“Fantastic value and character.”
Review of Hotel La Meridiana

Hotel La Meridiana
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I spent three nights at the Albergo, it was fantastic value for money to the extent I stayed an extra night. The location was fine in that it was a two minute walk to a private beach 10e a day.The Vaporetto station was a fiteen minute walk and a further fifteen minutes to St. Mark's Square.I obtained a three day pass which was good value. Rooms were comfortable and the gardens relaxing for breakfast and a late night drink in preference to the ridiclous prices for a beer in the city-7e virtually everywhere.The local bar was a bonus in selling local beer for 7e per litre which was the best I had in Italy.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank LargeWestMidlands_

Reviewed October 1, 2009

La Meridiana is a charming and dated B & B type of dwelling in a very quiet safe neighborhood located five minutes away from the water-bus terminal by car; 10 mins by bus; and 20 mins on foot. We were here for a fancy wedding weekend at the Cipriani Hotel on Guidecca island which took us about about 35 mins door-to-door each time. Other than "budget" restrictions we chose the hotel for several reasons - most importantly 1) the solid reviews posted overall, 2) my aversion for people - particularly tourists (other than ourselves :), noise, and 4) the proximity of a beach... Well, La Meridiana helped us conquer all and offered a nice alternative to the tightly knit architecture and too close for comfort passageways of the main island... While the amenities are incomparable to that of a Cipriani's, you do get peace and quiet - so quiet that we would've slept past 1130am every morning. The rooms are modest, clean and simple. The staff, friendly. We were particularly thankful for Lisa - a gem with grace and the willingness to accommodate our every request. In addition to Italian, she also spoke German and English. The night staff was helpful as well... It's true that La Meridiana is difficult to find but this is the same of almost everything on the island - it is a suburban neighborhood after all but most locals know where everything is. That said, to reach La Meridiana by bus from the main water-bus terminal, get off at the third (3rd) stop going south on the "B". From there, turn left at the end of the block where you'll find a mom-and-pop market, a couple of cafes, and a corner convenience store; leading you to La Meridiana sitting just past a narrow canal. The entrance to the beach is only steps further... Altho Venice itself didn't need more than a day or two at most (think Las Vegas with no casinos), if I were to return, I would easily find myself at La Meridiana again...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eddieshieh
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I ended my 5-week trip to Europe here. I had stayed in San Marco for my first 6 nights in Venice and then left for Tuscany and then came back to Venice for my last few nights before flying out of the country. It was a nice change of pace from San Marco area. And the price was less than half of what I had paid across the lagoon. My room had 2 single beds and a big terrace with a table and chairs and lounge chair. I was surprised at how nice it was. I did not expect a nice view and the big balcony was a bonus. The bathroom was small but clean so I had no problems there. The air conditioning worked very well. The breakfast was decent. The staff was very helpful and friendly. There was an elevator! (another bonus for my suitcases) The beach was maybe a 5 minute walk down the street. The water bus was a hike though so keep that in mind. I bought a water bus/ regular bus pass so then I could take the bus from the water bus when I was too lazy to walk. That cut the walking time in half. It was a very quiet street and a relaxing place to stay. San Marco became very hectic after 6 nights. The other 3-star hotels near the water bus stop on LIDO were not nearly as nice as this place and the others had no character like this one does. I checked rooms in 4 hotels before deciding on this one. It was well-worth the longer walk. I liked my hotel in San Marco very much but had I known about this place, I would have saved several hundred dollars and been just as happy. A Fortuni lamp would not have seemed so expensive in addition to hotel bills!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank kobekeith
Reviewed June 28, 2009

If you are willing to travel the extra distance from the train station or the airport, this place is well worth the trip. Its quiet charm was a pleasure after a day of sightseeing in Venice, and there is regular boat service from Piazza San Marco to Lido. Excellent restaurants nearby and a good breakfast at a reasonable price. Very welcoming staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sammie_9
Reviewed May 22, 2009

The hotel itself is fine; a 30s building with some nice features - incredible terrazzo floors and lovely patio garden. Breakfast was nothing to get excited over- warmed over cornettas, cereal, rolls, the usual melba toast and jam, yogurt (pretty good yogurt). Breakfast isn't until 8am, and if you want coffee before that you will be charged for it. And its from a machine! One push of a button (there was a bar with an espresso machine but nobody operated it). I rented a bicycle from them and had to pay for a half day, even though it was already 4:30 and I only wanted it for an hour. They have an old computer in the lobby area but you will pay extra for that too (5 euro an hour). The other thing we found unsettling was that the gate is locked overnight (we had been told it would remain open). The people on Lido were the most unfriendly of any we encountered in our tour of Italy, and everything on the island is extremely expensive. The beach is also locked up overnight, and covered with tiny cabanas. You cannot even see the water from the road- its like you're shut out. You will feel like a tourist. What is very cool about Lido is that everyone gets around on bikes. But if I go back, I will not stay there, I will pay more to stay on Venice or look around elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009
5  Thank starbanter
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Come out of the Station and cross the Grand Canal either by the Vaporetto (No. 1) or just walk to your right and you come across a newly built footbridge and reach the other side of the station where you will find a bus terminus.
Take either the buses going for Treviso or Venezia (names of these destinations are written on the buses itself). Alight at the Mogliano Veneto stop. (While travelling keep a look on the right side and you can see the hoarding of the Hotel.)
The rooms are fabulous compared to the price you pay and breakfast is not that good. The rooms are spacious and airy and bathrooms are a luxury compared to the disastrous european standards.

3  Thank Dr_B_Maitra
Reviewed April 16, 2009

La Meridiana was a great place to stay. The room was big, clean and the bathroom was huge. It is in walking distance to the beach and the vaporetti to Venice. The restaurants are inexpensive on Lido. It was nice just to get away and relax in lido.
I took the recommendations of people on the trip advisor to eat @ restaurant Africa and the portions were good and tasty. If you are going to eat in Venice make sure the price on the menu on the outside of the restaurant is the same menu that you receive when you sit down to eat.
Vinnette