“Good value hotel away from the hustle and bustle of the main island”
Review of Hotel La Meridiana

Hotel La Meridiana
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
Reviewed May 2, 2011

This is the second time my partner and I been to Venice and the second time we've stayed on Lido.

If you're unfamiliar with Venice, Lido is a separate island from where the main tourist spots like St Mark's Square are but is easily accessible by Vaporetto. A number of Vaporetto lines terminate at Lido, they are very frequent and there is even a night service running until 4am. Hotels on Lido are generally a lot cheaper than on the main island and will be quieter and less touristy.

The Meridiana is a 15 minute or so walk from the Vaporetto stop in a quiet area a short walk from the beach. The shops and cafes in the town centre are a ten minute walk too.
We were given the Casanova room (I don't think he stayed there though) which was a nice size with a very comfy bed and a very nice bathroom. Also in the room was a minibar with space to put your own stuff in and a safe. Our room also had a little conservatory with a table and chairs to sit own on which was lockable.

The hotel stated they had free wifi when we booked but in reality it was just the first 15 minutes free with the price rising to a whopping €2 per 15 minutes after that. We only used 5 minutes of the free allowance on my ipod touch but when we tried to log in again later it said we'd used all our free allowance already so presumably it doesn't log you off the wifi despite disconnecting the connection which may be worth bearing in mind for mobile device users.

Breakfast wasn't included when we booked and was €5 per person extra. We paid for breakfast on our first morning but didn't think it was worth the extra cost and went to a local cafe the next morning instead. The hotel breakfast was a fairly standard continental spread with bread, ham, cheese etc but not a great deal of choice and they also only had vending machine coffee which is a deal breaker for us.

As we were going to a wedding that weekend, I needed to iron a shirt and expected to just pick up an iron and ironing board from reception like pretty much every hotel I've ever stayed in round the world. Not here though, the receptionist informed us that they don't allow guests to iron their own clothes for safety reasons and that this was common practice for hotels everywhere and they had a laundry service available instead. In fairness, they did iron my shirt very quickly and far better than I ever manage myself at home and it only cost €4 which is a small price to pay for not having to do housework on holiday.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay especially as we were staying over easter weekend and everywhere else in Venice seemed to be charging a small fortune. The room was very pleasant, quiet and comfortable and the staff were all very helpful.

If breakfast is important to you, skip their disappointing offering and head up the road into town where there's a choice of cafes to get a decent espresso and croissant or similar.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the breakfast
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Martin K

Reviewed October 29, 2010

I booked this hotel just 2 days before my trip to Venice throw their website because price is cheaper. The hotel located in not the main venice island but Lido is beautiful island just right front of the main island ( Takes 10 mints from San Marco Square ) and it was absolutely staining experience to take a boat seeing venice form the water !! The boat is 6.50 euro ( 2010) a ride so, back and forth main-island to Lido, we spent 13 euro per person. This is extra but the hotel is absolutely cheaper than staying the main-island.So, will be anyway good for budget travelers ! The boat port to hotel was about 15 mints walking, it was present walk. Next morning, we walked on the beach to go to the port, it was absolutely nice short walk and I recommend to do ! About the hotel room, Our Room was big, clean, quiet, nothing to complain. Break fast was reasonable and good deal to have it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank userd
Reviewed October 9, 2010

the hotel is 10 mins by train from Venice mestre station.
the staff is very friendly and the service is reasonable.
the rooms are good considering the money put in.
dining place is very big and good varieties of food

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I booked this trip very late, 48 hours before travelling and at the height of the season in August in Venice and on a budget, beggars couldn't necessarily be choosers.

However, we found this hotel to be fine for our needs.

Rather than go straight to the hotel on arrival we took dinner first, meaning that by the time we found the hotel is was close to 1am, but the night porter was friendly and efficient, as were the rest of the staff.

We chose the Lido because we knew we were going to spend more time on the beach than in Venice itself so was delighted to find that the hotel is literally 30 seconds from the beach. The hotel has access to some of the huts on the private beach but as they are shared, two thirds of them have views of, erm, other beach huts and there is a not insignificant charge for them we chose not to bother. There is nothing to stop you going on to the private beach without paying for the hut and just putting a towel down which is what we did. The private section is relatively deserted compared to the public section about a kilometre away or so.

Back to the hotel...there was one problem on arrival where the shower spewed more water up and out of the cubicle rather than in it, but this problem was sorted following a reminder or two.

The clean, well maintained room had a minibar, which I guess didn't get used much...as we found that more than half its contents were out of date, some going back to 2007! We left these out with a note and they were replaced without fuss.

Breakfast was extra but we didn't bother with it, partly because we weren't always up and about in time but also because we quite like to go to a bar en route to where we are going, and get a real cappuccino and a nice fresh pastry.

A great value, no frills hotel in a great location for the beach.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank darrenposh
Reviewed June 6, 2010

La Meridiana is located in Lido outside of Venice. Travel to and from Venice is easy but make sure you get the appropriate public transportation card to save money. The area is residential- very relaxing and the beach is very close. The room is large. The breakfast room and grounds are above average.The beaches are more for sunning than swimminng.

