“Faded Grandeur!”

Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Lido di Venezia
London
“Faded Grandeur!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Faded grandeur! This hotel is not what I would consider a 4 star hotel, the plus side is that it is easy to find due to its distinct outside and the fact it is very close to the vaperetto stop. Downsides where that the room we stayed in was pretty shabby, mismatched furniture and in need of re-decoration. Breakfast was pretty terrible you had to pay extra for fresh orange juice, coffee or poached eggs. Also we were hurried through as the staff tidied up around us at 10am breakfast was served till 10:30am! Ok if you get a discount rate but otherwise not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clpowell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oakville, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I spent one night there earlier this month having been booked into this hotel by our cruise line. We wanted a day in Venice ahead of leaving on a 10 day Mediterranean cruise. We currently have a complaint registered with the cruise line ("Regent" which is a higher end line) as they chose this hotel for us for our pre-cruise stay and, as well, booked us into a Rome hotel for a three night post cruise stay. Absolutely no complaints about the Rome hotel.

Our room in the "Hungaria" was so disappointing. It was cold and uninviting. There were no pictures/wallpaper on any of the the walls and, other than the purple canopy over the bed, it totally lacked any warmth or ambiance. The room was spartan and the furniture was very basic. I think we were put in one of the "economy" rooms. To be fair, I'm not certain whether this was the fault of the hotel or the cruise line but it certainly was not what we were expecting from a 4* hotel. I do know that there are "fancier" rooms in the hotel.

Further, I totally agree with a previous reviewer who critiqued the breakfast area and found it to be lacking. It was buffet style, which was fine. However, my scrambled eggs were cold and the bacon underdone. It was so unappetizing, I couldn't face eating it. Coffee was available from a push button machine and, at best, was mediocre. Breakfast was abysmal. There was only one woman overseeing the room and it seemed it was all she could do to do whatever it was she was trying to do. Motels have probably got better buffets.

My husband and I are seasoned travellers and have stayed in many kinds of accommodations over all our years of travel, from motels to three to five star lodgings, so I feel confident in saying that this hotel, based on the breakfast experience alone, needs to be downgraded from a four star to a three star.

Room Tip: If someone else, like a travel agent or cruise line, is going to make your accommodation arrangement...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank haftatravel
Rushden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on a Trafalgar tour. The tour director hyped it up and we were disappointed. The breakfast room had one Asian lady looking after it and she just about coped. There were two large busloads in the hotel, eating at staggered times. We had breakfast which had generally all gone cold. We had an all inclusive dinner. My wife was admonished for wanting white wine with the rice starter and red wine with the pork main - even though both were being served from caraffes. The tour director had informed them that my wife is diabetic and when she declined the sweet course was told that fruit was not on the menu. The tour director sorted that. The meal consisted of two tablespoons on rice risotto for starter, three thin slices of stuffed pork roll @ 5cm diameter with some sweetened peas - no vegetables or potatoes, and a blancmange type small sweet course. I drink my beer in large glasses, they served theirs in 'shots'. After two 'shots' I was told that only two drinks were allowed. I ordered more and didn't pay. As we left the dining room the waiter made some inappropriate comment. As we were leaving the next day I ignored him. We went to a fast food outlet to get more food. There is a sign outside denominating a **** hotel. I guess that some disgruntled guest had tried to obliterate one of the stars!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jimbells
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in May 2012 for our 25th wedding anniversary (tagging our 12 year old daughter along). Our room was brillant, plenty of space for all three of us, the staff were absolutely amazing, extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the dock, the beach was beautiful, we could not fault any of it. The Africa restuarant is a must, family run resturant, home cooked food, reasonable prices. Portion sizes are very big, be careful not to over order! Breakfast was great for us, plenty to eat, not sure why anybody would complain.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria on Wednesday 9 May 2012 after having read a number of comments about this hotel on Trip Advisor. I decided to take a chance on this hotel even though some of the comments I read were not too positive. As a result, I was a bit nervous about staying in this hotel. Some of the negative comments referred to the hotel requiring re-decorating. Yes, it is true that the red carpet between the front gate and entrance is well worn. However, I don't think that there's anything else that requires too much attention. The hotel has an "old style" or "traditional" feel about it which I found attractive and which "grew on me" the more time I spent at the hotel. It's different to staying at a Hilton, but I'd say it's just as comfortable. The only other "negative" I can think of is that the shower screen in my bathroom was not wide enough. Consequently, I ended up creating a bit of a water lake in the bathroom when taking showers. (Apologies to the cleaner, but I couldn't help it).

The bed was nice and firm (very comfortable) and the room was clean. The buffet breakfast was not a "Hilton breakfast" but more than adequate. It will fill you up unless you're very demanding. I didn't have to eat for quite a few hours after stuffing myself with all the goodies on offer! (I eat alot by the way!).

Let me provide you with the following advice:

1) Breakfast as early as possible in case the food runs out (I say this based on a negative comment on Trip Advisor). When I stayed at this hotel, there was more than enough food but I had breakfast at around 8AM.

2) Ask for a room away from lifts and stairs. I say this based on a negative comment on Trip Advisor complaining about the noise. I followed this advise and spent a very calm and relaxing stay. (Send an e-mail a few days before your stay or make this request at reservation).

3) Ask for double-bed if you wish one; otherwise they will probably provide you with two twin beds. (Send an e-mail a few days before your stay or make this request at reservation).

4) Book directly with the hotel as you might get a better price (in my case, only £2 or £3 saving
per night).

