We have just returned from a four night trip to Venice, where we stayed at the Grande Albergo on the Lido Island. We arrived on an Easy Jet flight into Marco Polo airport. We then took the blue-line river boat to the Lido. It cost 25 Euro each for a return ticket which we brought from the machine in the airport (selecting English as our preferred choice). The journey took about 40 mins before we stopped at the Lido. On disembarking we walked up Elizabeta Avenue and found the hotel easily. It was about 200metres on the right hand side and is very grande looking.
The staff in reception were very friendly and helpful as were all the staff at the hotel. The room was an economy room and it was clean and comfortable, and by European standards - a decent size. The only downside for me was that we ordered a double room and found that we had two single beds pushed together - also, there was no tea/coffee facilities in the room.
Breakfast was ok. There was plenty of choice, including a fresh fruit selection, which I particularly like. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant as we wanted to experience as much as we could in Venice, but I did have a massage in the Wellness Centre in the basement, which was excellent and cost around 75 Euro. One thing to point out, is that you have to pay 20 Euro each, each time you use the Spa. The Spa has a Sauna, Steamroom and Jacuzzi. It is probably in the small print that they charge 20 Euro each, but I wasn't aware. I kind of assumed that it would be free for hotel guests...
Venice itself is amazing! The wine, the water and the weather. It's very pretty and was worth every penny (except for the 'coverto' - cover charge - and 'servico' - service charge, that you have to look out for). However, if you look carefully, you can find some lovely places where this is not applicable. You can buy a 72hr water bus ticket for 33 Euro at the Lido stop. But make sure you ask for your change.
To sum it up, this hotel is a safe bet if you're going to Venice. It's clean and tidy and the staff are friendly and helpful. The location on the Lido is good and the water bus into St Marks and other places, runs frequently and is a good price. It's probably being a bit ambitious calling itself a 4 star, but If I went back to Venice and was looking for somewhere to stay, at the price I paid, I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grande Albergo AUSONIA & HUGARIA is a historic residence in Venice with a one-of-a-kind atmosphere with a Thai SPA and wellness center. The hotel is just a few minutes from the dock where the "vaporetto", the local public water-bus transportation, leave every 10 minutes for Saint Mark's Square, the downtown of Venice. The suggestive boat trip is just 10 minutes long and takes you through the Saint Mark's basin.The hotel is a welcoming gem in Liberty style with period furniture, large frescoed halls, perfect for any type of event, a renowned restaurant and rooms with every comfort for a romantic and exclusive stay.Every year, many national and international stars select the Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria for their stay in Lido during the Mostra Internazionale d’Arte Cinematografica (the Venice Film Festival) to appreciate the beauty and charm of the timeless structure and the superior service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Ausonia And Hungaria Wellness & Spa On Venice Lido Hotel
- Grande Albergo Ausonia & Hungaria Province Of Venice, Italy