“Genuine restaurant for locals”

Ristorante Gran Viale
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This restaurant is busy with locals all year round. I was here in December when there was a large but well-behaved party celebrating Christmas with an office outing. Again in August there was at least one large local family party having a birthday outing and several older couples for whom it is obviously a reliable local venue.

Having got our faces known a little bit in some places on the Lido (by eating out in the Winter) we now get the friendly greeting and the standard ten per cent off the menu prices. But here we are not known and they are not so charming. On the other hand the service is good, (just as good as Pizza Express for example), the pizza is excellent and the prices reasonable. The waitress knew immediately we were only interested in things made on site and we tried the ubiquitous tiramisu which was lovely. One between two was ample.

The birthday party next to us were eating lobster which looked wonderful but maybe they make more effort for locals? I am often sad to see how tourists treat the menu, the food and the staff. They seem to go in expecting to be robbed and are not very friendly themselves. My experience is that the restaurants which offer three course for 15 euros are doing everyone a disservice. Better spend your 15 euros on a pizza and some house wine here at the Gran Viale.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

On the positive side, we had booked a table and it was available when we arrived despite them being very busy and turning people away. However the food was at best average and the service was extremely poor. The lady who served us went out of her way to avoid eye contact and just focus on what she wanted to do - no hint or acknowledgmnet that she recognised that we needed something. I had to ask 3 times for the bill whenever I was able to get anyones attention. If i had the exact money I would have left it and walked out but unfortunately i had to pay by card and that took another 20 minutes. I am not someone who doesn't enjoy a leisurely meal - but the slowness and the absence of anything which looked like a smile will mean that I never return here.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I know this may sound like a cliche, but they really had some excellent pizzas, a lot of varienty on the menu. it was really good.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We picked the Gran Viale as our final meal of a 5 day stay. The location and atmosphere is very good and the menu vast – which may be the issue. We found the starters and one of our main courses good – but the other three very disappointing. I would recommend this restaurant for a standard Italian meal – but nothing more than Pasta or Pizza’s.
This was the most expensive meal on our stay and the most disappointing.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The food was very good , the staff were very friendly. The 2euro cover charge is clearly marked on the menu and compared to other places in venice is very cheap.we will be going back here again even if we are not staying on the lido .