Everything was ala carte. Unlike most hotels they charges for a continental breakfast, they charge for using their computer and they charge for bicycles(that is if they were working in the first place). The rooms need some renovation. We had issues with the locks and the TV. Tthe plumbing and tile work need upgrading. Our biggest complaint was that we had prebooked an extra day. We had sent an email(got no response) and when we arrived the Director would not make any adjustment. We were very dissapointed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank agentrr
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Firstly let me say that as far as hotels go I am pretty easy to please and often read reviews and wonder what people are complaining about. I wouldn't normally bother to write a review, but as I selected La Meridiana on the good reviews posted and not one poor one amongst them, I wanted to share our experience.
La Meridiana seemed to fit the bill, small friendly hotel and not too formal, good price via Last Minute and on the Lido where we wanted to be. The decor was as we expected from previous Italian hotels of this rating, a bit dated but functional. The room was OK for what we paid but maybe the management should consider upgrading the TV channel options for foreign visitors, even if it is only a news channel.
The first problem was when we took the spare pillows from the cupboard and realised that the covers had not been changed. Only one glass for the mini bar and the plastic cups were never replaced after the first day. Only small matters I know and easily rectified , but when all added up and it becomes a pain.
On our second night it was quite warm and the mosquitos were about with a vengence , so we had to leave the windows closed. As the room temperature crept above 26 degrees we tried to switch on the air conditioning. It would not run and the digital display was telling us that it was held off due to internal temperature.We reported it to reception who promptly came up and pressed a few buttons before telling me that he would go down and reset it lower to allow it to come on. After about 15 mins we hadn't heard any more and it was still not running. At reception there was a different man there who just gave me a replacement door card (dont know why they left it for me to chase it up!). Anyway, guess what, that didn't work either and when I went down again he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I dont know" probably didn't care either. It appears that from their central computer they can hold off the A/C by inputting a high minimum room temperature, so we spent the night sweltering.
The info on the hotel also makes a big thing about the garden area. Well, the plastic seats and tables in the garden had obviouslybeen left out throughout winter and little or no effort appeared to have been put in to clean them, it all resembled a ramshackle beachside cafe that had not opened for the summer.
Things didn't improve on checking out either. I had booked via Last Minute and paid in full. When I checked in they kept the voucher and accompanying info. As I handed my room card back I was told that I hadn't paid and the figure they were asking for was about 35 euros more than what I expected. They were adamant that they had not been paid and as I didn't have the info any more I was on the verge of handing over my credit card. A flash of genius and I asked them if I could use their internet to get the details from my e-mails. They agreed but as the internet did not work I had to ring the UK to ask my son to check for me. The result being that yes I had paid and the amount they had claimed was 35 euros too much. By this time the receptionist had obviously realised and suddenly was apologetic and confirmed I was correct.
This may all seem a bit trivial but on a short 3 night stay it all mounts up and takes the shine off your trip.
On the good side, it is reasonably priced (assuming you get what you think you are paying for), breakfast was adequate as it was only 5 euros each and the hoteli is near the beach and a pleasant walk to the ferry terminal.
Would I come here again, no I dont think so, it wasn't a dive but I am sure there are other similar type of hotels that are better.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank rdclondon
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Firstly, I need to say that I just LIKED this hotel. I'm not sure how to put my finger on it but it had a good 'feel'.

When staying in Venice I prefer to stay on the Lido for four reasons; 1) The LIdo is cheaper. 2) It's served by water buses all night; so, unlike other cheaper hotels off the main island of Venice, such as on the mainland (Mestro), you still feel you're IN Venice. 3) Some hotels on the Lido feel 'relaxed' in a way that a central Venice hotel never can. 4) Restaurants are better value on the Lido for dinner,

The BIG downside to this hotel is the distance from the main Lido vapporeto stop. The hotel web-site talks about getting a bus; or a walk of 10 minutes....but the reality is that it's usually faster to walk; but the walk is about 20 mins. This is where the trouble starts....with the advertised descriptions on the hotel web-site. They know full well that you'd have to be a fit marathon runner to even make it in 10 minutes running, but in Italy that kind of description doesn't earn the wrath of the equivalent of British 'Trading Standards' or 'Advertising Standards'. It's a good 20 minutes walk.

The other no-no is that they advertise free wireless Internet in their rooms, The reality is that if you're in a room above the first floor, the reception is awful or non-existent. I complained to the manager on my first night and he promised to take the description off the website, but as of the time of writing, they're still falsely advertising the quality of the wireless Internet reception. Having said that, it should be appreciated that they have the foresight to provide wireless Internet free of charge.....unlike the majority of Italian hotels.

That's all the negative stuff out of the way. Other than that, it's a lovely comfortable 3 star hotel. I loved it. It's easily the nicest and best value hotel I've ever stayed in, In Venice, When I complained about the Internet connection, and as I walked away, I did get a few under-the-breath gruff comments that I wasn't meant to hear, but I gave as good as I got and survived! The staff are really helpful. There's a lovely quite garden with lots of seating. The breakfast is OK...minimal but sufficient. I arrived back every night quite late and could get a proper coffee made (2 or 3 Euros). They printed some stuff I wanted with great efficiency and only charged 10 cents a page.

As I said at the beginning, I just LIKED this hotel. It's comfortable, warm, efficient, good value and welcoming. I will certainly look it up again the next time I come to Venice and if they can do the 65 Euro/night rate, then it's worth a repeat stay. If only they'd stop being a little economical with the truth on their website, all would be perfect.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo