My husband and I booked this trip as a treat for ourselves and we weren't disappointed! The hotel is in Lido, which isn't mainland Venice, but about 15-20 mins on a river bus and about a 50 min journey from Marco Polo airport.
On arrival at the Lido ferry port, we walked about 5-10 mins up the main high street and found the hotel. The exterior is impressive with a Gaudi inspired design, however our room was a little disappointing, as the decor and furniture was simple, but dated. The room, though, was clean and the shower was the best power shower I've ever experienced!!! The room has Sky tv and you can purchase WiFi for €5 for your stay (they do give youb20mins free) not a massive expense, but it should be free! Check in was simple and the staff are friendly, accommodating and speak perfect English. Breakfast was included in our trip and the breakfast room was lovely, light, airy and sunny. Breakfast was typically Italian, with fresh rolls, homemade cakes and pastries, but also a hot and cold buffet-perfect for a long day of walking! I can't comment on the spa and restaurant as did not use either.
Lido itself, at that time of year, was quiet, picturesque, with an older crowd. It's good if you want to retire from the hustle and bustle of Venice, with some nice little cafe's and shops.
Navigating the river buses was straightforward and the ticket staff are very helpful. We bought a 48hr pass at €30, good value considering a one trip journey to San Marco is €7! You can't, however, use this pass to get to the airport (a return journey from the airport is €27).
We experienced all the typical sites of Venice, saw a classical concert - Vivaldi Four Seasons for only €25! I would highlight that there is not much nightlife beyond operas/restaurants etc, however this didnt dampen our experience. I would highly recommend going at the end of Feb, as the summer crowds havnt yet arrived and the canals don't smell-perfect!!
Overall the ideal, romantic getaway and I would definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Albergo AUSONIA & HUGARIA is a historic residence in Venice with a one-of-a-kind atmosphere with a Thai SPA and wellness center. The hotel is just a few minutes from the dock where the "vaporetto", the local public water-bus transportation, leave every 10 minutes for Saint Mark's Square, the downtown of Venice. The suggestive boat trip is just 10 minutes long and takes you through the Saint Mark's basin.The hotel is a welcoming gem in Liberty style with period furniture, large frescoed halls, perfect for any type of event, a renowned restaurant and rooms with every comfort for a romantic and exclusive stay.Every year, many national and international stars select the Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria for their stay in Lido during the Mostra Internazionale d’Arte Cinematografica (the Venice Film Festival) to appreciate the beauty and charm of the timeless structure and the superior service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Ausonia And Hungaria Wellness & Spa On Venice Lido Hotel
- Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria Province Of Venice, Italy