, I agree, but it was delicious and more than sufficient),
- the distance from the vaporetto (it is about 400 from the Laguna Nord line, that goes twice an hour, and about 1 km from line 1, 52, etc., these go very frequently, in fact it was not worth to memorize, and buses start from the hotel six times per hour, I agree, in the nights there may be long waits for the bus)

These problems may have been observed in the past, but now we had nothing to complain about.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and well equipped. The triple room had a really big bed for two persons, and a smaller bed for one.

The bathroom was clean and elegant, however, it is the time for the wallpainting.

The personnel was nice, we had no communication problems (however, we would have been happy to be warned to the strike of vaporetto and bus drivers).

We had a room with a distant view to Venice, in an environment that is quite elegant and quiet for the price. (And Lido itself worth to visit, if you are tired of Venice and the army of tourist.)

One point for improvement: I think the 10 EUR per day for the internet access is really funny in 2009, if someone really need internet, then 15 EUR will buy a prepaid mobile internet package for 24 hour (that can be consumed in installments so probably it will be sufficient for an average tourist for 1-2 weeks when on holiday).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

we got a triple room, on the garden side, it was very large, the bathroom was huge. I did notice that the rooms on the lagoon side were very small, not worth the extra 50 Euros a day. Great location, water bus from san marco 10 min ride, then bus right to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

I visited this hotel with a German friend, who made the booking online. There was a glitch with the booking, but this was resolved. The hotel itself was better than expected. positive points include a quiet location with superb views towards venice, a lovely garden, clean, modern and well-equipped rooms, reasonably priced and right beside a bus stop. It is a good km from the vaporetti stop, which keeps noise to a minimum, but means reliance on buses for those who are not keen walkers. However, the walk is flat and not difficult with a suitcase in tow. On the negative side, the bathroom was very small, the breakfast mediocre and some of the reception staff rather surly. On balance though, it was a pleasant stay which I would willingly repeat.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Tallinn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2009

The room we got was tiny, when I checked the fire safety room plan on the wall, it did not exist there, it seems it was re-built from a service room or a closet. The bathroom was built into the room and was basically a very cramped plastic cubicle. I'm not a very big person, but it was quite tricky to shower in it. At least the view from the window to the lagoon was quite good. Breakfast was good, I loved the smell of the pastries in the morning :) Location of the hotel wasn't as bad as it seemed at first. The bus connection from the center of Lido was very good, as long as you take the right bus ;) Otherwise you might take an involuntary excursion to the other side of the island and back :) It's a pain to get decent dinner on Lido, so I suggest to eat before taking the vaporetto back to Lido. Well, at least we got a decent price for the stay and just needed a place to shower and sleep.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jyri_L
India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

I have been to the hotel in March 2009 with my wife and my child. By mistake while chatting with the Male Manager, I left my Digital Camera on the reception desk and left for my room. Upon entering my room I realised that I left my camera on the reception desk. Immediately I went back to the reception and asked, but of no avail. They grabbed my camera within 2 minutes. I begged them several times, but they did not return.

I lost all my photographs and memories of my trip. STAFF and the MANAGER IS TOTALLY DISHONEST.

If you plan to stay at this hotel, do it at your own risk.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
10 Thank AOPL

Travelers are raving about these Lido di Venezia hotels

Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

I booked this hotel because i could'nt get a reservation for the whole trip in another hotel i had seen in Murano. Well, i wish i had'nt booked that one to stay my whole trip in the Buon Pesce! The experience was great. It is quite easy to go to Venice by the main Vaporetto Line. The room was cosy, elegant and, in the morning, the breakfast with a wonderful view on St'Marks Campanile was wonderful. Be careful anyway during the night as there is no restaurant in the hotel and there are only a few on the Lido. Though, we found one with a very tasty local food. Great experience as a whole!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank pollitis
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2009

I initially booked this hotel as the photos looked good for the price, and although it was clear (with a bit of research) that it wasn't in Venice proper, it had excellent access to Venice. The price difference was substantial enough to warrant the minor inconvenience of staying slightly further afield. Or so I thought.

Firstly, you have to catch a bus from the airport which takes about an hour to get into the main bus terminal of Venice. You then have to take a short walk (5mins) to the waterbus stop. From there you catch a waterbus to Lido Island (45mins around Venice or 70 mins through Venice - more picturesque). Waterbuses are very frequent. Once on Lido Island, you catch a bus from the waterbus station to the hotel - 5 mins - or walk just over a mile. Buses can be upto half an hour intervals.

The Hotel itself is in a quiet location with good views of Venice proper. The frontage is very acceptable and quite quaint in fact, as is the lobby. We were put into an annex part of the hotel, which could have been nice as it was at the front of the hotel, with a balcony looking onto the lake. Except that it was one of the worst rooms I have stayed in. It was small. And cold. Very cold. The heating did not work despite my repeated requests. Not any fun with a one year old child. During the day there was plenty of building work right outside my balcony, so we couldn't even enjoy the views without builders looking in the room for some eyecandy - so we kept the blinds firmly shut!

We asked to be moved to another room and were told they were fully booked up. On our 3rd day they offered an upgrade to a superior room, which turned out to be an even smaller room but with a better view so we turned it down.

As we couldn't sleep at night because of the shivering and our child sneezing all night, I wanted to bring some breakfast to our room so my wife could stay in bed. The restaurant staff were incredibly rude and made a huge scene in the restaurant in front of the other guests, pointing out the strict 'no food to be taken out of the restaurant' policy. The less said about by sleep-deprived reaction the better! The restaurant only does a cold buffet breakfast. Lunch and dinner have to be dome elsewhere, so eat before you come back to your hotel, or its a long way to the nearest restaurant!

The reception staff are good during the day but the night staff are extremely rude and unhelpful, and more interested in going out for a cigarette than manning the desk.

Overall, I have to say that the magic of Venice and joy of our child running around St Marks Square (SMS) chasing birds was worth the entire experience. The 25 minute commute one way via waterbus from SMS to Lido Island is not too bad. Except that for anything more than 3 days it becomes a pain. Not to mention the diesel fumes. Everything considered, I would have probably paid a bit more to stay a bit closer to the magical Venice.

To compound the whole experience, I found out upon my return that my Amex had been charged TWICE!!! That was in September 2008. January 2009 and I am still awaiting their refund, which they have acknowledged to be a mistake.

Venice is amazing. And expensive. But worth pating a bit more for a better hotel than this. I will certainly learn for next time!

• Liked — Price and views of Venice
  • Disliked — Location and service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Bob123UK