The Hotel has a few good points;
The Excelsior is in a superb location, enabling you to get away from the constant hustle and bustle of the main island of Venice. Having stayed in Venice before, i wanted a quieter option, and the Excelsior gives you that.
We had a city view on the 6th floor, and not a sea view. You must remember how far you are away from the city however...
Using the free hotel shuttle boat from the pier near St Marks square is very handy, and gives you a romantic view of the city every time you leave or approach it. It's quite fun too.
Restaurant food in the evenings was of the highest quality.
Some of the staff are a little cold, inattentive even to guests that might want something. You should never see staff arguing in public areas of a hotel, that is just unprofessional, and causes an atmosphere of stress which was exactly the kind of thing i was trying to get away from. This happened twice during our stay.
The room was fine, charming even, but a new flat screen TV does not make a room 'modernised'.
Bed was comfy, shower was ok but you got the occasional freeze/burn when it felt like it.
The use of the cabins on the beach is not included in the lofty price per night, which is a harsh to say the least for a hotel with a private beach. Especially when you find out the price.
Other things to note; Well as i said before, i do not feel that i got good value for money overall. It is expensive for what you get, and the lack of detail denies it from being a real 5 star hotel.
Attitude and helpfulness of the staff varies greatly. (for the record, bar, restaurant, concierge and shuttle captains were superb, housekeeping and other front of house staff not so good).
Wifi was poor, almost unusable in the room and anywhere outside the main lounge.
TV channels on offer seem to be news, news or news in various languages.
Minibar was expensive, limited and not all that cold.
There is only one restaurant, excellent food but expensive. The only other alternative were limited and pricey bar snacks ( €21 for a club sandwich €10 for a small bottle of beer ). Eateries on the island are plentiful though.
Housekeeping was a bit random- some days we would get two bath towels, other days just one? After asking for a late checkout, housekeeping staff kept on hurrying us along. Maybe reception had not informed them of the change, but the attitude was not friendly.
Breakfast was tasty, but the hot buffet items were warm, not hot. The breakfast restaurant room, at beach level, also seemed a bit out of keeping for a 5 star hotel.
I think it speaks volumes that the hotel was not anywhere close to being full.
So in summary, it was an average experience, not a great one, and and such, disappointing. I didn't want a modern hotel, but the charm, decor and location cannot make up for the fact that it is lacking in many areas. I didnt want to complain at checkout because i didnt want the stress, but on reflection i probably should have asked for some of my money back.
It did not however, spoil our holiday. Venice is quite magical.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With its unique beachfront location overlooking the sparkling Adriatic Sea, the five-star Hotel Excelsior Venice is uniquely positioned to offer guests a tranquil haven just 15-minutes from Venice on one of our courtesy boats. Located on the fashionable Venice Lido beach, Excelsior was built in 1908 and quickly became the ultimate destination for the world’s rich and famous. Today, Hotel Excelsior, with its unique Moorish architecture and enviable beach location, continues to offer guests the same five-star elegance and splendour that has been enjoyed for more than 100 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Excelsior Venice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Excelsior Venice Lido Hotel
- Westin Venice
- Venice Westin
- Hotel Excelsior Venice Province Of Venice, Italy