5) If you are celebrating a birthday or anniversary, say so. (Send an email to the hotel a few days before your stay or mention it when reserving the room). The hotel was kind enough to provide a bottle of Prosecco (Italian Brut).

PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TOO MUCH TO THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS POSTED ABOUT THIS HOTEL ON TRIP ADVISOR. People that leave negative comments in connection with this hotel are being very demanding (which is good as my stay would probably not have been as good if it wasn't for people like them. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them!). This hotel is not a 5 star hotel, but it's comfortable and in a pleasant area within close proximity to central Venice (by waterboat). Go for it!

OTHER REMARKS:
1.BUS TO VENICE: If you're flying to Venice-Treviso airport, take the Barzi coach to Piazzale Roma which only costs €13 return (at 9 May 2012). The duration of journey was around 40 minutes. You can buy tickets on the coach for cash or at Venice-Treviso airport ticket booth on the ground floor (at the ticket booth they accept credit cards). The ticket booth at the airport is located on the ground floor (turn right as you come out of arrivals). The Barzi bus will probably be waiting on the right as you leave the terminal building. Alternatively, one can use ATVO buses which take 60-70 minutes to reach destination and cost the same amount (turn left as you leave the terminal building if you wish to catch the ATVO bus).

2.HOTEL LOCATION AND HOW TO GET THERE BY WATERBOAT FROM VENICE CITY CENTRE: The hotel is only about 2-3 minutes walk from the port at Lido (which I think is also called Elisabetta). (By the way, I don't understand why someone felt the need to complain on Trip Advisor about a lack of taxis waiting at the port to take you to the hotel. You don't need one if you're able bodied unless you're carrying a ridiculous amount of luggage! By the way, I normally saw taxis around the Lido port so this should not be an issue unless you're unlucky). The street that the hotel is located in is practically straight in front of the Lido port. You can catch the "vaporetto" (water boat) to get you to Lido port. Take waterboat number 1 for the more scenic route if you can spare about 1 hour to travel down the Grand Canal. Waterboat number 1 runs up and down the Grand Canal stopping at each of the six “sestiere” (neighbourhoods). During the evening, it can be scenic and romantic (when lights on).Alternatively, one can catch waterboat 5.2 / 5.1 for the quicker route from / to the centre of Venice (I think it took about 20 minutes to get to St Mark's square “Piazza San Marco” from Lido port). I would advise you to buy the vaporetto pass for either 24 / 36 / 48 hours (or longer) depending on your stay. The 24 hour pass was €18 and allowed free travel for 24 hours from the time that the pass was scanned. (Please remember to get it scanned before you enter the boat; otherwise you could be fined). You can buy the vaporetto tickets at a number of places e.g. the Ferrovia port (outside the Venice train station or in the train station itself). Ferrovia is just a few metres away from Piazzale Roma. You can also probably buy the waterboat tickets at Piazzale Roma too.

3. RESTAURANTS: It was challenging to find good quality food for a reasonable price in Venice. However, by luck, we stumbled across a restaurant called Casin de Nobili situated near Accademia (address: Papaja S.n.c Dorsoduro 2765 Venezia). The closest waterboat stop to this restaurant is “CA Rezzonico”). The restaurant is situated in one of the back streets close to S Barnaba. We visited the restaurant on Thursday 10 May at about 3PM and we ordered from the Tourist Menu (€19 for a 3 course meal; excluding drinks). The quality of each dish (especially the dessert) was very high. The restaurant is well presented but has a curious name. We asked why it was given this name and we were told that this location was used for prostitution a number of years ago. Don't let this put you off! If you want to eat in Lido, there are a number of restaurants around but don't expect too much! You can pick up Tourist Menu's with a price range from anywhere in between €16 and €25 with varying degrees of quality. Follow your nose and take a chance! However, we ate at Ristorante / Pizzeria Isola D'Oro (address: Riviera S M Elisabetta 2, Lido) and had a pleasant meal with sea view and good service. Go for it unless you can find better.

4.BEACH: There is a beach very close to the hotel. Australians may not be that impressed with this beach but it's comparable to a number of Spanish beaches...so not too bad. If I remember rightly, take first right out of the hotel, walk along until the first or second right and you should see the beach. It's just a 10 minute walk or so.

5.SUPERMARKETS: There are a number of small shops located near the hotel where you can buy items such as water, etc. Items in these shops were cheaper than in central Venice. Explore the area in front of the hotel and you'll find these shops.

Room Tip: See my review for tips on how to choose a good room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
22 Thank Richard V
Athens, Attiki, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

A really special hotel with unique wellness & spa service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Milan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Travelling with tho kids an wife, two nights stay, booked from the hotel interent site (very efficent). Offered a "modern suite" but nothing modern there to be honest. Room was clean but too narrow, low roof, one bath room only., while a freind travelling with me got the same modern suite two rooms and two bathroom basically. Furniture is old enough,need a rifurbishment. Food is below avg, if u are italian, nothing special, dining room is ok, staff is sometime not aware what they are doing (asked for some pork steaks and got chicken.!!!) Breakfast is poor quality, but employees deserve a special mention for their efforts and service offered. Spa is good but you pay for that. All in all good for a budget holiday..Venice is much more expensive i guess. Location is ok , close to ferry and Vaporetto. Would stay again but avoid restaurant (al carte is too expensive for what you get). Piano man is ok but.... who cares. Just bed and brakfast....many restaurants around...

Room Tip: Avoid 4th floor , roofs are too low.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family